English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 May 2023, 12:29   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The screenshots are in the facebook thread, or you can take a look for yourself.
You have to join the Facebook group to see the thread.
Old 26 May 2023, 12:30   #22
Channel-Z

Drama Kween!
Old 26 May 2023, 12:30   #23
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Casually sexist and misogynistic? You’re a man right? Grow a pair.
As far as those guys, they are French, right? Certain traits I have noticed.
I just want my keycaps after three or is it four years since my Indigogo support. Maybe my grandchildren will enjoy them.
Ah, you got the impression I was offended by this? No, just wanted to point out the casual sexism/ misogyny, and the fact that the moderator broke the site posting rules.

My keycaps took 6 years from ordering to arrived. I pledged extra for a light grey/ dark grey combination, but had to select either black or white in the end.
Old 26 May 2023, 12:39   #24
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You have to join the Facebook group to see the thread.
Wayback machine isn't on facebook though:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160109...p://a1200.net/

Again, though, this isn't a thread about the relative merits of A1200.net products, it's just a question of whether they should be moderating discussions of this nature.

A.
Old 26 May 2023, 12:44   #25
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopDOS View Post
Drama Kween!
Thanks for your insightful contribution to this discussion...
Old 26 May 2023, 12:47   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Again, though, this isn't a thread about the relative merits of A1200.net products, it's just a question of whether they should be moderating discussions of this nature.
For that it would be helpful to be able to read the thread in question. I've now applied to join the group, but it is a bit of a hurdle to go through.
Old 26 May 2023, 12:53   #27
AndyC

Quote:
For that it would be helpful to be able to read the thread in question. I've now applied to join the group, but it is a bit of a hurdle to go through.
It's a fairly simple premise - should a moderator with a conflict of interest shut down discussion that paints their company/ or affiliated company in a bad light?

I was happy to accept Marcel and Phil's admission that they had to change the wording on the website, because they needed to be "schooled" on fire retardation in plastics. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they previously stated that the cases would never yellow, or that they weren't up front about correcting this.

At least one person on the thread posted pictures of their white case yellowing. It's a legitimate subject for discussion, which could affect many other people over time. That's all I was trying to say.

But I was branded a "Karen" (hilariously) and the thread was shut down...

A.
Old 26 May 2023, 13:11   #28
AndyC

For the avoidance of doubt, here are couple of relevant screen grabs from the thread.

You can see here that the OP agreed with me - even though his case, as it transpired, was not discoloured.

A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	79133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	79134  
Old 26 May 2023, 13:50   #29
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Who the heck is Karen?
Old 26 May 2023, 13:55   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Who the heck is Karen?
Quote:
Karen is a pejorative term used as slang for a woman perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is normal. The term is often portrayed in memes depicting white women who use their white privilege to demand their own way.
@AndyC Thank you Like I thought somebody should probably invest in a thicker skin. Insulting your customers isn't a great idea.
Old 26 May 2023, 14:32   #31
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Who the heck is Karen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)
Old 26 May 2023, 14:36   #32
AndyC

Quote:
@AndyC Thank you Like I thought somebody should probably invest in a thicker skin. Insulting your customers isn't a great idea.
Their PR leaves a great deal to be desired - their standard MO is to have a tantrum then rant about how toxic the Amiga scene is, completely oblivious to their own part in it. Phil especially, Marcel less so.

A.
Old 26 May 2023, 14:36   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
@TCD. I take it you are a moderator on here? What is this forums policy in this reported behaviour if it was being done on here?

Yes there are always 2 sides to every story.. But if forum members did something like this on here? Would they be punished? Or is there an inner circle mentality of I know that member so they get off?

Maybe it’s what goes on over at 1200.net
Insulting somebody on the board will result in a warning and in repeated cases in a temporary ban. Marcel seems to be an admin of that group, so that's a bit odd. Then again it's FB, so... yeah
Old 26 May 2023, 14:48   #34
AndyC

Rule 1 in their posting rules is as follows:

Quote:
Respect other opinions and be respectful to others! No Abusive, Racist, Sexist, Rude or Political posts. Be unique, don't just re-post repetitive articles.
I think it's reasonable to suggest that both Phil and Marcel (who is an admin) broke this rule. And that's the rub, Marcel got his hilarious "mic drop" comment in, then prevented further replies.

One rule for them...

A.
Old 26 May 2023, 17:20   #35
desiv

Too bad, but as a lot of people know, this isn't "an Amiga community thing."

This type of confusion happens all the time...

Personally, when I buy these type of products, as a consumer I don't expect these things to be perfect. Someone says something like "no yellowing." I assume that means under most conditions... It's not possible for these type of projects to test for all types of situations in the time they have...

Whether that is "unintentional misleading" (quirky phrase) or not, it's just not something that would surprise me as a retro enthusiast...

As for the company, again, that's nothing to do with the Amiga crowd. All of these type of projects have these type of situations, and I would hope the people selling them would realize that. As mentioned, it is a very small percentage that this affects... And a smaller percentage that comment about it publicly like this. So it's a bit silly to react badly to that small percentage. Might have been good to acknowledge it and PM the person (or ask them to PM you) to work on it with them off of the Facebook thread.

Would it have been nicer for the person to have reached out directly to them first rather than post on Facebook? Yeah. But that's a cultural/Facebook thing.

Going to Facebook first to air your issues isn't something I would do personally. But I don't spend a lot of time on Facebook. (Not saying that is good or bad, just not my style.)

But also, I wouldn't have locked any threads or deleted any posts as a result.

As for the "this is why we won't make any more Amiga products" comment...
I see that type of thing all the time in retro products... (and other smaller products)
Small business type of things are hard... Look at all the kickstarter messes... A lot of them are well intentioned, but this stuff is hard...
Hopefully they made money off of it, because that is part of why you charge for it. Because it's hard and these things happen. ;-)

Have to admit, I am also not a big fan of the "I was just posting this to see if you guys think it is OK for them to lock the thread/delete comments" mostly because that point could have been made without naming the product/people. You name names, you aren't doing it for a theoretical question, you are mad at them and want other people to know... And that can be fine, but it is what it is...

I hope both sides realize, "Hey, this stuff happens..."

But then again, who am I? No one should care what I think about this... ;-)
Old 26 May 2023, 17:33   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
As for the company, again, that's nothing to do with the Amiga crowd. All of these type of projects have these type of situations, and I would hope the people selling them would realize that. As mentioned, it is a very small percentage that this affects... And a smaller percentage that comment about it publicly like this. So it's a bit silly to react badly to that small percentage. Might have been good to acknowledge it and PM the person (or ask them to PM you) to work on it with them off of the Facebook thread.
Well said
Old 26 May 2023, 17:34   #37
Aulapatchuc

Quote:

I care about other's opinion. And BTW my A500 and A4000 have 35 and 29 years old and no yellowing. Luck, or good treatment of the goods?
Old 26 May 2023, 17:47   #38
rhester72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulapatchuc View Post
I care about other's opinion. And BTW my A500 and A4000 have 35 and 29 years old and no yellowing. Luck, or good treatment of the goods?
Truth? Luck. The fire resistant chemical additive quantity is the primary driver. 'Bad' plastics can yellow even in complete absence of UV light given enough time.
Old 26 May 2023, 17:49   #39
AndyC

Quote:
Have to admit, I am also not a big fan of the "I was just posting this to see if you guys think it is OK for them to lock the thread/delete comments" mostly because that point could have been made without naming the product/people. You name names, you aren't doing it for a theoretical question, you are mad at them and want other people to know... And that can be fine, but it is what it is...
That's a fair point - I could have done that in hindsight...
Old 26 May 2023, 17:57   #40
Aulapatchuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
Truth? Luck. The fire resistant chemical additive quantity is the primary driver. 'Bad' plastics can yellow even in complete absence of UV light given enough time.

Thanks. Good to know.

@AndyC, I like your new avatar