English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 September 2006, 13:47   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

and yet we see again that in the ethos of "cost verses performance" we the end user will lose out and have to take a lesser service.

Old 04 September 2006, 15:21   #22
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Well, the current x86 processors are not that bad. If AmigaOS would be available to this platform we would more than enough devices. But I think there were not enough developers for all those chipsets and bridges or there were not all docs available to write drivers. And of course there is no licence...endless story...and we are going off topic. Can someone reavtivate ESCOM or C= please?
Old 06 September 2006, 17:41   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase
Well, the current x86 processors are not that bad. If AmigaOS would be available to this platform we would more than enough devices....
If only OS3.1 was open source.... to think of it now developed for x86 purely would be heaven..

ah...... such is my deam... come the revolution my fellow amigans..... come the revolution....
Old 07 September 2006, 00:42   #24
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
I say "Amiga" in quotes, because this PPC balloney has nothing to do with a real Amiga.
Are the new x86 based Macs not real Macs? Or did they become 'unreal' when they went for PPC instead of 68k?

Or is it just that you never could buy an Amiga with a PPC-processor mounted directly on the moutherboard that makes you have this opinon?

If so, does 3rd party accessories don't count as 'real'? Does Konami's wireless controler for the SNES not qualify for something 'real' in relation to the Super Nintendo, then?

I honestly don't get your point...

What DOES qualify as 'real' Amiga to you... and, more specifically, WHY?
Old 07 September 2006, 09:06   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@legerdemain,

if i may respond my friend, for me atleast it seemed that it was a little to late when the PPC's became avaialbe for the amiga.

I hear what you are saying about what is REAL or not but when the PPC's hit the market there was a lot of crap going on with CBM/Escom/Gateway and essentially all we had were the support of third party vendors (not going to mention vapourware or pre-order hardware) as no one knew if Amiga was going to change hands within the next couple of days again. this is compounded by the fact that each of the companies that amiga exchanged hands with kept touting the PPC route as if to lead the consumer and avid enthusiast along the golden path... (thier golden path to thier pockets!)

for me the PPC ballony refers to the absolute debacle that Amiga went through and the realistic little use a PPC on an amiga actualy is... after all if i want to run *nix on an amiga there are many 68k versions.

I kinda left the Amiga scene in about 97 so for me the PPC does not FEEL like a real amiga as simple it was out too late with very little if hardly any support infact not including modified OS, compiler there was only a couple of games.

Today however there is more support for the PPC chip, but even with more support to make the use of it a graphics card is realisticaly required. so with this all the legacy stuff that an amiga can do without a PPC is to me MORE real compaired to the little extra it can do when a ppc is bolted to it.

Its just MHO, and its some what jaded lol (if you couldn`t tell)