English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 February 2009, 00:46   #21
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
That it is rubbish?

That it uses a software OpenGL renderer?

That it is likely to run an 1-2 fps?
All true, but at least it keeps him in his bedroom and not out on the streets killing.
Old 07 February 2009, 01:47   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
All true, but at least it keeps him in his bedroom and not out on the streets killing.
Not entirely sure that was his intention...
Old 07 February 2009, 03:16   #23
Predabot

Wait wait... I don't know anything about the Atari ST. What I have heard tho, is that it was less powerful than the Amiga 500... So... how is a console that is several generations less advanced than the Playstation going to be able to run this game??

Isn't that against the laws of nature or something? The amount of transistors in the cpu is simply too low to make the kind of advanced computations necessary, surely??
Old 07 February 2009, 08:08   #24
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Wait wait... I don't know anything about the Atari ST. What I have heard tho, is that it was less powerful than the Amiga 500...
Not exactly true. The original ST has a higher clock rate 68000 (8 MHz) STe has a 16 MHz 68000, but they lack the chipset features of the Amiga.

The RE port in question I believe is aimed for TT030 and Falcon machines which sport 030 which should be good enough to run this port.

There's also a 060 upgrade available for Atari Falcons.
Old 07 February 2009, 18:47   #25
Keops/Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Some French guy is porting the RE engine to Atari ST.

Anybody thinking what I'm thinking ?
No, he is not. His work runs on 68020 + fpu, that's called a Falcon, which is totally different from an Atari ST.

Also TT btw but his former target is Falcon.

Last edited by Keops/Equinox; 07 February 2009 at 18:57.
Old 07 February 2009, 19:02   #26
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Not entirely sure that was his intention...
I am implying he's a bit of a nutcase.
Old 07 February 2009, 19:07   #27
coze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keops/Equinox View Post
No, he is not. His work runs on 68020 + fpu, that's called a Falcon, which is totally different from an Atari ST.
for us Amigans all falcon, bald eagle and tweety etc == Atari ST.

With Atari ST I meant the Atari ST line which Falcon is a member of. I didn't mean the original Atari ST.
Old 07 February 2009, 21:17   #28
Keops/Equinox

Quote:

With Atari ST I meant the Atari ST line which Falcon is a member of. I didn't mean the original Atari ST.
An Atari ST is as close to a Falcon030 with FPU as an Amiga 500 is to an Amiga 68030/16 with a DSP. And still, the gap ST-Falcon is still much bigger than the one between the 2 Amiga machines in that analogy

Quote:
Not exactly true. The original ST has a higher clock rate 68000 (8 MHz) STe has a 16 MHz 68000, but they lack the chipset features of the Amiga
Not exactly true either. STE has a 8 MHz 68000, not 16 MHz.
Old 07 February 2009, 21:28   #29
coze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keops/Equinox View Post
An Atari ST is as close to a Falcon030 with FPU as an Amiga 500 is to an Amiga 68030/16 with a DSP.
Sorry but an Amiga 68030/16 with a DSP is still an Amiga. End of discussion.

By your logic Amiga 1200/4000 are not Amigas because they have totally different chipset/bus/specs than the original OCS/ECS line. It just doesn't make sense.

Falcon does not deviate so much away from the ST line. They still have software compatibility for starters (to some degree). It's still an ST.

Sorry about the 16 MHz STe. I was thinking about the MegaSTe probably.
Old 07 February 2009, 21:37   #30
Keops/Equinox

Quote:
Sorry but an Amiga 68030/16 with a DSP is still an Amiga. End of discussion
I never claimed otherwise. I'm merely giving you information you seem to ignore about various Atari Motorola machines, no need to get upset

A Falcon is definitely not an ST, not a subset of some ST category, sorry

Quote:
By your logic Amiga 1200/4000 are not Amigas because they have totally different chipset/bus/specs than the original OCS/ECS line
I never wrote that, you did. All those machines are indeed Amiga machines.

The Atari ones we are talking about are not all ST machines on the other hand. However you just proved me right with your 1200/4000 line and your OCS/ECS line : there was the ST/STE line and the Falcon line. They were all Amigas but the Atari ones were not all ST's

You seem to think there was an "ST line" like the "Amiga line" in which you can include every possible ST/STE/FALCON/TT machine, which is wrong, sorry

Last edited by Keops/Equinox; 07 February 2009 at 22:25.
Old 07 February 2009, 21:45   #31
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Sorry but an Amiga 68030/16 with a DSP is still an Amiga. End of discussion.

By your logic Amiga 1200/4000 are not Amigas because they have totally different chipset/bus/specs than the original OCS/ECS line. It just doesn't make sense.

Falcon does not deviate so much away from the ST line. They still have software compatibility for starters (to some degree). It's still an ST.

Sorry about the 16 MHz STe. I was thinking about the MegaSTe probably.

Yes indeed, Mega STE with double bus and 68882 FPU.

And i agree with you. If you run Linux on Amiga, you don't call it PC, it's an Amiga by all means.

The same applies here.
Old 07 February 2009, 21:46   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Not exactly true. The original ST has a higher clock rate 68000 (8 MHz) STe has a 16 MHz 68000, but they lack the chipset features of the Amiga.

The RE port in question I believe is aimed for TT030 and Falcon machines which sport 030 which should be good enough to run this port.

There's also a 060 upgrade available for Atari Falcons.
The higher clock rate of the ST gives no tangible benefits unless its a vector game, and both ST and Amiga both only use CPU.

Seeing as the Amiga had the blitter that could do it quicker than the CPU, and certainly quicker than the ST CPU, any 'advantage' the ST had in higher clock speed is made redundant.
Old 07 February 2009, 23:13   #33
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Please don't speak for "all of us Amigans", for me an ST is an ST and a Falcon is a Falcon!

Quote:
Falcon a member of the ST line?
Old 08 February 2009, 00:03   #34
Predabot

Wow... I seem to have sparked a debate, methinks! 0_0

But this particular model he's aiming for, is then as powerful as a PS1? I'm reading on Wiki ( never been a fan of PS, so this is the first time I'm really checking the specs)here, and the CPU seems to run at 33mhz, isn't that twice as fast as the Atari mentioned? And the GPU handles 24-bit colour, with a gamut of 16.7 million.

I do wonder... what would it mean if he's able to port the game PERFECTLY, no adjustments to the visible or audible quality of graphics and sound? Would he be a genius then? Or would it mean that the first RE game didn't really use all the power of the PS?
Old 08 February 2009, 06:50   #35
coze

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Falcon a member of the ST line?
come on ... me thinks some falcon fans are too shamed of their fave machines ST roots you know what ST stands for right ? 16/32 ? What's falcon bus width ? ring some bells ? what about software compatibility ?
Old 08 February 2009, 07:48   #36
NovaCoder

I think it's quite impressive and this kind of engine could work well on an Amiga (pre-rendered backgrounds, 3d models for characters).
Old 08 February 2009, 09:00   #37
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I think it's quite impressive and this kind of engine could work well on an Amiga (pre-rendered backgrounds, 3d models for characters).
I think that´s what Zetr0 had in mind some time ago...
Would be awesome indeed!
Old 08 February 2009, 14:41   #38
Keops/Equinox

Quote:
come on ... me thinks some falcon fans are too shamed of their fave machines ST roots
For your information I'm an Amiga AND Atari user since 1989, I still have my first good old A500, so you can skip the bigotry card with me

I was merely trying to correct those mistakes in your post, admitting yourself that all these things are the same to you "because you are an amigan".

The earth won't stop rotating if you call a Falcon an ST, I'm not worried about that but just know it's totally wrong and you're probably the only guy I've seen in 17 years calling a Falcon an ST, hence my post. But really, it doesn't matter

And yes, Stingray and I are part of both Atari and Amiga scene and are both aware of the origin of the "ST" letters, yet noboby ever called a Falcon an ST. Again, ST was the name of a specific machine, not a line including Falcon and TT.
Sorry, it's just like that, I wish I could change 17 years of history and naming convention for you but I can't

Now let's hug and stop wasting time on that matter and let's wish good luck to the guy rendering RE assets on his Falcon and TT, it's a totally pointless yet interesting project, like all those pointless demos we make and like.

Last edited by Keops/Equinox; 08 February 2009 at 15:10.