English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 11 June 2011, 22:17   #21
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Back before health & safety ruined the racing aspect in formula 1 (e.g. when the game was made) the faster drivers had to negotiate a way past the slower (lapped) drivers. Blue flags (to tell drivers a car was about to lap them and they must let them through) were only introduced sometime in the last 10 years or so. F1 has been going for decades.
I'm right with you there pal, I'm a huge F1 fan and have every race from 1984 - 1994 (Senna Era). All the Health and Safety stuff really came in after all the mess at Imola in '94. I think they stopped using Zeltweg as the Austrian GP back in '86, so it's strange it should be included in the game. Same with Fuji; that hadn't been used since '77 Gilles Villeneuve was involved in a crash that killed two spectators, and wasn't used again until '07. With that in mind the game is most definitely a homage to the golden (turbo) era rather than what it was in 1990/91 when they made it.

Having said that, there wouldn't be half as much skill involved in the game if all the cars went around at a uniform speed (ala Lotus), and the 'dead slow' drivers echo the real unpredictability of Grand Prix racing. I remember Ayrton Senna smashing into the back of one of these at one race, and had to go around on three wheels! I play this on with an 030 'cus the speed feels just right for me, and passing those slow cars is harder but much more rewarding having done so on bravery alone.

BTW, I'm going to pull out this game every day this week, who's gonna join me?

Last edited by lifeschool; 11 June 2011 at 22:30.
Old 12 June 2011, 09:37   #22
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
I think they stopped using Zeltweg as the Austrian GP back in '86, so it's strange it should be included in the game.
It was used in the F1 from 1970-1987 and then again from 1997-2003:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96sterreichring

So it's still strange since Vroom was released 1992.
Old 13 June 2011, 22:09   #23
capehorn

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vroom (1991)(Lankhor)_004.png
Views:	148
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	28865  
Old 14 June 2011, 09:01   #24
Graham Humphrey

Overtook eleven cars on the French track this time but still not quite able to crack it...

Old 14 June 2011, 22:32   #25
capehorn

I'm good enough to complete track three, it's just the random slow cars which keep ruining it for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vroom (1991)(Lankhor)_005.png
Views:	145
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	28869  
Old 14 June 2011, 23:11   #26
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I wish I could complete track 3 - I struggle so badly on that track. Yesterday I didn't even complete track 2 and got so frustrated that I decided to do a little programming and play Alien Fish Finger instead.

At this point in time, I don't think I can better my current score.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 14 June 2011, 23:29   #27
capehorn

Track 3 isn't really all that hard when you think about it. All you have to do is remember where the track goes down to one lane and break well before it. Then break whenever you see the red arrow warning of a sharp bend. Accelerate through the rest of the track. That will be enough to get you through it and having passed enough cars (14) to qualify. As long as you can also get past the slow runners.

Edit: 68,358
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vroom (1991)(Lankhor)_006.png
Views:	153
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	28871  

Last edited by capehorn; 15 June 2011 at 02:53.
Old 15 June 2011, 18:05   #28
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

My tires always go on track 3, and as I discovered on Monday pitting is a joke. I must re-read lifeschools tips before I try again.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 15 June 2011, 19:03   #29
capehorn

The pit lane on track 3 is a joke, but if you need a pitstop on that you probably aren't doing well enough to qualify. I had a near perfect on it today and only finished 2 positions ahead of what is the minimum needed.
Old 16 June 2011, 09:02   #30
Graham Humphrey

Argh! Crashed on one of the final corners and got overtaken by the one car I needed to stay in front of in order to qualify for the next race

Old 16 June 2011, 18:10   #31
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
My tires always go on track 3, and as I discovered on Monday pitting is a joke. I must re-read lifeschools tips before I try again. Lonewolf10
Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
The pit lane on track 3 is a joke, but if you need a pitstop on that you probably aren't doing well enough to qualify. I had a near perfect on it today and only finished 2 positions ahead of what is the minimum needed.
Track 3 (Casti-lay) is perhaps the hardest of them all. I say 'perhaps' because the later tracks ARE hard but become much easier with practice - track 3 doesn't!! The maximum number of red cars I've ever got on track #3 is only 5. My average is just 2! I think it's impossible to get a full score table on track 3.

As for pitting, you have to go so slow around that penuntimate bend it's untrue. You basically have to do it in 1st gear, and just roll it in without power, then brake while pressing the T key until it works. Like you say Capehorn, if you have to pit on track 3 or track 5 you may as well throw in the towel; as you won't be able to catch up in time to qualify. This doesn't hamper the other courses in the same way, and pitting on track 6 is almost a necessity.

Tips for track 3? - well, beyond the drivethru guide I can only reiterate that the horrible left-right chicane near the start is the most important thing in the world. If you can get by the first five cars and do this chicane first-time-out, you can (and must!) put some distance between you and the rest of the grid - and then if you crash you won't lose your position. Crashing into a barrier or off-course is the worst thing you can do on track 3, but crashing into the back of a car is more-or-less ok, and you'll soon catch up.

The road will weave as it climbs the hill, and it is vital to pass cleanly or not at all. Try to take the very top corner (at the top of the hill) at top speed by leaning sharply to the right early. Avoid passing cars on the long double right-hander which follows the drop-down - as you're bound to crash when the road flicks before the bridge - but instead keep close behind the car infront and watch it. If it goes into the right-hand lane before the 'pit corner', move to the left and out-brake it into the corner. If it goes left, move to the right-hand lane (and keep right) to take care of it as you go around the bend.

Tires will never be a problem unless you crash more than 5 times, so its best to be panicky on the brakes rather than dive for gaps close to the edge of the circuit. I would have said 'extra kid gloves' is needed here, but frankly this course is the shortest on the calendar, and you really don't have time to hang around; so sometimes taking risks (and a lot of luck) is really what's needed. After that you'll get past track 4 and onto 5 with a great score - no problem.

Oh yeah, if you want to visually see how I do it, remember I have a video on the Lemon thread (page 1), or watch it here: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by lifeschool; 16 June 2011 at 22:30.
Old 18 June 2011, 10:44   #32
Graham Humphrey

Last day of the round people - remember we have a break after this so make the most of it...

And don't forget the winner gets to choose what year we pick games from for the next round but I think this won't concern EAB somehow
Old 19 June 2011, 00:36   #33
Graham Humphrey

One more go and finally I start to get somewhere. Silverstone was a breeze but Sweden was altogether more difficult. The first half of the race was a nightmare but I did get to grips with it and almost made it. It wasn't quite enough but I'm more than satisified with my final score.

Old 19 June 2011, 00:58   #34
capehorn

My warmest congratulations to anyone who completed track 5.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vroom (1991)(Lankhor)_009.png
Views:	144
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	28900  
Old 19 June 2011, 01:02   #35
Graham Humphrey

Just when I thought I exacted revenge for Pang

The round is now over - congrats to lifeschool for bagging his first win and for the tons of advice he has given. Not a great turnout from the EAB lads - just six which is disappointing but we've now got a break to recharge our batteries before the second special round, which will be games from 1994 only.