English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 March 2009, 07:49   #21
DC33
Zone Friend

OK people....

As far as getting the PC to read the DVD?... I am afraid that this is not going to happen in a hurry....

I have tried a whole of different options during the burn process and it comes back all the same. It can be read by the amiga but not the PC.

My original aim was to fit all the files possible from my amiga onto a DVD just as a backup. Considering I can re-burn all my stuff onto DVD via the PC and read it back with my 1200, I do not see this being a problem whatsoever, other than taking a little longer that I would have hoped for.

Considering the time and effort that it would take to burn a DVD with an amiga, I think it's best not to. HOWEVER, I have managed to burn onto a DVD with MakeCD, so I feel somewhat very satisfied with my small but yet, self important goal.
Old 20 March 2009, 10:17   #22
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
so the pc cant read the dvd but can you read it in winuae ?
Old 20 March 2009, 10:47   #23
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Can a mod please correct the thread title
Old 20 March 2009, 10:51   #24
Jope
-

Heh.. :----D
Old 20 March 2009, 10:51   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
For the sake of all carp and foppies, please don't
Old 20 March 2009, 11:07   #26
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Whatever....!! IJDGAFAM !!!
Old 20 March 2009, 11:09   #27
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
so the pc cant read the dvd but can you read it in winuae ?
I thought about this myself and will test it out later on. Chances are that it will work, but as I said b4, it wasn't my initial goal.
Old 20 March 2009, 11:14   #28
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
but youve started something now DC33 hehehehe might as well see it to the end

bring back vdv what do we want vdv where do we want it oh er in my amiga i think
Old 20 March 2009, 11:20   #29
DC33
Zone Friend

Oi! Oi! Oi!
Cause we all know that we're gonna f'n win
Old 20 March 2009, 17:21   #30
exoticaga

Ok try this incase you have an incompatible upper or lower filter thats stopping the pc from seeing it.

Get ImgBurn if you haven't got it. Click on settings I/O to make sure its set with SPTI Microsoft.

Click on 'Mode' and select 'Read' and see if the disk is seen. Then if it can copy by selcting a 'Destination' folder for the image.

If that works then it should work for us all, its then the upper and lower filters that is stopping it being read on your os. There is a tool i saw that can show you the filters in use, will find it if ImgBurn work ok. ImgBurn is just a test to see if the pc os accepts it.

Btw what os are you using XP or Vista, with xp i have tested similar.
Old 20 March 2009, 21:40   #31
DC33
Zone Friend

@cosmic
No it did not work under winuae

@exoticaga
Interesting... let me give it a go and I will get back to you all with the results.

Using XP

Last edited by DC33; 20 March 2009 at 22:09.
Old 20 March 2009, 22:28   #32
DC33
Zone Friend

Ok folks,

Tried ImgBurn without any luck. When I selected read, the disc is recognised however it comes up as being empty. This would make sense as the session in MakeCD could not be closed due to the s/w limitations themselves (does not recognise DVDs). You will recall in my earlier post that I was able to burn on DVD by ignoring MakeCD requesters advising that I was burning over the allowable limits.

If it's any consolation, at least the DVD can be read with a real amiga so for me, this is just fine as it is what I was after. I do use WinUAE however I do prefer using my 1200. As I have all my amiga stuff on PC burnt DVD's I don't have an issue with not being able to read the amiga burnt discs on the PC under WinUAE.

I would be happy to try other suggestions if anyone has any.

Old 21 March 2009, 03:34   #33
exoticaga

Try the same with a dvd-rw sometimes they can be better than dvdr. If works make a copy on the pc to dvdr and see if the new disc is ok in the amiga.

ImgBurn can help you can set it to burn ISO9660 only if needed to. Maybe has other functions to tailor a burn to be an amiga disc. Though if i recall ImgBurn only works with dvd discs not cd (as dvddecriptor new tool)

Maybe Makecd can be used from cli, to fixate the dvd you have written. Or fixate from within Makecd.
Old 21 March 2009, 04:43   #34
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
MakeCD should support most ATAPI IDE burners afaik. From memory, I could write CDs using a LiteOn DVD burner connected to a SCSI-IDE bridge.
Tell me about this SCSI - IDE bridge and where do I get one for an Amiga 2000?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 21 March 2009, 06:55   #35
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@Loedown

I assume you have no IDE and a slow CPU but have SCSI so you can then try to use a DVD Burner?
Search the internet, ebay and EAB for Acard 7720U (50 pin) or Acard 7720UW (68 pin). You can also buy direct from Acard.
You should then be able to at least read DVDs (at slow maybe 1-2X DVD speed depending on SCSI version) and burn CDs. Other people have used other adapters, but that is what I have used.

Keep in mind however that I did not try to burn DVDs, only read them, and that was only using the Acard 7720UW. It should probably work, but no guarantee (not all burners may be fully compatible) - maybe someone else says they have done so.

@exoticaga

DVDRWs would be better in that if it doesn't work you haven't wasted a DVD, but other than that how so can they sometimes be better? I thought the program would write to them in exactly the same way?

@DC33

Maybe it would have a better chance of working if you could finalise the DVD. My DVD recorder DVDs are only readable on PCs which can't read DVD-RAM when the disc has been finalised. I think it may have something to do with the DVDVR recording mode.

Last edited by Calgor; 21 March 2009 at 07:00.
Old 21 March 2009, 07:55   #36
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post

Maybe it would have a better chance of working if you could finalise the DVD. My DVD recorder DVDs are only readable on PCs which can't read DVD-RAM when the disc has been finalised. I think it may have something to do with the DVDVR recording mode.
I would agree 110%. The fact that the DVD cannot be finalised is the problem. If there was a way to change the disc size MakeCD looks for (from CD to DVD size) then I assume the problem would be no more.

Is there anyone out there who can do this? I am not a programmer so I would not have a clue, however I am certain someone might just have the know-how..??
Old 21 March 2009, 20:04   #37
exoticaga

DVDRW seems to read and recover more data than dvdr from a bad discs. So maybe better to work with what the os like best or better type of disc. Tat i'm thinking from pc recovering side of things and pcdos. Maybe it is the same for amiga maybe not. Trial and error will find out.

I don't know if there is any tools that can finalize on the amiga or if aminet has any tool. Is why i suggested trying from cli commands for makecd (if possble) or from makecd gui itself to force finalization of the disc.

It won't be easy on the pc side to do, and may ruin further chances of finalizing or working with the disc if it goes wrong. It won't matter as we areonly testing and is not an essential disc.

How about make a session dvd instead of a full disc and fixate. Each session will be closed and ready for further session/s to be added later.
Old 21 March 2009, 20:37   #38
DC33
Zone Friend

I don't see the point in going through all the motions of trying to get a DVD to be read on a PC as the majority of software can be burnt on DVD using the PC anyways, with the added benefit of the amiga being able to read off a DVD rom.

The fact that burning a DVD with the amiga using MakeCD is possible and sufficient if it is for say, back-up purposes for the likes of DH0 which has the Workbench files. Anything else (DH1, DH2....) doesn't really matter as it is very likely that the files in these dirs have come from CDs/DVDs, so the need for backing up is nil.

In any case, I made both session & fixed with both results being the same - cannot be read on the PC. The amiga on the other hand has no problems seeing and copying dir content, so it serves the purpose I set out to do.
Old 21 March 2009, 20:55   #39
exoticaga

Yes i wasn't sure of the end goal you had whether for self knowledge or for the community. Where maybe someone else needs to know if they could do the same to transfer file to other os's.

It is good to know the original amiga can write to dvd who would of though that possible. There was only cds back when makecd was made, at least i only used it for cd burning.

I wonder if FryingPan (never heard of this amiga app) fares any better. For those that can get it to run, maybe its for WinUAE only...!
Old 21 March 2009, 23:19   #40
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Frying Pan is just another CD burner program. I tested it and it is less convoluted to use.