Old 03 July 2016, 21:43   #21
idrougge

Well, no.
Old 03 July 2016, 21:46   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i don't think an entire book of somebody else's commercial artwork is "fair use" at all.
But emphatically, its not all Nintendos work is it?
Old 03 July 2016, 23:44   #23
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
But emphatically, its not all Nintendos work is it?
Without Nintendo's games there wouldn't be much left that would sell the book though really. They could continue without using images from those games but then would anyone buy it or indeed would they have backed it to begin with if they had been told no Nintendo first party games would be included?
Old 03 July 2016, 23:47   #24
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Without Nintendo's games there wouldn't be much left that would sell the book though really. They could continue without using images from those games but then would anyone buy it or indeed would they have backed it to begin with if they had been told no Nintendo first party games would be included?
Thats not the point i'm making. Other than Nintendo's logos, not all the games images will be from de facto Nintendo produced games. I fail to see how Nintendo could enforce copyright game images to games they hold no copyright to.

If anyone wants to get bitchy about that, it would be LJN, Akklaim, Konami etc, etc, etc, the ACTUAL copyright holders of the games in question.

Thats no different to me taking action against people hosting Kickstart ROMS for Amigas when I don't hold the copyright.
Old 03 July 2016, 23:58   #25
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Thats not the point i'm making. Other than Nintendo's logos, not all the games images will be from de facto Nintendo produced games. I fail to see how Nintendo could enforce copyright game images to games they hold no copyright to.

If anyone wants to get bitchy about that, it would be LJN, Akklaim, Konami etc, etc, etc, the ACTUAL copyright holders of the games in question.

Thats no different to me taking action against people hosting Kickstart ROMS for Amigas when I don't hold the copyright.
That wasn't my point either

From Nintendo's POV this project wouldn't be worth making without their products, I doubt they even care about Konami or LJN's property in that respect. So they are looking at it as other people making money in-part from their copyrights.

Looking at the kickstarter page, they have only mentioned games they made as being infringing their copyright. I agree it's a bit over the top for 8 bit screen grabs from 30 year ago but i'm playing devils advocate here.

They could easily have done a deal for a share of any money made.
Old 04 July 2016, 04:35   #26
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

The amount of "A visual compendiums" people are making in droves is ridiculous.
Old 04 July 2016, 07:29   #27
Cpt. Hindsight

That's why every publisher of guidebooks of London has to pay a fee to Sir Norman Foster if there's a picture of "The Gherkin" in it.
Oh wait, they don't have to.

Can anyone tell me the difference?

Anyways. I don't see the point in those visual compendia either. Put some pics of old games on a USB stick and bring it to a printing service/copy shop if you like to have a book with screenshots.
Old 04 July 2016, 09:36   #28
Amigajay

Apparently he did get permission from Nintendo UK, so communication was lacking in-between their IP police and the UK branch, hopefully he can get it sorted by changing a few things i.e logo and putting unofficial in the title.

When i was putting my Lemmings book together i noticed i was being monitored on Twitter and me checking IP address on my website by the head Sony Europe Marketing, they could have been asses like Nintendo about it and made me change some stuff but they didn't, and probably felt communities and fan bases are based on spirit and goodwill and there really wasn't a point pursing a trivial case like mine, sorry but yeah Nintendo are just being dicks about this case.
Old 04 July 2016, 17:49   #29
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i don't think an entire book of somebody else's commercial artwork is "fair use" at all.
It does and very clearly so.
This is the exact same thing as reviewing these games in a non-Nintendo approved magazine except the reviews are all collected together. Fair use exists precisely because citizens right to access to critical review trumps the rights of the owner.

And to answer the other poster: copyrights rules are 100% international. Fair use included.
Old 04 July 2016, 18:28   #30
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
They do not have to, the fair use exemption exists for a reason and this type of book qualifies 100%. Nintendo stands no chance in court from a theoretical standpoint. Alas, under the US court system they have a chance to outspend the defendant before he has a chance to make his (fairly simple) case.
You'd be nuts to try and find out the answer to that question in a court
Old 04 July 2016, 18:48   #31
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
You'd be nuts to try and find out the answer to that question in a court
No need, this has been tested successfully hundreds of time.
Go visit your bookstore: it is full of this type of works.
Old 04 July 2016, 19:23   #32
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I think Nintendo really couldn't give a flying fox about the games images - I'm sure they are specifically peeved at the use of their 'Nintendo Seal of Quality' which is perfectly reasonable. Even if it was changed slightly, it was still a really daft thing to put on a Nintendo book without permission.
Old 05 July 2016, 01:42   #33
idrougge

Quote:
And to answer the other poster: copyrights rules are 100% international. Fair use included.
No it's not. Fair use is an American law.
Old 05 July 2016, 06:08   #34
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
No it's not. Fair use is an American law.
To be precise, it is a doctrine and yes, the term is US specific but most civilized countries have similar ones thank god, otherwise there would be very few history and art books around there.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Fair use is a US legal doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. It is similar to the fair dealing doctrines used in some countries outside the United States.
Every western country has laws which limit copyrights in the areas where the limitation benefits the general public.
The right of information and critical review is recognized in all of them.

Also, remember the part where you mentioned that there was "no risk" in publishing that type of book?
Getting sued looks like a pretty big risk to me.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 05 July 2016 at 06:22. Reason: Added more info. Rephrased, grammar.
Old 05 July 2016, 11:49   #35
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
To be precise, it is a doctrine and yes, the term is US specific but most civilized countries have similar ones thank god, otherwise there would be very few history and art books around there.
The UK is much more strict than other countries, the US has always had an exemption for works of satire for instance, in UK law this is a very new thing (2014).

History and art books are a different matter altogether though, since anything sufficiently old is out of copyright anyway.

There is an exemption in UK law for work used in "criticism and review" but to be honest i think it is really stretching it in this case, given the way the artwork is so prominently displayed, what the phrase "visual compendium" implies (i.e. that it is a book of artwork), that anyone buying it will hardly need a "review" of the games anyway and that as Bitmap Books says themselves it is to "relive your memories of classic gaming". I think they would have a hard time arguing fair use for criticism and review in a court of law. Then again, i'm no lawyer.

I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that has an exemption for "nostalgia".

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 05 July 2016 at 11:55.
Old 05 July 2016, 12:05   #36
idrougge

Quote:
If the American interpretation of "fair use" was international, explain this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat
Every western country has laws which limit copyrights in the areas where the limitation benefits the general public.
The right of information and critical review is recognized in all of them.
Granted, but you have to make a case that you're closer to critial review than to a Panini sticker album.
Just like Mrs Beanbag writes above.

Quote:
Also, remember the part where you mentioned that there was "no risk" in publishing that type of book?
Getting sued looks like a pretty big risk to me.
I also stated that that only applied to non-idiots.
Old 05 July 2016, 12:18   #37
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
That's why every publisher of guidebooks of London has to pay a fee to Sir Norman Foster if there's a picture of "The Gherkin" in it.
Oh wait, they don't have to.

Can anyone tell me the difference?
One has a specific exemption in law, and the other hasn't.

In fact not every company has such an exemption, and it can be illegal to publish photographs of certain buildings without permission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama
Old 05 July 2016, 21:39   #38
S0ulA55a551n

I hope they don't stop this which i backed and awaiting eagerly

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-ultimate-book
Old 06 July 2016, 02:28   #39
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Interesting. But this is no proof, and I am not going to search through the pages history to verify that images are lacking because of Copyright issues.
If you are certain they are, then the link is welcome.

Quote:
Granted, but you have to make a case that you're closer to critial review than to a Panini sticker album.
Just like Mrs Beanbag writes above.
Only after publication, not before, unless they have some magical way to know the exact content in advance. (There is likely a disclaimer somewhere indicating that the current trailer/images is no guarantee of the final content.)

Remember, Nintendo was able to stop this because they pressured the founding company. If this was a regular book publisher they would have no recourse before the actual publication.

Quote:
I also stated that that only applied to non-idiots.
Funny and particularly easy to say from the comfort of our homes but without more information this is just speculation. We simply have no information about this guy professionalism and assuming anything is just wishful thinking.
Old 06 July 2016, 14:07   #40
idrougge

Quote:
Interesting. But this is no proof, and I am not going to search through the pages history to verify that images are lacking because of Copyright issues.

If you are certain they are, then the link is welcome.
Of course it is because of copyright issues. A dictionary isn't improved by having nonsense illustrations.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...echte#Fair_Use
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_u...nternationally
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_d...ed_Kingdom_law

Quote:
Only after publication, not before, unless they have some magical way to know the exact content in advance. (There is likely a disclaimer somewhere indicating that the current trailer/images is no guarantee of the final content.)

Remember, Nintendo was able to stop this because they pressured the founding company. If this was a regular book publisher they would have no recourse before the actual publication.
By the time you put your work on Kickstarter, you're in commercial territory, effectively selling your work. By that time, you should know very well whose work you're selling, and whether you have the legal right to do so.

Quote:
Funny and particularly easy to say from the comfort of our homes but without more information this is just speculation. We simply have no information about this guy professionalism and assuming anything is just wishful thinking.
When you're dealing with defunct companies like Ocean or Bitmap Brothers, aiming for a niche market of Amiga fans, you may play it leisurely. But when you're dealing with Nintendo (and its millions of fans), the stakes are some orders of magnitude higher.