Old 09 June 2024, 04:37   #21
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

https://inv.tux.pizza/watch?v=Fvq8ZFy0qu8
Old 09 June 2024, 10:18   #22
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Oh, for fuck's sake...you guys just can't stop talking about more Doom ports to the Amiga huh? We already got multiple ones, we don't need anything else. Why should someone bother converting the SNES version, anyway? I'm pretty sure it uses the inferior level maps from the Atari Jaguar port
If you're not interested in a thread, don't talk about it. It doesn't affect the existence of Final Fight Enhanced, Dungeonette, Cecconoid etc.

I'm interested in this thread because - we have lots of unofficial Doom clones and ports now, but this is about a situation in which there could have been an official conversion in 1994, or at worst alongside the likes of Gloom and AB3D in mid-1995. SNES Doom was a big selling point for the console, when you'd think Doom was something only the next generation of systems could do. At a time when Commodore had folded and the US market was largely gone, but the Amiga was still strong in Europe, having an official Doom (albeit with simplified levels) might have been the killer app to tempt a big company to rescue the Amiga brand in time for Christmas 1994. I know it's a lot of ifs, but we can debate.

Plus, it's interesting to know that Amigas were still getting historically-significant use at that time.

Unfortunately if a 21Mhz Super FX II chip was required to achieve 10FPS, getting even that speed from a 7Mhz A500 or even 14Mhz A1200 would have meant some extra work, perhaps halving the practical resolution again?
Old 09 June 2024, 11:12   #23
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I guess an Amiga version wouldn't have the guaranteed sales Nintendo could get, even when cut down to suit low-end models.
When you combine the lower installed user base with the number of users that would willingly pay for a copy... yeah, the SNES was the better bet.
Old 09 June 2024, 11:23   #24
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
If you're not interested in a thread, don't talk about it. It doesn't affect the existence of Final Fight Enhanced, Dungeonette, Cecconoid etc.

I'm interested in this thread because - we have lots of unofficial Doom clones and ports now, but this is about a situation in which there could have been an official conversion in 1994, or at worst alongside the likes of Gloom and AB3D in mid-1995. SNES Doom was a big selling point for the console, when you'd think Doom was something only the next generation of systems could do. At a time when Commodore had folded and the US market was largely gone, but the Amiga was still strong in Europe, having an official Doom (albeit with simplified levels) might have been the killer app to tempt a big company to rescue the Amiga brand in time for Christmas 1994. I know it's a lot of ifs, but we can debate.

Plus, it's interesting to know that Amigas were still getting historically-significant use at that time.

Unfortunately if a 21Mhz Super FX II chip was required to achieve 10FPS, getting even that speed from a 7Mhz A500 or even 14Mhz A1200 would have meant some extra work, perhaps halving the practical resolution again?
Did you watch the video ? The only connection between this and the amiga was it was the development platform.

It was using the Super Fx 2 chip to do pretty much everything. Has anyone even looked at the capabilities of the Super Fx 2 chip to see what sort of CPU/ RAM Speed you would need to replicate the capabilities of that chip.
Old 09 June 2024, 11:23   #25
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
The specs and performance are actually quite similar, which suggests that it might not be hard to port the SNES version to the A500 or A1200.
Doom level 1 exists for the Dread engine, including levels of elevation.
Old 09 June 2024, 11:41   #26
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Doom level 1 exists for the Dread engine, including levels of elevation.
The Dread engine interests me only as a proof of concept. I think that Doom 1 should be created for it just to make a point. I have understand, that it uses Doom level editor?? A new game is a different thing. Its only point is that it runs on the A500 in full screen. Otherwise, it's just another Doom clone, like Citadel, Fears, AB3D, Gloom, Breathless, etc.
Old 09 June 2024, 11:54   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
SNES Doom was a big selling point for the console, when you'd think Doom was something only the next generation of systems could do.
I don't think that Doom was a selling point for the Super Nintendo in late 1995. I'd say it was more the other way around. Because a lot of people had the console it made sense publish even the quite technically limited version.
Old 09 June 2024, 12:29   #28
Cris1997XX

Quote:
If you're not interested in a thread, don't talk about it.
This wasn't even the thread's main topic, someone just posted the link to some Amiga back-up discs. But meh, feel free to spin your narrative on whatever you want
Old 09 June 2024, 12:50   #29
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Oh, for fuck's sake...you guys just can't stop talking about more Doom ports to the Amiga huh? We already got multiple ones, we don't need anything else. Why should someone bother converting the SNES version, anyway? I'm pretty sure it uses the inferior level maps from the Atari Jaguar port
We need Doom on A1000 with 256kb!!!
Old 09 June 2024, 12:55   #30
dreadnought

Quote:
I know it's a lot of ifs, but we can debate.
We totally should, it's a topic rarely touched upon on these pages.

Secondly, a thing to consider is that Jaguar, Sega 32X & 3DO all had Doom ports and yet tanked pretty badly.
Old 09 June 2024, 15:24   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The only SuperFX assembler at the time was Argasm the Argonaut assembler which was originally developed for 680x0. There were versions for the Amiga (and x86 PC)

[EDIT:] The author says he wrote his own SuperFX tool chain, fascinating

Last edited by alexh; 10 June 2024 at 09:31.
Old 09 June 2024, 16:09   #32
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Why should someone bother converting the SNES version, anyway? I'm pretty sure it uses the inferior level maps from the Atari Jaguar port
Actually they're based on the PC levels, making it more faithful in that regards than many other console ports of the era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
It was using the Super Fx 2 chip to do pretty much everything. Has anyone even looked at the capabilities of the Super Fx 2 chip to see what sort of CPU/ RAM Speed you would need to replicate the capabilities of that chip.
The Super FX 2 is a pretty beefy chip for the time and one which is highly optimised for 3D games, featuring fast multiplication as well as optimised bitmap plotting. And even it struggles a bit with Doom. The idea that it's a more "lightweight" port that the Amiga can match is probably a nonsense.
Old 09 June 2024, 19:10   #33
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
What is your definition of 'low-end Amiga'?

Doom requires a 68040 CPU on Amiga to run at playable speed. SNES Doom is more lightweight, so it could run better on 68020/68030 systems than original Doom being still a "Doom".
A standard A500 or A1200. What else ? (But I wasn't the one that talked about a "low end Amiga" at first)

Btw, as said after your post Doom doesn't recquire a 68040 to be playable on the Amiga.
Old 09 June 2024, 19:18   #34
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Btw, as said after your post Doom doesn't recquire a 68040 to be playable on the Amiga.
He is undercover John Carmack.
Old 09 June 2024, 20:06   #35
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

https://github.com/Sunlitspace542/DOOM-FX
Old 09 June 2024, 21:20   #36
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
A standard A500 or A1200. What else ? (But I wasn't the one that talked about a "low end Amiga" at first)
For me low end Amigas are anything less than 68040.

Quote:
I think it does, which leads to the question: what should the FPS be to say that Doom is playable? I do have several 68030 and 68020 accelerated Amigas, and playing Doom on them is not actually a pleasure.

Here, Doom with CDTV 68020 28mhz

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2024, 21:34   #37
d4rk3lf

Quote:
I think it does, which leads to the question: what should the FPS be to say that Doom is playable? I do have several 68030 and 68020 accelerated Amigas, and playing Doom on them is not actually a pleasure.

[ Show youtube player ]
But Amiga was not built for Doom.
Don't you think that this 28Mhz CDTV is actually quite impressive achievement for the hardware that is not built for these types of games?
This looks smoother then some 386 versions of the Doom.

Now find me an 286 VGA platformer that looks and plays like Lionheart, Ruff'n'Tumble, Arabian Nights... or can run software like Octamed, Deluxe Paint.. etc.
Old 09 June 2024, 22:51   #38
sokolovic

Quote:
For me low end Amigas are anything less than 68040.

[ Show youtube player ]
Well YOU think it does. That's up to your personal taste.

Your video doesn't show an unplayable version of Doom, especially since it is almost full screen. On the contrary I think it is quite an achievement to run that well.

2024 players exigences about FPS aren't 1993 players one's.
Old 10 June 2024, 04:56   #39
grelbfarlk

Now we just need to add a SuperFX chip to the A1200 like Commodore should have. Put the SuperFX in the PCMCIA card with the Flash storage for the game.
And here's a game to test it out on.
Old 10 June 2024, 08:10   #40
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Now we just need to add a SuperFX chip to the A1200 like Commodore should have. Put the SuperFX in the PCMCIA card with the Flash storage for the game.
And here's a game to test it out on.
SSHHHTTTT !! Don't say it too loud or someone might ask if is doable via FPGA...