English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 April 2003, 20:04   #21
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Quote:
It should but ask the seller if this fits a standard 15 pin AUI connector on a NIC first
He said yes.......so do i just need a standard 15 pin male to female lead....and standard RJ45 to RJ45 Lead now ?
Old 18 April 2003, 20:57   #22
jmmijo

The transceiver will connect directly to the AUI connector on the NIC. The transceiver is a small box so on the other side of the box will be the RJ45 Ehternet connector, this is where you connect your RJ45 patch cable to
Old 03 May 2003, 20:24   #23
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Received the transceiver and installed Miami but couldn't get the 2 machines to communicate.

Is Miami the right piece of software for connecting my amiga to my pc network ?

Also, on the back of the transceiver box are 2 dip switches labelled "SQE Enable\SQE Disable"...what do these do ?
Old 03 May 2003, 20:32   #24
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by THX1138
Received the transceiver and installed Miami but couldn't get the 2 machines to communicate.

Is Miami the right piece of software for connecting my amiga to my pc network ?

Also, on the back of the transceiver box are 2 dip switches labelled "SQE Enable\SQE Disable"...what do these do ?
You may need to setup a static IP address for the Amiga unless you grab an IP from a local DHCP server. I can explain further if you're not sure how you get an IP address for you machine.

I did find this info from a Google search regarding the SQE function:

http://www.omnitron-systems.com/down...20ug-d-001.PDF

Not sure if it's exact or not but basically it says leave it enabled if connecting workstation-workstation or disabled if connecting via a hub or switch.
Old 03 May 2003, 22:41   #25
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Quote:
Not sure if it's exact or not but basically it says leave it enabled if connecting workstation-workstation or disabled if connecting via a hub or switch.
So,this should be disabled as it is going into my pc hub ?

Quote:
You may need to setup a static IP address for the Amiga unless you grab an IP from a local DHCP server. I can explain further if you're not sure how you get an IP address for you machine.
Yes please!....I tried to assign 192.168.0.2 to the amiga and 192.168.0.1 to the PC with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the amiga's gateway set to the pc's ip address (192.168.0.1) but i think this is all wrong as bollock all happened !
Old 03 May 2003, 22:58   #26
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I think SQE basically sets the cable us a pass thru or null cable
Old 04 May 2003, 05:54   #27
jmmijo

Quote:

So,this should be disabled as it is going into my pc hub ?
Yes as it's going into a hub in this case

Quote:
Yes please!....I tried to assign 192.168.0.2 to the amiga and 192.168.0.1 to the PC with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the amiga's gateway set to the pc's ip address (192.168.0.1) but i think this is all wrong as bollock all happened !
Well you have what appears to be correct however I think that some sort of file sharing needs to be turned on, on the PC side this is easy as the option is thru the object properties sheet, like when you get properties on a folder or file or even a device like a drive or printer for instance. This needs to be enabled but you have to make sure the service is installed on the PC side of things as well.

Now on the Amiga side I believe you need to use something like Samba if I'm not mistaken. Here's the Aminet search:

http://us.aminet.net/aminet/aminet.cgi?string=samba

You could even use something like Amiga Explorer at this point from Cloanto or some other networking client/server option. For instance you can run an FTP server on your PC side with say Bullet Proof or ServU and then connect with an FTP client on the Amiga side as well. This may work out better in that you could set the d/l or u/l options to retry on failures when you are there
Old 04 May 2003, 18:56   #28
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Shouldn't i be able to connect to my pc's network by just using Miami,as this has its own TCP/IP stack?

Do i need to worry about DNS servers or not ?

Should i choose Sana II Ethernet or MNI ?

The device driver for the ethernet card should be in the network folder of devs......but there isn't a folder called networks,so should i make one?
Old 04 May 2003, 20:00   #29
jmmijo

Quote:

Shouldn't i be able to connect to my pc's network by just using Miami,as this has its own TCP/IP stack?
Not neccessarily, you have to have some sort of shared resource if you don't have any kind of DNS and/or NetBIOS to look/search for. Try the FTP server thing I mentioned so this way you don't have to configure anything else, you'll just be using the PC as a basic FTP server and then use the Amiga with a FTP client to connect to the server I think this is an easier way of doing it without having to setup shares and samba.

Quote:

Do i need to worry about DNS servers or not ?
Not really, unless you want Internet access then it becomes neccessary to enter in at least a primary DNS server address manually.

Quote:

Should i choose Sana II Ethernet or MNI ?

The device driver for the ethernet card should be in the network folder of devs......but there isn't a folder called networks,so should i make one?
I'm gonna defer to somebody else on this one. I thought there was an installer for Miami that did this for you automatically, I maybe wrong on this
Old 04 May 2003, 22:38   #30
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Quote:
Not really, unless you want Internet access then it becomes neccessary to enter in at least a primary DNS server address manually
Well,yeah i would like to access the internet on my pc's adsl line through the network......
Old 04 May 2003, 23:09   #31
jmmijo

Quote:
Well,yeah i would like to access the internet on my pc's adsl line through the network......
OK, then I recommend setting up either ICS on your PC so you can share that single connection or use a Cable/DSL router like those from Linksys or Dlink

I personally use the Linksys router as it does have a very easy to use web interface for setting up the config of the router. It's default settings however, are usually just fine for most users.

What you do is set the router up to the xDSL modem then connect each machine, the PC and the Amiga to the onboard switch ports and be sure to setup both machines to grab an IP via DHCP and that should do it.

I have 5 machines in my house on most of the time, just about 24/7 and a few others that get online when needed

As for using ICS, well you'll need to have Win 98 or better first then follow the instructions on Microsoft's website on setting up ICS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;273587

The above is just one of the articles found on their Knowledge Base Site. I think it's much better and easier to use the hardware router method, plus you get a nice hardware based firewall as well
Old 05 May 2003, 00:13   #32
Unknown_K

I think ICS started on windows 98 Second Edition, and windows 2K

Its kind of sucky, get a router.
Old 05 May 2003, 00:25   #33
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I think ICS started on windows 98 Second Edition, and windows 2K

Its kind of sucky, get a router.
Well it's cheaper then a hardware router but you're correct it's kind of a basic option to get going for sure
Old 05 May 2003, 09:19   #34
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

I just want to be able to connect to my pc network and use its Adsl internet connection.

With that in mind,what do you think the best way to go is ?

What exactly is a router ?....roughly how much ?

If i buy a router can i do away with my existing Linksys hub ?

Regarding ICS,this will be install on the pc side of thing...yes ?.....but what do i need on the amiga side ?

Also,i am with btopenworld and i have one of those greeny coloured manta shaped modems.

How do i connect this to the router as there are no additional ports for this ?

Last edited by THX1138; 05 May 2003 at 11:14.
Old 05 May 2003, 15:50   #35
jmmijo

Quote:
I just want to be able to connect to my pc network and use its Adsl internet connection.

With that in mind,what do you think the best way to go is ?

What exactly is a router ?....roughly how much ?

If i buy a router can i do away with my existing Linksys hub ?

Regarding ICS,this will be install on the pc side of thing...yes ?.....but what do i need on the amiga side ?

Also,i am with btopenworld and i have one of those greeny coloured manta shaped modems.

How do i connect this to the router as there are no additional ports for this ?
Again this is what the Linksys router would do for you, it looks a lot like a normal hub but a few more lights on it

It's basically a device like a hub but with more functions to it, like the built-in firewall/nat/dhcp server.

Cost is less then about $85 (USD).

Yes you would do away with the existing hub.

ICS is installed on the PC side and on the Amiga side, again you need to set it up to grab an IP address via DHCP.

Well I assume you have the hub connected to the xDSL modem don't you. If not then You'll need to find out if that xDSL modem has an RJ45 connector on it. If it only supports USB then you can't and are stuck then. You'll have to go with the ICS option via the HUB you have already.
Old 05 May 2003, 19:50   #36
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

I am using Win XP Pro....does this support ics ?

Where can i get ics for the Amiga ?
Old 06 May 2003, 05:03   #37
jmmijo

Quote:

I am using Win XP Pro....does this support ics ?

Where can i get ics for the Amiga ?
Yes XP has built-in ICS support, here's the knowledge base article on how to set it up:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310563

From here you can read many related articles as well. I recommend reviewing some of these then printing out the actual ones you want to reference

As for the Amiga, it will only require you setup the TCP/IP stack to grab an IP automatically and that should do it. There is now ICS that I'm aware of for the Amiga. ICS is of course an acronym, it stands for Internet Connection Sharing.
Old 06 May 2003, 07:53   #38
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Well obviously ics is already set up on my pc as my other pc uses its internet connection through the network ?

So,that should mean just Amiga side of thing to sought out,which i thought was what Miami was supposed to do isn't it ?

Quote:
I tried to assign 192.168.0.2 to the amiga and 192.168.0.1 to the PC with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the amiga's gateway set to the pc's ip address (192.168.0.1) but i think this is all wrong as bollock all happened !
So basically i have tried an ICS connection between them both haven't i ?

How can the Amiga be configured to grab the ip automatically if it has to use the pc's ip address as the gateway..i.e 192.168.0.1 ?
Old 06 May 2003, 07:57   #39
Unknown_K

If ICS is running correctly then you just have to get your amiga setup to use dhcp (to get an ip from the windows box automatically). This would have to be done on the amiga side of things (no idea how since I havnt tried getting my pcmcia network card running yet)
Old 06 May 2003, 16:28   #40
jmmijo

Quote:

How can the Amiga be configured to grab the ip automatically if it has to use the pc's ip address as the gateway..i.e 192.168.0.1 ?
Well it sounds like you have but since I too haven't setup an Amiga's TCP stack I can't give you specifics on the settings. I'm sure somebody here has