DH
Global Moderator

Try this one.

Old 03 March 2009, 23:45   #22
Sensi
Unregistered User

Not great enough, DH Try another one

Great as usual

I nominate you For the idea, for the avatars.

And what about another Hall of Heroes but EAB OTS ? Just for the fags there. I hate them by the way, kiss kiss.
Old 03 March 2009, 23:54   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So now it should be a Hall of Fame, but named Hall of Hero's? Don't know if I agree with Zetr0 here that we need that. The original idea as a simple remembering thread was okay, but this is something completely different and I don't know if it will work.
Old 04 March 2009, 00:04   #24
DH
Global Moderator

What am I doing, I wish I never started this thread now.

It's going to be an impossible task, when so many have different ideas of what it should be.

R.I.P. was the idea from the start and I agree with TCD with it being a remembrance thread. It's simple and easy to do, incorporate too much and it becomes something totally different and none meaningful for it's original purpose.

No wonder the Mods never started one, they already knew what it entailed. If this is not such a good idea Mods, close the thread and be done with it.
Old 04 March 2009, 00:08   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@DH

I think it looks ACE m8.... class!!!
Old 04 March 2009, 00:08   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Still like the idea of a reminiscential thread DH Maybe a simple blue boing ball with something black added would do and then let the mods decide if it's a good idea mate
Old 04 March 2009, 00:11   #27
Sensi
Unregistered User

No, do not close it, its not ghey enough :-)
It needs more discussion, not closing it.

I like the idea and the logo. Dont throw it away, at least we could use it in OTS.

I am tired, and the spiders. Did I tell you about the spiders?

Kiss kiss, good night.
Old 04 March 2009, 00:23   #28
DH
Global Moderator

Well, whatever happens and whatever simple logo, without any words whatsoever now, is done, it's up to the mods. Who really cares of the design, it's remembering our departed, and that's what this proposal thread's all about.

Let the Mods have there meeting and vote on the idea, with or without a logo, and return with their answer.
Old 04 March 2009, 11:07   #29
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I think the idea is sound as with most things how we go about doing it is the problem

why just the 1 thread ?

we could have a hall of heroes with what they have contributed to the community and another simpler 1 when they departed from this realm
Old 04 March 2009, 11:20   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

I don't think a thread is enough. I think if this is to be done it should be properly and should have own page

HOH.abime.net Where is RCK and the other mods!
Old 04 March 2009, 11:47   #31
DH
Global Moderator

I totally agree bippy

It needs to be done properly and organised by the mods only. I understand the difficulties there are or will be, but as I and others have said, it's all about remembering someone, in a kind and thoughtful way.

I got to admit, I'm surprised you're the only mod, that kind of likes the idea or has bothered to look into it. Maybe a push from you, in the right direction, may achieve something more positive

Cheers bippy
Old 04 March 2009, 13:06   #32
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
personally, and i mean not to offend anybody, i find it a odd and a bit morbid.

do this board need an obituary? i tend not to care about these sort of things being without faith myself, thinking about the live side of life.

that's maybe not a general reasoning enough, so, that aside, let see...

1) is EAB so central in my life that my passing (way after all yours, mind you, so that the debate gets pointless ) should be mentioned here? ehm... no? if i would be dead as a rat, why should i care that you guys know? that would be pretty low on my agenda, i guess.

2) who would even let you know?

3) why should you care? friendly as we may be, there's enough real people in each one life to make him/her heart broken when they pass on, so it would really be hard to shed a tear about a faceless EAB guy.

Please note that when in the past the community came to know about a member or a loved one' passing, it was only because it was of importance for the member involved, for one reason or the other.

other than that, sorry to say it, but it's hypocritical to me.

4) Would it be of comfort a simpathy from EAB to my family, for instance? whaaa... no. (for the better or worse...)
I don't think it's a faith issue at all, but remembering what someone important for our community did when he/she was alive, and above all thinking about their family members. It doesn't really matter if they are IRL, flesh and blood friends or any random, faceless guy on a forum. A friend is a friend. I'm pretty sure Paul's mother at least finds a little comfort in coming here and reading that her son is dearly missed by his friends here, and that he was an important part of the community. Personally I never knew him, but from reading about him here on EAB I understand that he was in fact a great contributor to this community and is missed by his friends here, and why not honour him and everybody else that has passed on with a page with maybe a picture and a little text? I think it's a good idea.
Old 04 March 2009, 14:26   #33
Marcuz

meh. as i said, i find this creepy. culting (sorry, making a hero list is not keeping tabs) people that you don't even know just because they are tied to the amiga community? heck the fact that they are dead is even secondary...

i just don't want to have part in it, but i'm not arguing, do whatever you like to.
Old 04 March 2009, 14:35   #34
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
meh. as i said, i find this creepy. culting (sorry, making a hero list is not keeping tabs) people that you don't even know just because they are tied to the amiga community? heck the fact that they are dead is even secondary...

i just don't want to have part in it, but i'm not arguing, do whatever you like to.
Well he was a good friend to some people here, that's all I'm saying. Although I do understand your point too, just not agreeing with it. =)
Old 04 March 2009, 14:47   #35
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Some spelling and grammatical fixes:

Hall of Hero's -> Hall of Heroes
there dedication -> their dedication
comitment -> commitment
Old 04 March 2009, 16:01   #36
DH
Global Moderator

OK cody, I was rushng this a little bit, but you get the picture
Old 04 March 2009, 16:09   #37
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
personally, and i mean not to offend anybody, i find it a odd and a bit morbid.

do this board need an obituary? i tend not to care about these sort of things being without faith myself, thinking about the live side of life.

that's maybe not a general reasoning enough, so, that aside, let see...

1) is EAB so central in my life that my passing (way after all yours, mind you, so that the debate gets pointless ) should be mentioned here? ehm... no? if i would be dead as a rat, why should i care that you guys know? that would be pretty low on my agenda, i guess.

2) who would even let you know?

3) why should you care? friendly as we may be, there's enough real people in each one life to make him/her heart broken when they pass on, so it would really be hard to shed a tear about a faceless EAB guy.

Please note that when in the past the community came to know about a member or a loved one' passing, it was only because it was of importance for the member involved, for one reason or the other.

other than that, sorry to say it, but it's hypocritical to me.

4) Would it be of comfort a simpathy from EAB to my family, for instance? whaaa... no. (for the better or worse...)
I broadly agree with Marco's post.

It is always very sad when someone in our community, or the wider Amiga coummunity, dies, especially as it is often at a young age which is tragic. And I will always treat it as such and will respect that; and it must be awful for their family and friends. We all know what's it like to lose a loved one, I'm sure, and I wouldn't wish the feelings you get when that happens on anybody.

But to be brutally honest, I think it's hard to care that much about someone's passing when I never knew them (or indeed, knew someone who knew them), and I think life's too short for that; yes, it is sad and as I say, the person's family and friends have my respect. But although a project like this is a nice idea and certainly well-intentioned, personally I wouldn't be able to get involved in it as quite simply my heart wouldn't be in it.

If anyone wants to do it though then it's certainly not a problem with me at all and best of luck to them.
Old 04 March 2009, 16:35   #38
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

a Hall of Heroes is a way of honouring member of the community for their work / time / good looks etc.

I would love to read a bio about Paul, a link to he's work, the lives he touched, again I would love to read up on Fred Fish, who was he, why did he do what he did.

If there is ANYWAY i can help to make this project happen, I would be honoured to take part in it...

Although we can celebrate the growth our community has, It would be nice to honour those that fuel our work, play and imaginations through out the community.

Death is arguably irrelevant in the HOH as I would eventualy like to see living community members nomitated for entry.

HOH is not so much about honouring the past achievements of a few, its about the community appreciating those that help shape, define and create within it.

I have been hoping someone would put up an argument like this since we lost Paul, and I am glad even though some of the mod team are against it, that should it push forward they would support it.
Old 04 March 2009, 16:39   #39
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
a Hall of Heroes is a way of honouring member of the community for their work / time / good looks etc.

I would love to read a bio about Paul, a link to he's work, the lives he touched, again I would love to read up on Fred Fish, who was he, why did he do what he did.

If there is ANYWAY i can help to make this project happen, I would be honoured to take part in it...

Although we can celebrate the growth our community has, It would be nice to honour those that fuel our work, play and imaginations through out the community.

Death is arguably irrelevant in the HOH as I would eventualy like to see living community members nomitated for entry.

HOH is not so much about honouring the past achievements of a few, its about the community appreciating those that help shape, define and create within it.

I have been hoping someone would put up an argument like this since we lost Paul, and I am glad even though some of the mod team are against it, that should it push forward they would support it.
I think this is a good suggestion, kinda like the idea actually.
Old 04 March 2009, 16:44   #40
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well put Z

I think the mod team are not getting it, prehapse its because of the work that might be involved

but just a list of ppl who contributed to the amiga would be great then for completeness thier deaths and birth dates could be added, if known that is