English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 May 2013, 01:10   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
Could be but it always failed to read specific ADFs/Games. I don't think I ever had a situation when it wouldn't read the game/disk it already did. It was always a specific games.
Okay, I won't argue with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
I also made sure both floppy drives upon getting both Amigas were clean of dirt (used small dosages of compressed air to wipe out all the dirt.
That method is fine for removing dust, but dirt stuck fast to the recording heads is really difficult to shift unless you use a solvent like isopropyl alcohol applied with a cotton bud or floppy drive cleaning disk, though I'm not saying that would necessarily help in this case.

A floppy drive cleaning disk would be an especially useful addition to your toolkit if you don't already have one.
Old 30 May 2013, 01:43   #22
Kenan

^^Come to think of it, yeah, it would. I might actually order one. How long does it last ie. how many times I can clean a drive with it? Can I apply some shampoo on it?
Old 30 May 2013, 08:24   #23
Sandro
Banned

Aladdin floppy doesn't work on my A1200 either
it crash after the prodigy cracktro ( and it's not a floppy drive issue)
(it's a mystery not yet solved)
but whdload version works fine
Old 30 May 2013, 11:45   #24
Kenan

^^Since I changed the floppy drive (took one from A600) now that same Aladdin (AGA) disk works on my A1200.
Old 30 May 2013, 12:00   #25
demolition
Unregistered User

Sounds like your old floppy drive might not be providing the RDY signal like it is supposed to. It will give those kinds of errors.

Since the eject button does not have the right size, it could be an indication that it is indeed a PC drive.

What is the brand and model of the drive?
Old 30 May 2013, 13:59   #26
Kenan

Can't really tell as it's missing its top cover. Judging by the eject button and looking at some pictures on Google, the floppy -might- be from A500? The button seems smaller then the one for A600 and A1200? I very much doubt PC floppies have the same beige button (unless it was added post-modding).

The button looks like this one:
http://www.amiga-games.com/img/AMIGA...0_02_large.jpg
Old 30 May 2013, 14:40   #27
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

What's the (technical) difference between A500 and A1200 (A600) drives anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
A floppy drive cleaning disk would be an especially useful addition to your toolkit if you don't already have one.
I have had one of these for quite a while, but never figured out how to use it properly. Can someone please explain how
Old 30 May 2013, 14:56   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
What's the (technical) difference between A500 and A1200 (A600) drives anyway

I have had one of these for quite a while, but never figured out how to use it properly. Can someone please explain how
There's no technical difference between an A500 and A600 drive AFAIK. I used an A500 drive on my (opened) A600 temporarily and discovered no issues.

I have a floppy drive cleaner as well, and I think you're just supposed to put it in the drive while the machine is on and the drive clicking. When it discovers a disk has been inserted, the heads will move a little trying to read the disk, thus rubbing against the cloth on the cleaner disk.
Old 30 May 2013, 16:05   #29
roy bates

i highly suggest a floppy cleaning disk with fluid,a must for drives of this age.

and cd rom cleaning disks the ones with brushes are worth having.

and use them frequently.

its aslo worth checking the switches in the front of the drive as this can make the drive not read a disk properly,and if your up to it maintance wise oil and grease the moving parts and clean it of dust.
Old 08 June 2013, 23:00   #30
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
There's no technical difference between an A500 and A600 drive AFAIK. I used an A500 drive on my (opened) A600 temporarily and discovered no issues.

I have a floppy drive cleaner as well, and I think you're just supposed to put it in the drive while the machine is on and the drive clicking. When it discovers a disk has been inserted, the heads will move a little trying to read the disk, thus rubbing against the cloth on the cleaner disk.
There perhaps may be a better way of utilizing the cleaning disk. I put it in one of my floppy drives and simply used XCopy's CHCKDSK option to read it. It's slow but my guess is, it definetelly cleans the head in a more proper way then by just simply inserting it into the drive for that one click / readout.