English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 16 May 2007, 18:49   #21
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Can I ask what you're planning to do with the unpacked disk image?
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsfan
Well, actually not much, I just wanted to see for my own curiosity what all is inside it. I tried using wrip but didn't seem to get any files out of it... I'm gonna try something else too, that decompresses disk.1 files.
As I said in the last post, if you d/l & unpack the archive from the provided link then you'll find a decompressed ADF of One on One called "disk.1" (901220 in size).

If you write the ADF back to disk or rad: (using tools like ADFBlitzer, Tequilla, TransADF etc. from Aminet), you'll find that the disk is empty IIRC. That's part and parcel of the custom disk format (and perhaps the HLS copy protection also) that EA used. If it's a true DOS disk and the files are merely hidden from the eyes of mere mortals, then a talented cracker could write a disk ripper to rip the hidden files to DOS (which is what has been done in a minority of WHDLoad game patches as files use less memory than disk images).

I'm guessing that if it was possible and a reasonably simple exercise with One on One, then the WHDLoad patcher (Jeff Fabre aka JOTD) would have coded the patch to rip the disk as files rather than as a disk image. For us mere mortals, we can try looking underneath the hood using tools like Wrip. If you're interested in tinkering further, then you can always try other basic ripping tools like Track2File and RiPIT. Somehow I don't think they'll find anything of note with these tools and that a disk monitor like HRTMon might be a better way to go (provided you have the knowledge and know what to look for). Happy tinkering!

Last edited by DrBong; 16 May 2007 at 18:57.
Old 07 December 2009, 23:44   #22
aristarkos

Could not load system ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This game works fine in WinUAE using the "Archon & One on One & Archon II (19xx)(PHR-Crew).zip" image.

In Quickstart, set your Model to A500. Set your configuration to 1.2 ROM, OCS Agnus, 512KB Chip RAM + 512KB Slow RAM
This worked perfectly for me when I had Amiga Forever 2008. Now I have Amiga Forever 2009 and I have a problem. I get the following message: "Could not load system ROM, trying system ROM replacement" ... I click "Okay" and then the screen stays black. Any ideas?

Old 07 December 2009, 23:46   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks like Amiga Forever 2009 has no Kickstart v1.2 rom. But it should run with KS 1.3 too, iirc.
Old 08 December 2009, 06:46   #24
aristarkos

Turns out NONE of my programs will start using Quickstart. It doesn't matter what configuration I try, I get the same message: "Could not load system ROM, trying system ROM replacement"

Old 08 December 2009, 07:04   #25
aristarkos

I stumbled upon "Paths" and selected "Rescan ROMs". That did the trick. Now Quickstart is working for me like it did before.