English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 March 2012, 16:15   #21
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
There are plenty of things the Amiga was good at and some it sucked at, spending tons of money on the area it sucked at just seems odd to me. I collect more then one platform so I can pick and chose what I do with them, if you are 100% Amiga only (who does that in this day and age) then maybe you might be crazy enough to spend that kind of money. There are collectors with deep pockets who just want the best of everything to be complete.

true i agree with you there,i would like to add that peaple are always trying to make there computers go faster,look better in the gfx,and have better sound,that will always be the case,and these peaple also spend a great deal of money on there systems no matter what computer it is.be it a pc mac or amiga,and in some cases consoles.
Old 15 March 2012, 13:46   #22
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
of course i could, but what would be the point when i've the real deal with an 060@50mhz.

doing it in emulation isn't as satisfying.
This is a really important argument in my eyes when it comes to real hardware versus emulation -- nothing beats using original hardware, seing it do its fantastic work, knowing that the chips inside are working hard and doing what they're good at. It's a very pleasing feeling, and to me the feeling gets less exciting if you were to upgrade to PPC, get PCI bus boards, 3D graphics cards etc.. It's just not the same old system design running in its original design harmony, get what I mean?

But this is just my opinion though!
Old 15 March 2012, 13:53   #23
diablothe2nd

8bit, if we had 'like' buttons on here you'd have gotten one instead i have to type it... grrr
Old 15 March 2012, 18:12   #24
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You should buy both

A1200 with Blizzard 1230 MkIV, 64mb Ram & 4gb CF-IDE for the perfect WHDLoad machine

A4000 with 040/060 (WarpEngine 040 or CSMkII/III + 128mb & RTG (PicassoIV or CV64/3D) Zorro NIC/LAN Card, 16Bit Sound Card such as Toccata and a Deneb USB - Great system

Unless you want a PPC for bragging rights stick with 040/060 and the same can be said for PCI solutions like Mediator/GREX, they are damn awesome but will break the bank and really don't do too much more than a decent 060 setup.

I can go on about OS4.1, etc but that will take us off topic

Whatever you decide, good luck with the project/s

Steve.
Old 15 March 2012, 19:26   #25
diablothe2nd

LOL fitz. you sold me your 64mb simm for my 060, why should i retire my lovely sixty for something less

i cat afford both. it's one or t'other
Old 15 March 2012, 20:10   #26
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
LOL fitz. you sold me your 64mb simm for my 060, why should i retire my lovely sixty for something less

i cat afford both. it's one or t'other
Ahh, I remember now

To rurther upgrade your A1200 you're somewhat limited by the wedge case but as you've seen there have been many awesome projects such as Phipscube's A1200 where miracles can happen!

The main limit you face is RTG, you can only get that in a Desktop A1200 with the expensive BVison PPC. The other option is a Tower Kit and Mediator Busboard, that makes for a nice project but the PCI board it's self is expensive.

I've found all my setups from A1200-A4000 all as stable once setup correctly, it all depends on where you want to go with them. The Blizzy1260 you have now is a great card and will lend it's self well to an A1200 Tower project should you go that route.

All the best,

Steve.
Old 15 March 2012, 21:44   #27
diablothe2nd

i must admit i've been very inspired by his 1200 wedge. I'm getting the indi 1200 when it comes out... isn't that RTG?

i'd love a bvppc. perhaps I could trade or flog mine for an equivalent someday.
Old 17 March 2012, 07:39   #28
Jope
-

Quote:
I'm getting the indi 1200 when it comes out... isn't that RTG?
No, the software running on the machine doesn't know it's there.

(naturally it can be found by sw, but only if the sw knows where to look)
Old 17 March 2012, 08:43   #29
NovaCoder

Quote:
i must admit i've been very inspired by his 1200 wedge. I'm getting the indi 1200 when it comes out... isn't that RTG?
Not really but it does allow you to run in HighGFX and (we hope) chunky modes for gaming which is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 March 2012 at 08:55.
Old 02 April 2012, 13:13   #30
fishyfish
Banned

While I personally wouldnt buy something like my old amiga setup again (a1200/bppc/grex/voodoo3/sb128/scsi pci card+ drive/etc) I must admit I do miss having rtg in my amiga.
I think some people underestimate just how much rtg adds for a lot of things. Im planning on getting an indi aga mk2, but its a different kettle of fish to an rtg card.

These days I like my amiga as it is, inside the original casing. Not to say I wont upgrade it as much as possible without butchering it, but in my opinion something like amithlon is the ultimate setup for a beast of an os3.x system, not amount of butchering/upgrading a real amiga will come close for "serious" stuff, while my a1200 scratches my itch for a machine that I can try to squeeze as much as possible out of in an amiga way.

To each his own and whatnot, but apart from the lack of an indivision and an '060 (40mhz apollo1240 so far with mach131 so will upgrade it shortly) Im perfectly content with my combination of amithlon and an a1200.
Old 02 April 2012, 13:23   #31
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
in my opinion something like amithlon is the ultimate setup for a beast of an os3.x system,

I've been looking into Amithlon, and I have a compatible mobo/cpu just lying around doing nothing (left over from a recent pc upgrade)

I'd love to be able to try it, but I can't seem to find it online. I realise this may have something to do with copyright etc but i'd appreciate a point in the right direction to find it
Old 02 April 2012, 14:06   #32
fishyfish
Banned

Torrents are probably the best way to acquire it these days, but being that it's technically piracy I dont think it would be proper to give links like:

http://.se/torrent/37538...ithlon_for_x86 or
http://www.torrentcrazy.com/torrent/...ga-xl-amithlon

Hypothetically, should you manage to acquire it from somewhere feel free to ask for help. A lot of people tend to have trouble at 1st, although once you get your head around it, it's actually pretty straight forward and simple.
Old 02 April 2012, 14:08   #33
diablothe2nd

if someone whom i know were to install it, would it be illegal if he already owned a genuine amiga and 3.9 os?
Old 02 April 2012, 14:35   #34
fishyfish
Banned

Probably, part of the license of OS3.9 and/or kickstart ROMs say that a person can only use them on one machine at a time.
Amithlon comes with its own OS3.9 and kickstart rom images and Im not even sure it's possible to replace them without quite some work (you can still insert/remove modules and so on though as though it were a physical ROM). Not that theyre any different to "normal" versions apart from the OS3.9 that comes with Amithlon has bb1 included "out of the box" and there being a few extras (sys:c/amithlonc and some apps for example). It boots straight into a minimal os3.9 setup from cd which you can then install to harddrive from (using hdtoolbox and an os installer) so theyre pretty much necessary.
Old 02 April 2012, 14:39   #35
diablothe2nd

i see.

would amikit work on this? i like amikit when emulating for its pretty goodness
Old 02 April 2012, 14:50   #36
fishyfish
Banned

It does, but just like running it on a real amiga it requires a few workarounds and changes for things like drivers and the few (win)uae things that Amikit contains.
Amithlon is more akin to a real amiga than winuae (everything is done from within amigaos with amithlon), so people who know thier way around a real amiga shouldnt have too many problems (Ive noticed a lot of Winuae users arent as well versed with the amiga and/or amiga os seeing as winuae deals with certain things that you have to do yourself on an amiga and amithlon).
Old 02 April 2012, 14:52   #37
diablothe2nd

ah brilliant, so if i basically follow the guide on how to install amikit on a real amiga then it should be all systems go?

now that would be cool.
Old 02 April 2012, 15:12   #38
fishyfish
Banned

Id hazzard a guess that for the most part following such a guide should be fine.
Might be one or 2 small differences given that amithlon is rtg/rta only, but I cant think of any reasons why there'd be any major differences.
There have been people who have run Amikit on amithlon so there might even be a guide targetting that.
Personally I like to set things up from scratch myself so have never used amikit with amithlon, but Id be willing to bet various limbs that it wouldnt be too difficult
Old 02 April 2012, 15:56   #39
diablothe2nd

couldn't get it to give me a boingball on my Athlon. guess it's not compatible.

Shall give Aros a whirl
Old 02 April 2012, 16:21   #40
fishyfish
Banned

How much RAM? Amithlon typically wont work with more than 1 gig installed. It also doesnt like sata devices.
Both of these are typical, but there are exceptions.
There's other things a person can try too. Honestly, probably 7 out of 10 machines that at 1st appear to not work can be coaxed into working without too much effort. Personally Ive used p3's, athlons, athlonxp's, athlon64's, and core2duos with amithlon. Never had a machine that I couldnt get working with it.

How far did it get? Did it show the initial Amithlon boot screen?

AROS is nice enough, but different kettle of fish. For me there's nothing quite like running 68k apps with the raw speed of my 3.86hz core2duo amithlon box Blink and you'll miss it rendering times, 300fps in 68k quake2, over 1000fps in duke3d, 720p video full speed/framerate with froggerng, and so on and so forth

Last edited by fishyfish; 02 April 2012 at 16:27.