English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 08 October 2003, 10:50   #21
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
All operating systems are getting bloated including osx and linux. Alot of the problem is that they keep adding new features to an OS that should be a seperate app. XP uses up 1gb? Glad I am not using it, win2k isnt that bad as far as bloat goes.
Old 08 October 2003, 10:56   #22
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
Amen to that! Did you know the visitor statistics of basically every self-proclaimed "Microsoft Hatepage" show up to 99% IE users?
They're the people with the best reasons to hate IE... :-)

(btw, if you use Opera or something, chances are you've got it set on "identify as I.E.", as some dumb websites won't let you in unless you're using a recent version of IE or Netscape - I'm "using" MSIE 6.0 right now, and I know from experience that if I change the options so that my browser is identified as Opera, there will be trouble)
Old 08 October 2003, 11:03   #23
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
[B]And there's a small problem of application availability. I'd be on linux right now had I a way to play my games on it.
Yup. The fact is that for serious computer gamers, there is no real alternative to Windows. It sucks, I hate it, but I am addicted to games and so I have to use it. Tough luck for me. If there was a proper alternative, I'd ditch Windows in a second.

Most people don't use Windows because of it's qualities, they use it because of the software that's available for it.
Old 08 October 2003, 11:05   #24
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Unknown_K: The latest (stable) version of Linux is 5 MB (in bzip2 format). All the rest you'll get with some mainstream distro are just seperate apps doing some job on top of it.

kolorabi: If you set any browser to identify as EI, you'll never give 'webmasters' a reason to change their sites, because they'll always have the 'argument' that 'nobody uses anything else'. It's contraproductive. When I was still using Opera (version 5 and also briefly 6 when it was new - 7 sucks badly), I always set it not to lie about its identity and I never really had any serious trouble. On the other hand, I've started locking out all browsers which identify themselves as "MSIE" from my own site on one day of the month
Old 08 October 2003, 11:47   #25
kolorabi

Mr. Creosote, I do agree with you, but being the lazy SOB that I am, I do this out of convenience. I use Opera because it really is a superior browser, but it's more convenient for me to "pretend" to be using IE. Though now I've set it to spoof as Mozilla 5.0 instead.. Makes me feel a little better :-)
Old 24 October 2003, 15:04   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Come back to me when you have a viable platform to sell me and I dont mean the 100 little linux distros I have to compile all the apps for
You dont have to compile the apps, you can download binaries. And the whole point in compiling is that firstly it makes it easier to use across different platforms, and secondly, it is built specifically for your machine and is therefore faster.
Old 29 October 2003, 23:54   #27
andyr

Regarding cache and log files in windows...

Do what I did - download a utility to create a ramdisk and then direct all temp files, log files and cache folders to it.

This way, whenever you re-boot, everything is purged from your system. When windows starts up again and finds the folders missing and there aren't any index.dat files (these one's are the real activity recorders), it just creates empty ones!

Just goto your windows/cookies directory now and try to delete index.dat ... you'll find you can't.

AR Soft Ramdisk works for me!
Old 30 October 2003, 00:08   #28
jmmijo

Actually you can if you know how to do it

You have to be a local machine administrator then you go in via the cmd and change the attributes and viola, you can usually purge the whole folder this way, you also need to quite IE first before doing so as it locks a lot of these files.
Old 30 October 2003, 14:02   #29
andyr

I've just tried your reply out and I still receive the 'file is in use so cannot be deleted' error.

You can delete the files from pure dos mode (which if you run XP you'll have to use a win98 boot disk to get into.

My way, once set up (it really isn't hard) means that everything I direct to my ram drive (which for me is drive Z: ) is purged on every shutdown/reboot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramdisk.gif
Views:	262
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	6119  
Old 30 October 2003, 14:30   #30
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Wont work if you are using NT, 2000, XP or 2003 and an NTFS drive as you can't access NTFS drives from DOS. There is a program available to let you browse, but thats it.