English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 May 2016, 17:15   #21
ajk

You need to undo the hex nuts beside each connector in the back in order to get the PCB out of the tray.
Old 15 May 2016, 20:03   #22
-Acid-

Rust is quite common on shielding from what i've seen (i've used steel wool many times to clean them). You have the insulation sheet between shield and the board as well so I doubt that's a problem unless some water has got in there at some point.
Old 15 May 2016, 20:32   #23
kipper2k

I think the board has either a cold solder joint or bad capacitors. You need to boot it without anything attached to the motherboard. Remove the floppy, keyboard, extra memory, HDD, mouse joystick etc.

Once everything removed, boot up the a600, be patient as without a floppy and HDD installed it can take yp to 30 seconds to show the splash screen if you are using KS3.1 and faster if using earlier revisions.

A capacitor does not need to look bad in order to be bad, the electrolytic capacitors are the weak link in the motherboard.

And lastly, if you feel the urge to chuck it, give me a chance to buy it, i hate to see them go to the scrapheap
Old 16 May 2016, 17:43   #24
Soopytwist

I'm sending the mainboard off for repair. Just need to prise it out of the metal shield... and dealing with a shit storm on eBay and the HxC forums.
Old 16 May 2016, 17:48   #25
Amiga1992

That's normal and not an issue. There's plastic between that and the motherboard anyway so it cannot "eat the motherboard".
Definitely not an HxC issue either. I see a lot of gunk/filth around capacitors. I bet you have a capacitor issue.

You should keep the HxC because it's probably fine.

As for the keyboard, snipping the end is not all you have to do, you also have to scratch/reveal the contact points. It's a last resort solution though, and you should only do it if everything fails. I made a thread about it here, dunno if that's what you found online.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:14   #26
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
As for the keyboard, snipping the end is not all you have to do, you also have to scratch/reveal the contact points. It's a last resort solution though, and you should only do it if everything fails. I made a thread about it here, dunno if that's what you found online.
Yeah, same one I think though didn't scratch the contacts. Anyway I'll see if bebek can get it to work.

Mercifully the plastic screen was in place behind the mainboard as the rust has gone right through the metal shield in places.

Underside of the PCB looks fine (the dark patch is the reflection of my iPad!)

Old 16 May 2016, 19:16   #27
Daedalus

I always suggest to people to ship the motherboard in the metal shielding, just for an extra bit of protection. Up to you though...
Old 16 May 2016, 19:34   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
Yeah, same one I think though didn't scratch the contacts.
Then all you did was make them not work anymore.
Old 21 May 2016, 14:32   #29
spannernick
Retro Nuts

This happened to mine but it was after it load Nightbreed the action game then crashed and it would not boot after that,I left it on for about 10 mins and it came back to life and its working fine now..weird,I will never load that game again from floppy.

Yeah your A600 membrane has had it,get a new one or a secondhand one that works,some of the traces have gone.

You can cut it passed the bad bit and scape off the green plasic covering the contacts like i did,Put the cable on a white picece of paper so you can see if you are not takeing to much of the green plasic off,that was my misstake,I didn't at first and scraped the contacts off with the green plasic,i got my A600 keyboard working but only one key don't work,the right shift but I can live with it,I must of done it 5 to 6 times to get it right,it took me 3 days to do it...More info about it here.. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51596

Last edited by spannernick; 21 May 2016 at 14:53.