English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 March 2003, 21:13   #21
Djay
95th User

hmm, i've always used PC2Amiga, rather than PC2Amires... but sometimes no text appears in the dos window?!?!?

on the Ami side, Mounting works, but when it tries to send a packet of info, back and forth.. i get the cannot send packet of info for long enough message, sometimes the PC disk icon appears in workbench... but when i try to access it doesn't work!!!

hmmm... i'm stuck.... could my cable be knackered (i haven't pulled it out hard or anything??? )

i would of thought that if the cable was knackered, nothing would happen... ARGHHHHH!!!!

Speed really isn't a issue... i can go a make a cup of tea and wait????
Old 03 March 2003, 09:28   #22
fiath

PC2Amiga DOES work in XP...

I use it on and off, but used to use it loads for C.A.P.S. stuff...

Basically, when you open PC2AMIGA.EXE you get a blank dos window, now open ANOTHER instance of PC2AMIGA.EXE and you will get the usual messages.

Now close the old window and proceed as normal.

The only problem with using XP with PC2Amiga is that it does not detect you are on a long-filename capable machine so all names are 8.3. I am guessing this is because it doesn't understand the XP DOS version (checks for >7 probably) and so this can probably be fixed - if you find out how, please let me know.

One other problem that happens on unexpanded A1200's (as far as I have seen) is that you get a ton of packet loss. I have heard that using PC2DEBUG.EXE fixes this, but I have not tried it. If you have this problem and this works for you, please let me know.

Thanks to IFW for the heads up.
Old 03 March 2003, 09:50   #23
§ane

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
The only problem with using XP with PC2Amiga is that it does not detect you are on a long-filename capable machine so all names are 8.3. I am guessing this is because it doesn't understand the XP DOS version (checks for >7 probably) and so this can probably be fixed - if you find out how, please let me know.
The fix for long file name issue that affects 2K/XP. You must add the following line to your virtual config.sys file (found here "%SystemRoot%\system32\CONFIG.NT"):

device %SystemRoot%\system32\setver.exe

And enter this next line at a CMD prompt (which only needs to be done once, I think):

setver.exe PC2AMIGA.EXE 7.10
Old 03 March 2003, 11:12   #24
fiath

Nice!
Thanks.
Old 08 March 2003, 02:19   #25
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Exclamation Small Adjustment

Quote:
Originally posted by §ane
The fix for long file name issue that affects 2K/XP. You must add the following line to your virtual config.sys file (found here "%SystemRoot%\system32\CONFIG.NT"):

device %SystemRoot%\system32\setver.exe

And enter this next line at a CMD prompt (which only needs to be done once, I think):

setver.exe PC2AMIGA.EXE 7.10
I've added a bit to your script code §ane which I think you've missed out. I think that the line you add to CONFIG.NT should actually read like this:

device=%SystemRoot%\system32\setver.exe
Old 08 March 2003, 02:27   #26
fiath

I think they must both work. I copy/pasted §ane's version and it worked like a charm for me.
Old 13 October 2004, 21:22   #27
Juv.U.K

ami pc linkup

hi
ok stupid question from a newbie time!!!
can someone please tell me in simple step by step instrutions how to get this thing to work? how do i add these commands? and where do i add them? ( can't find my "virtual config.sys anywhere)
I think a step by step tutorial would be a great "sticky"
anyone up for the challenge?
Regards Juv.U.K

Old 13 October 2004, 23:06   #28
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
Well i dunno bout that package BUT i do know that Pc2Am has the same problems .. XP blocks the Parallel transfer.

If anybody has a solution i'd be happy to hear it.
There are device drivers for XP that free up the Parallel and Serial Ports, try a google search for GiveIO. There are a few other programs that do the same thing but i can't remember what they are called. Maybe it will work with one of those programs.
Old 19 October 2004, 14:56   #29
Juv.U.K

the answer

Hi all,
ok i've got the answer!!!!
ditch the cable that comes with ami link
buy a serial cable (from maplins £12.99) then get amiga explorer, install on pc and amiga ,follow the on screen prompts and thats it! works perfectly! converting adfs no hassle at all! any questions please ask!
all the best juv.u.k

Old 20 October 2004, 08:19   #30
Jope
-

This was JUST discussed before.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3211

Like I said in the previous thread, try out userport - it might work to get the parallel port working under NT.
Old 24 October 2004, 19:45   #31
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

OMGosh .. IT WORKS .. XP and Parallel!!

Thanks fiath and §ane for the fix's.

(only downside is after running the pc side i get ntvdm hitting 100% constant and lagging me a little)