English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2001, 23:40   #21
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

@APFelon...nice outfit..
Yeah, FMV what shit that was. I always hated it. I never liked that stupid Space Ace or Dragons Lair shit as well.

And Hugo is pretty weak as far as magic engine emulation goes. The Macintosh version is vasty superior (Apple software usually is) and i use it to emulate games on my iBook on the tain to\from work. Nothing is as cool as me playing Neutopia on the train
Old 03 August 2001, 05:22   #22
Amiga1992

You have one of those toilette lids Fred? Hahahaha

BTW, MAgic Engine's DOS version is THE BEST one IMO, and its not produced anymore. So I guess it's OK for you to have a regged one. I know I have one somewhere.
Old 03 August 2001, 06:41   #23
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Jey Akira, I totally agree....DOS was best. I found one in a cd I burned...Actually I am not sure it is the DOS version, because as far as I see, you can't use command line. DOS, I admit, is much more stable than Windoze.
I posted it on the ADF zone. You never told me Akira, did you ever like the PC Engine?

Here is the best console emu site i know, since they have an archive of almost every emu ever!!!

http://www.emuviews.com/cgi-local/ro...ARCH=&FORMAT=T

Thats the roms for TG-16
You should easily find the emu archives from there
Old 03 August 2001, 10:50   #24
morph72

Exclamation JoseQ's EmuViews

Hm. Sorry to burst your bubble fred, but JoseQ retired a while ago, and his rom downloads are down for good - you can still have a look at the game ratings, screenshots 'n stuff, but that's it. As far as I could see his Emulator section isn't updated anymore either, though there are plenty of old emus available. You can read more about it here:
http://www.emuviews.com/cgi-local/sh...231&LANG=en_US

Old 03 August 2001, 18:59   #25
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

morph 72
Thanks much for correcting me. I am saddened Jose has gone. I wonder if there ever will be so comprehensive a collection of archived emus.
Vintagegaming.com has degenerated miserably from its heydey as Daves Video Game Classics.
But EdgeEmulation and PE 2000 and Aceroms are the 3 best roms places online. yes, PE2000 is more than just an Amiga joint!
Old 09 August 2001, 05:12   #26
§ane

Next big thing in amiga emulation...

NetPlay WinUAE! :gamer
http://www.agnus.org.uk/WinUAE-Kaillera/

well.. so i thought.. :kill
Old 09 August 2001, 18:12   #27
sborat

My parents bought a Vic 20 back in 1983 for me and my bro to start using computers.

I can remember playing Amok, Space Invaders cartridge and a nice multicolor Llamasoft game (Jeff Minter ruled) where a llama had to kill spiders which were dropping down the ceilings by spitting all around.

Old 09 August 2001, 19:40   #28
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

My memories in the early 80's was the Intellevision..really god for sports!!
I think, honestly, that there must be a breakthru in 3DO emulation..it must happen. As for the new generation of consoles? Not a chance. Not in 2 or 3 years.
Old 15 August 2001, 20:56   #29
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Model 1 Arcade Board

The next big thing will be a decent working Model One and a Two arcade boards produced by Sega. Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop and sequels. All great games!

Although I still regard MAME as the King of emulators. Computer and console emulators are good but you can't play arcade perfect games on those! Compare Bombjack and any of the computer versions - you just can't compare! MAME will just get better and better and will probably include 3D games in a few years too!

If you havn't guessed it already, arcade emulation is my favourite!

:laugh
Old 15 August 2001, 21:41   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Yeah, good point. I cannot wait until those incredible sit down 6 man racing games are emulated..right now, thats not possible. Look at the Saturn, which has many of the same components as the circuit boards of the Virtual era of games..it is still difficult to emulate.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 15 August 2001 at 21:57.
Old 15 August 2001, 23:49   #31
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs up

Definitely! Daytona is fantastic - netplay with that and others would be fantastic! I think they will get there though. The Playstation and Saturn have both been emulated to some degree so lets hope these games will be too!
Old 16 August 2001, 00:07   #32
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by fredtgreat
Yeah [...] I cannot wait until those incredible sit down 6 man racing games are emulated [...snip!]
Like, the feel will be shite. How can you emulate 6-player mayhem in a computer? As I always say, nothing beats the real thing

Even if Saturn is not emulated well, Daytona for Saturn sucks. A lot. Only decent home version is Daytona 2001 for the Dreamcast.

Sega Rally is great, though. One of the best racers ever, and the best for the Saturn IMO.
Old 16 August 2001, 00:07   #33
Ian
Global Moderator

No offence to anyone

But the reason those Saturn emulators are crap is because so are their programmers. The Playstation is way more powerful than the Saturn (With out question), but because there is reason enough for great programmers to program an emulator (ie Loads of software), there has been great emu's released (ePSXe and others).

Sega Model 1/2 arcade emulation will be cool, but thankfully it's not linked to any of those shit Saturn emulators and I'm not actually sure that they share any hardware with the saturn at all, as far as I remember it the Saturn is the same as Sega S-TV arcade board NOT the Sega model 1 board. Thats probably why Virtua Fighter on the Saturn ran so god damn slow IMO, nowhere near arcade perfect and don't even mention Daytona USA.

Also I hope you know that there are two Sega Model 1 emu's in the works, SMOG and Modeler
Old 16 August 2001, 00:13   #34
Amiga1992

Re: No offence to anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by IanCharge
But the reason those Saturn emulators are crap is because so are their programmers. The Playstation is way more powerful than the Saturn (With out question), but because there is reason enough for great programmers to program an emulator (ie Loads of software), there has been great emu's released (ePSXe and others).

Sega Model 1/2 arcade emulation will be cool, but thankfully it's not linked to any of those shit Saturn emulators and I'm not actually sure that they share any hardware with the saturn at all, as far as I remember it the Saturn is the same as Sega S-TV arcade board NOT the Sega model 1 board. Thats probably why Virtua Fighter on the Saturn ran so god damn slow IMO, nowhere near arcade perfect.
Izit coz I iz Mizinformed?

The Playstation is NOT MORE POWERFUL than a Saturn. The Playstation is more powerful at 3D than the Saturn. The Saturn is more powerful at 2D than the PSX. COnsole wars are always pointless, just don't bash the Sattie because it is a great machine. If you own one, and the right games, you'd know Of course, it is not emulated as well for lack of info. This is mainly because Sega didn't release info for it as easy as Sony did with its PSX. Nintendo is teh one who release the most info, taht's why their systems get emulated first. And it is not because of lack of software. You gotta start looking eastwards for Saturn games. JApan got'em all ,we westerners only got a measle ammount of stuff, most of which were crap american sports games. Blech.

And you are right, MOdel 1/2 hardware has nothing to do with a Saturn. VF1 is a disgrace, have you seen VF2? I don't know wtf they did on VF1, but they did it all wrong :laugh VF2 is excellently ported.
Old 16 August 2001, 00:28   #35
Ian
Global Moderator

I did actually

Have a Saturn for a week before I bought my orignal PSX, I had all the supposed killer titles with it, VF, VF remix, Daytona, Virtua Cop 1 & 2 and VF 2 (Man I love Blockbuster) and I think you've hit the nail right on the head, Sega's plan for the Saturn was all wrong, they were trying to out 3D the PSX, which you just said it couldn't do.

As for 2D games, well I seem to remember Rayman playing and looking the same for both systems, so any performance advantage for the Saturn certainly wasn't noticed by me (I'm not saying it wasn't better at 2D though)

So in closing I do speak from experince in regards to the Saturn, it just wasn't for me (And I respect your opinion even though it's different from mine)

BTW I don't recall any Sony info being released (Other than the normal stuff, processor, memory and that sort of thing), infact wasn't there a lawsuit with Connectix about them reverse engineering a PSX, if the info was released why would they have to reverse engineer the thing. I stand by my original statement of poor programmers being the cause of the rubbish emu's, not any lack of info.
Old 16 August 2001, 00:41   #36
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Now now lads, no need to argue! To go back to a previous point I my mention of Daytona was about an emulated arcade version, not the crap Saturn version! Though you are right about Daytona 2001, has to be one of the best racers!

Have looked at SMOG on the WEB, but that was some time ago - any new developments? Shouldn't be so lazy really, I should check for myself!

Akira is also right about the 2D thing! There is a very slight difference in performance between the PSX and the Saturn. Street Fighter Alpha was just a tad better on the Saturn, the better pads helped too. Trying to play Street Fighter Alpha was a shite with the PSX pads. Namco joysticks remedied that but what about the loading waits - you could go on holiday to the moon before the next level started!
Old 16 August 2001, 00:57   #37
Ian
Global Moderator

Arguing ...

We aren't arguing, we used to do it all the time I think the technical term is a "Mines better than yours" discussion not an argument

The SMOG site hasn't been updated for eons, but apparently he/she is still working on it, Modeler looks far more promising at this stage IMO.
Old 16 August 2001, 01:02   #38
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thanx for the info! I would just like to add that mine is better than yours!:laugh
Old 16 August 2001, 01:20   #39
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Maybe so, but mine is bigger.

(What the hell, this IS an off-topic forum).
Old 16 August 2001, 01:24   #40
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Ah, but mine works better than yours!