Banned

PM received lopos2000
Old 07 April 2006, 14:56   #22
DamienD
Banned

Oops, something else I should have mentioned in my original post:

"Local Hard" Drive install vs "DVD-ROM" install:

Local Hard Drive:
... need roughly 1.1GB space free on whichever partition you copy all contents of the DVD to.
... emulated save RAM files and game save positions (freeze files) will be stored in whichever partition you select e.g for the E: partition it would be E:\SNES\SAVES.
... when scrolling through games the images will appear virtually instantaneously.

DVD-ROM:
... no need to copy anything from the DVD.
... emulated save RAM files and game save positions (freeze files) will be stored in C:\SNES\SAVES. The reason for this is that they cannot be saved back to the DVD.
... when scrolling through games the images will take a little bit to appear as they need to be loaded from the DVD-ROM.

I think that's about all the information you should need to know. If you have any questions though, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by DamienD; 07 April 2006 at 15:10.
Old 08 April 2006, 15:03   #23
Bloodwych

My DVD arrived in my eager palms this morning - how about that for service!

I've given this DVD a beast of a testing session and here is my feedback:

The DVD is very easy to get up and running straight out of its case; the front end works absolutely fabulous and overall it's a great package.

The game selection, with all screenshots provided, is a huge plus and extremely convenient, all being on one handy DVD. Room for expansion too as only 1137248MBs has been used so far. That means room for even more SNES roms, perhaps even add a megadrive collection?

Now for some general feedback and suggestions:

1. It would be nice if the DVD autorun and had the option of firing up the emu or installing to hard drive from the menu. I know not everyone likes autorun DVDs, however I think it would be a plus.
  2. I noticed one of my favourite games Super Aleste is missing! How did you hand select these ROMS? Or is it under a different jap/usa name? I haven't had time to check if any other big titles are missing. The collection that is provided is mighty impressive however, I'd just like it to be even more complete in later versions (since the DVD is only 25% full!)
  3. I'd like more control over the install paths, perhaps linked in with 1) during hard drive installation. Also like to choose where the SNES savestates go if running from DVD.
  4. Scanlines are great, however don't work well on LCD monitors which most people use these days. No hassle really, as I like the way you've left the menu showing by default so people can quickly change to what suits them best. Perhaps another menu option could cover this?
  5. I had problems copying the DVD to my hardrive - Kick Off and Super Chinese Fighter zips were unreadable???? Perhaps I was unlucky and got a bad burn. Can anyone else who received a copy confirm that all there games copy across ok?
  6. Is it necessary to select the hardrive letter to run from? Can't all the paths be given relative references rather than full paths so the SNES folder can be dragged/run from any hardrive location?

Anyway, a great start to your DVD project. I really think you should polish it up, add any missing SNES games, perhaps add other 16-bit consoles and give yourself a pat on the back.

Nice work and a great idea. Well Done!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 April 2006 at 08:43.
Old 08 April 2006, 16:05   #24
DamienD
Banned

Hello Bloodwych,

Wow, thank you for taking to time to test and give excellent feedback, much appreciated.

I'll try to address the things you have mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Room for expansion too as only 1.13MBs has been used so far. That means room for even more SNES roms, perhaps even add a megadrive collection?
Yes, as you say there is room for expansion. LusSpace can cover a wide variety of different consoles / systems and there is ample space left on the DVD.

Quote:
1. It would be nice if the DVD autorun and had the option of firing up the emu or installing to hard drive from the menu. I know not everyone likes autorun DVDs, however I think it would be a plus.
I was thinking about having an autorun process that would launch \SNES\SETUP.EXE. I was even going to go further and add in a check to see if SETUP.EXE had already been run and if so skip running it again... I decided against this in the end but it's an easy thing for me to implement.

Auto-kicking off the Front End through the menu... The reason why I didn't do this is that a shortcut gets placed on your desktop that starts everything. In all honesty, after running the SETUP.EXE program once you really don't need to touch it again. Not to say this cannot be added though, just not sure if it's worth doing for the reasons just mentioned. Finally, given how the DVD is currently set up, this wouldn't have worked if you wanted to copy everything to the HDD...

As for the installing everything to the hard drive through the menu, here's how I was thinking about getting this to work:

a) Have a packed .zip or .rar file loacted on the DVD and then extracting this to the partition selected. Only issue is that it wastes space having a .zip or .rar + everything already extracted on the DVD (of course everything needs to be already extracted on the DVD if you want to run it from there).

b) Just modify the batch file to copy all files / folders from the DVD to the partition selected. I believe is the best way to achieve this.

Quote:
2. I noticed one of my favourite games Super Aleste is missing! How did you hand select these ROMS? Or is it under a different jap/usa name? I haven't had time to check if any other big titles are missing. The collection that is provided is mighty impressive however, I'd just like it to be even more complete in later versions (since the DVD is only 25% full!)
I would say that Super Aleste is probably under a different Japanese / USA name, I would need to check to be certain though. I did use USA roms over EU ones as they were guaranteed to be English whereas some EU ones were in English or in French or in German (if you were lucky you would be given the option to select but this was not always the case). From memory, a good example of this is Super Metroid. Basically if you use the EU version, you have English + German text on the cutscenes, if you use the USA version you only see English text. I only selected Japanese roms if there was no EU or USA version available and the game looked cool...

Quote:
3. I'd like more control over the install paths, perhaps linked in with 1) during hard drive installation. Also like to choose where the SNES savestates go if running from DVD.
Hmmm, control over the install paths and savestates. This could be done, but may be difficult. I would need to think about how to achieve this through batch files. You would probably need to have the user enter in a string, then take that string and apply it as the path. The only problem is that I'm not entirely sure how I could then add this into my .reg files...

Quote:
4. Scanlines are great, however don't work well on LCD monitors which most people use these days. No hassle really, as I like the way you've left the menu showing by default so people can quickly change to what suits them best. Perhaps another menu option could cover this?
Did you find any other settings configured through the "best" option that weren't good? If it's only the scanlines lines option then I could modify the "Emulator" menu options to have:

... "Best" in Scanlines Mode.
... "Best" in TV Mode.
... "Default".

Quote:
5. I had problems copying the DVD to my hardrive - Kick Off and Super Chinese Fighter zips were unreadable???? Perhaps I was unlucky and got a bad burn. Can anyone else who received a copy confirm that all there games copy across ok?
Hmmm, it could be that the DVD is a bad burn or more likely that when I downloaded the .zip file, it somehow became corrupt. As you can imagine I didn't test all 1219 roms to make sure this was not the case. I'll check my original downloads...

Quote:
6. Is it necessary to select the hardrive letter to run from? Can't all the paths be given relative references rather than full paths so the SNES folder can be dragged/run from any hardrive location?
Most probably. I could try to use UNC paths in the batch / registry files e.g. .\SNES\ROMS

Quote:
Anyway, a great start to your DVD project. I really think you should polish it up, add any missing SNES games, perhaps add other 16-bit consoles and give yourself a pat on the back.

Nice work and a great idea. Well Done!
I will try to do the above mentioned things. Time is the only issue, working on a few other different projects at the moment... I spent loads of time doing this DVD and finished it about 6 months ago, hadn't really touched it since... I'll see what I can do and keep everybody posted.

Thanks again for your excellent feedback.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 April 2006 at 16:18.
Old 08 April 2006, 17:17   #25
DamienD
Banned

Hey Bloodwych,

I've just checked my original files and a DVD that I've burnt for myself. You must have been very unlucky as it looks like it's a bad DVD burn. Strange, I burnt at the slowest speed possible

I'm able to open / extract + copy the zip files of both Kick Off + Super Chinese Fighter. Were there any others that didn't copy across?

With Super Alesta, this is included in the DVD but it's the USA version called Space Megaforce

Also after thinking about it some more, I believe another major reason as to why I chose to use USA versions over EU versions is that in GoodSNES usually the USA ones have the [!] flag (verifying a good set) whereas the EU ones wouldn't

Last edited by DamienD; 08 April 2006 at 18:50.
Old 08 April 2006, 17:50   #26
Bloodwych

Even if you don't make anymore changes, it's still really cool. The small issues mentioned are minor and not worth correcting if it involves too much work. I always like to try and offer some constructive criticism - thanks for all your detailed responses.

I thought Super Aleste might be under a different name. As long as the game is there I'm happy! If we could make DVDs like this for every platform it would be awesome:

MAME, Magadrive, Amiga etc - a hand picked games DVD for every format. Perhaps I'll have a go at making some in the future; your DVD has offered inspiration.

Oh yes, the games. No it was only those two that were bad. Strange, DVD burning is usually fine.

EDIT: can you upload them to the zone and I'll download and replace them!
Old 08 April 2006, 18:23   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Even if you don't make anymore changes, it's still really cool. The small issues mentioned are minor and not worth correcting if it involves too much work. I always like to try and offer some constructive criticism - thanks for all your detailed responses.
...and you most definitely have although I would call it constructive feedback instead of criticism my friend

When I get some I will try and implement some stuff like the HHD copy and the TV Mode (did you think this was a cool idea?). There were no other options that you though would be good to change / add in the "best" emulation settings were there?

Quote:
If we could make DVDs like this for every platform it would be awesome:

MAME, Magadrive, Amiga etc - a hand picked games DVD for every format. Perhaps I'll have a go at making some in the future; your DVD has offered inspiration.
Yes, this would be absolutely awesome. I play around with MAME32 to set the best button configurations for use with my HotRodSE as sometimes they are not the way I like by default... Going through 6000 games isn't fun though... With WinUAE I've also added in / tested about 400+ configurations for games I love. Again this takes a long time

Quote:
Oh yes, the games. No it was only those two that were bad. Strange, DVD burning is usually fine.

EDIT: can you upload them to the zone and I'll download and replace them!
Yup, very strange indeed. Hmmm, I can upload them if you like but it's probably just as easy for you to download them from the same place I got them i.e. PlanetEmu

Best regards.
Old 08 April 2006, 18:35   #28
Bloodwych

PlanetEmu no longer has SNES titles; they removed them due to Nintendo making them commercially viable again once the revolution is released via downloadable content.

I only require Kick Off - if you could zone it I'd be most grateful, then I can re-burn a complete DVD.

The TV mode is a good idea and the best settings seem fine. It's very easy for the user to change them anyway.
Old 08 April 2006, 18:47   #29
Bloodwych

Sorry, I made a mistake. It's emuasylum that removed their snes titles. Got it now, thanks.
Old 08 April 2006, 18:52   #30
DamienD
Banned

I agree with you about it being very easy for the user to change setting in the emulator if desired. I might just add the TV Mode option anyway. Won't take long, hold off burning your DVD and I'll send you another SETUP.EXE with this included

No problem at all Bloodwych with PlanetEmu. I was just about to upload them to The Zone! for you... I also checked PlanetEmu (just to be certain) and could grab them successfully from here:

Kick Off (E) [!].zip
http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...wrom&id=400022

Super Chinese Fighter (J).zip
http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...wrom&id=403450

Old 08 April 2006, 18:53   #31
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
DamienD

I'd love a copy of this dvd i have a snes dvd already but it's not so organised as yours is looks great and this brings me nicely upto a suggestion which might save you a whole lot of dvd's and other costs etc! how about putting all the stuff you have in an .iso but leave out the roms that way just your work on the front end of the dvd so to speak would be in the .iso and the end user could add's their own roms etc.

I know this would bring a whole load of problems with roms sets etc But it would allow ppl to download a much smaller file (less than a cd) and save your burner

Finally if you require a logo or any graphics to make installers or any other project in the future i'll sure oblige!
Old 08 April 2006, 19:05   #32
Bloodwych

@ Sarek, yes you won't be disappointed. It is a very organised collection with great screen caps. Must have taken AGES to choose all the right files - having working [!] US versions before EU and JAP is another great feature.

Damien - I can tell you via Total Commander "test archive" feature that ALL your zip files are fine, so you don't have to worry about any bad downloads on your DVD.
Old 08 April 2006, 20:15   #33
DamienD
Banned

Hey Bloodwych,

All done

Attached is a new file called Modified.zip. It contains the following:

...emu-normal.reg
...emu-scanlines.reg
...emu-tvmode.reg
...SETUP.EXE

Here's what you need to do:

1) Copy emu-normal.reg, emu-scanlines.reg, and emu-tvmode.reg to .\SNES\REGISTRY

2) Delete the file emu-best.reg from .\SNES\REGISTRY

3) Replace SETUP.EXE located in .\SNES with the new one

This has all been tested and should work 100%. I've also attached a screenshot of the new "Emulator" menu. Please let me know how you go?

Best regards

PS. Other suggestions I will work on later sometime...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Emulator.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10736  

Last edited by DamienD; 10 July 2018 at 20:24.
Old 08 April 2006, 20:51   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
DamienD

I'd love a copy of this dvd i have a snes dvd already but it's not so organised as yours is looks great and this brings me nicely upto a suggestion which might save you a whole lot of dvd's and other costs etc! how about putting all the stuff you have in an .iso but leave out the roms that way just your work on the front end of the dvd so to speak would be in the .iso and the end user could add's their own roms etc.

I know this would bring a whole load of problems with roms sets etc But it would allow ppl to download a much smaller file (less than a cd) and save your burner

Finally if you require a logo or any graphics to make installers or any other project in the future i'll sure oblige!
Hello sarek2k,

Not a problem at all, I'll burn you a copy and post it off on Monday

About putting all the stuff I have into an .iso but leaving out the roms... This is a very good suggestion but I believe there are 2 issues here:

1) Would require the user copy all desired roms to .\SNES\ROMS, then to go through the Front End and do the following to get all the roms recognised:

... Select Options --> Only Screenshots, then from under the Scan tab, click the button Start Scanning.
... Once complete, select Options --> Only Screenshots to hide this menu again.

2) I believe that during a scan LusSpace will check through the Super NES.dat file (which contains known games) and enable + add the full path of the roms it finds e.g. D:\SNES\ROMS\2020 Super Baseball (U).zip. I manually removed the D: from the Super NES.dat file before burning.

I need to test adding in some roms that I don't currently have to make sure this is absolutely the case...

One thing though, I know it's easy for us guys to do all of the above / change options etc. but remember the whole reason as to why I created this DVD in the first place was to help out some friends of mine who are computer illiterate. They just wanted to enjoy SNES stuff but didn't know where to begin... I have to try to keep this in the back of my mind always, make sure it's relatively simple and not too confusing for users of any computer level. I think / hope that I've achieved this? Saying that, I am open to suggestions, appreciate all your great feedback and will definitely consider making changes

Finally thank you for your kind offer to assist, I'll definitely let you know if I require any help in the future. I too love graphic design and was going to create CD covers (front, back, and lables) but haven't had the time yet. You are most welcome to put something together if you like

Last edited by DamienD; 08 April 2006 at 21:13.
Old 08 April 2006, 21:18   #35
DamienD
Banned

Ooops, forgot to mention...

sarek2k, please PM me your address

MethodGit, I haven't uploaded the .ISO file to anywhere as yet... It's 1.07GB in size even when WinRAR'd. Since only about 6 people including yourself have shown interest, I don't think I'll bother... Maybe once 15 people ask for it then I will consider doing this. For the meantime though, just PM me your address and I'll post off a copy
Old 09 April 2006, 08:44   #36
Bloodwych

Thanks DamienD, I've updated and re-burned the DVD. All seems to be fine.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:21   #37
DamienD
Banned

Excellent Bloodwych.

Things left to look into when I find some time:

... DVD autorun.
... Copy files / folders to HDD through the menu.
... Removal of HDD letter selection via UNC paths.
... More control over the install / savestate paths via user input.
... Further investigation of having an .iso but leaving the roms out.

Old 09 April 2006, 23:39   #38
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
if you do go via the .iso option m8 i'll gladly make it into a torrent and tout it around a few torrent sites (assuming the "make torrent" option in uTorrent is easy to work )

not got round to starting the cd / dvd covers yet but have got templates for the cd disc and and jewel case! Anything in particular your looking for in the design also what do you want to call the dvd ie a name??? DD's SneS DVD etc lol
Old 10 April 2006, 11:08   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
if you do go via the .iso option m8 i'll gladly make it into a torrent and tout it around a few torrent sites (assuming the "make torrent" option in uTorrent is easy to work )

not got round to starting the cd / dvd covers yet but have got templates for the cd disc and and jewel case! Anything in particular your looking for in the design also what do you want to call the dvd ie a name??? DD's SneS DVD etc lol
Hey sarek2k,

Was pretty busy doing other things yesterday but did take a quick look at the SNES DVD. I should be able to complete the following tonight:

... DVD autorun.
... Copy files / folders to HDD through the menu.
... Having an .iso but leaving the roms out.

As for the other 2 remaining suggestions, here's my thoughts so far:

Removal of HDD letter selection via UNC paths:
Well this is sort of done as I'm now using UNC paths in the .reg files (for the emulator paths). Just need to test it a bit further... UNC paths were always used in my SETUP.EXE program and the FrontEnd.

With the removal of HDD letters though, for the moment I need to leave these in for the user to let me know where to copy the files / folders to

More control over the install / savestate paths via user input:
Still need to think about how to achieve this through batch files. As said above I would probably need to have the user enter in a string, then take that string and apply it as the path. The only problem is that I'm not entirely sure how I could do this, then add the string into my .reg files afterwards. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer

Thank again for your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards

Old 10 April 2006, 11:27   #40
Macca
Zone Friend

I'd like one too!

Are you still taking address PM's?

If you are still taking requests (and I do indeed get a copy) I'll upload it for the rest of the little monsters.

Is that okay?