English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 December 2006, 11:23   #21
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
It's the old argument buddy. People think the AmigaOS will come back to life because it's been licensed to a device with specific hardware (like the old Amiga) and x86 is no good for this.

Why not specify an exact x86 hardware set for the AmigaOS much like the BeBox(?) was? Just more stupid decisions. Making it on PPC was mistake number one. It's as if Amiga doesn't want to survive.

If someone can give me one single unique selling point of AmigaOS, I'll bow down and admit I'm totally wrong.

Stability is not one. I can get that on at least three other operating systems.
Simply liking amigaos should be a selling point its ease of use, easy maintainablity and responsivness are nice features too. not too difficult to learn about th way the os works just by looking into its file structure which is far simpler then any windows/linux. Macos isnt so bad as like aos it uses a moduler file structure so you know what goes where but still a shitload of iles for basic things where as as doew the same job in one or two.

I realise cost would effect it also and its likely only those that know what amigaos is is likely to get it, but if sony was able to help market it, it may see some more outside interest. i imagine any alternate os for ps3 would have same needs to let people know an os exists for ps3.

I also like to see it ported to #86/i64 which gives it a much wider scope. I guess at the time when commodore chose a processor, ppc looked to be going somewhere. pcs at the time 486/pentium1 win95? were hardly fun to use, slowand suffered massive stability issues so may not have looked attractive at the time.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:37   #22
redblade
Zone Friend

Yeah NetBSD on PS3 is gonnah rock. hoho can't wait for the latest Kill Zone and MGS4.

I just hope that Kill Zone on PS3 has usb mouse and keyboard support. That was the only major let down with Kill Zone on PS2.
Old 06 December 2006, 15:25   #23
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
Simply liking amigaos should be a selling point
That's a cop out and you know it!

Quote:
its ease of use, easy maintainablity and responsivness are nice features too. not too difficult to learn about th way the os works just by looking into its file structure which is far simpler then any windows/linux.
Not when you realise that 95% of users (especially PS3 users, for gods sake!) use the C: D: and E: method. You're refering to the 1.3 version of the operating system and it's competitors back then. The three major operating systems of today eclipse AmigaOS in all those departments.

You're also forgetting the points raised above. Use of the word 'masses' in one post and then your talking about 'learning about the way the OS works'. The masses, as you well know couldn't give two shits about how the OS works. If the software is available, the OS is reliable and the hardware is cheap you're onto a winner. AmigaOS satisfies only one of those three.

Quote:
Macos isnt so bad as like aos it uses a moduler file structure so you know what goes where but still a shitload of iles for basic things where as as doew the same job in one or two.
Again, only for interest to geeks. Average joe cares not about this. This thread turned into 'AmigaOS' for this masses way up the top.

Besides, when AmigaOS has all the built-in features of Windows XP or MacOS then come back and tell us how lovely the filesystem is.

Quote:
I realise cost would effect it also and its likely only those that know what amigaos is is likely to get it, but if sony was able to help market it, it may see some more outside interest. i imagine any alternate os for ps3 would have same needs to let people know an os exists for ps3.
I agree, but only fractions of 1% of users. This, again, was about 'the masses'.

Quote:
I also like to see it ported to #86/i64 which gives it a much wider scope. I guess at the time when commodore chose a processor, ppc looked to be going somewhere. pcs at the time 486/pentium1 win95? were hardly fun to use, slowand suffered massive stability issues so may not have looked attractive at the time.
I also agree with this, but look how the market actually went. Commodore were obviously unable to predict this where as other companies got it right. Shame on Commodore, don't blame the market for not following them!

Not mention the fact that Windows 95 (release of) was one of the final nails in the coffin of the Amiga, and the release that got an awful lot of Amigans to jump ship. I moved to Windows 95 (from AOS) when it was released. I never looked back once so it can't be _that_ bad.

(Replace 'Commodore' above with whoever actually made this decision )

Last edited by P-J; 06 December 2006 at 18:01.
Old 06 December 2006, 20:52   #24
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Not mention the fact that Windows 95 (release of) was one of the final nails in the coffin of the Amiga, and the release that got an awful lot of Amigans to jump ship. I moved to Windows 95 (from AOS) when it was released. I never looked back once so it can't be _that_ bad.
was it really a time to jump ship back when win95 came about ? At some point around that time my first pc was a P90 with win95, but i didnt stop upgrading and using the amiga. for along while the amiga still did everything faster and easier. sure the pc had the likes of doom, but even that had to be played in a smaller res at points as the machine was so slow For gaming I spent more time in dos !! took a few years but when voodoo came out with proper 3d games, and internet explorer came about, thats probably when i started using pc more.

i still use my actual amiga very rarely/occassionaly for Fxpaint and Imagestudio as I cant find similar easy/quick progs on pc. photoshop/paintshop are massive resource hogs to show a blank canvas lol and so many buttons, its hard to find the function wanted

I firmly belive theres a place for a fast. efficiant and light os which no other exists. However aos needs abit of eye candy for anyone to notice it. I cant belive alot of users actually want to switch to Vista purly for 3d windows, regardless of the overall system performance loss and it doesnt do anything winxp doesnt do. eyecandy sells
Old 06 December 2006, 21:53   #25
P-J

I think you're just choosing to view the Amiga in a better light and there is no reasoning with you. There's not a single point above that is either :

a) True
or
b) Makes any sense

Oh, and by the way, the fast, efficient OS you speak of is either Zeta/BeOS or BSD.

...but without the Amiga name or look, you'll always dismiss it.

Quote:
vista... and it doesnt do anything winxp doesnt do.
You are so ill-informed I actually want to cut my own head off and throw it at you.

How about... Windows - It does everything that AmigaOS doesn't?
Old 06 December 2006, 23:07   #26
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Heys guys

A little more love please imma thinking a nice big group hug would do wonders....

after that you need *at least* 50 paces and only use automatic weapons (baseball bats / chainsaws have exceptions)

---

P-J has a valid point the AmigaOS's are technically and featurely inadequate compared to other offerings that are available in todays market.

but in saying that realistically the latest fedora core is much better than windowsxp (lacks a little games support however) and a few graphics drivers lol but truthfully its very nice (if you get a chance check out slackware )

the problem is with linux its releagated to the geek and enthusiast and winxp-soon-if-ever-released-vista are very expensive for what they realistaclly offer..

I donno P-J, i so see you point of an Amiga OS being some what pointless simply because it wont have the features expected from todays markets. Even if discreate FX manage to take controll and output something i fear a little to late.

I have some ideas that could be marketed, it all depeneds on how a market would react.. but with that comes investment into a lot of things that I fear that Amiga (whom ever owns it) would not have the funds for.

I dont think its all ALL ALLLLL over for Amiga... it dont have a great hand to play but it has potential if atleast it attempts to do SOMETHING instead of simply stagnating and pretending that OS4 is the answer to everything for it is not... It doesnt even have a defninitive graphics driver support.

There are many things i would like to see but in the end there are pros and cons to them and its pointless at the moment to list them.

From a personal point of view i dont think the END of amiga is NIGH its already come and gone.... but its nice to wonder that atleast something other than good memories can be resurected from the ashes and embers.

as a small point.... set the wayback machine to well... way back..... IBM sold off a poorly maintained and basic IO system.... this got bought up by a small group of engineers (12 of them i think) 1 of them was Bill Gates... within 2 years they sold a lucrative licsense back to IBM for thier new product... the personal PC.. whom at the time only though that a maximum of 1000 unit would be sold....

hmmm begs one to think... so I am not gonna rule out amiga future just yet....
Old 07 December 2006, 09:31   #27
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
I think you're just choosing to view the Amiga in a better light and there is no reasoning with you. There's not a single point above that is either :

a) True
or
b) Makes any sense

Oh, and by the way, the fast, efficient OS you speak of is either Zeta/BeOS or BSD.

...but without the Amiga name or look, you'll always dismiss it.

You are so ill-informed I actually want to cut my own head off and throw it at you.

How about... Windows - It does everything that AmigaOS doesn't?
it just gets better doesnt it accuse me of being blind to other os's and you yourself cant open your eyes to what the latest aos can do and would rarther see it not exist at all. makes me think the only aos youve uses is wb1.0 !

windows sure can do lots of things , but 80% of it is stuff that never used or dissabled in a corporate environment !! so all it ends up being is an app launcher for word and photoshop.

all the useful features aos can do and alot of them aos has been doing a long time.

The point in this thread is to establish if the ps3 can be the hardware to put aos4 on as no other hardware will ever exist past the current dying a1's and I personaly think its the last chance the aos has to find the hardware it needs at a nice price. iw ill buy a ps3 regardless for the games I play. id also buy the aos if it wasnt stupidly priced for the ps3. its just much more pleasurable to use then any linux FOR ME !
Old 07 December 2006, 10:07   #28
redblade
Zone Friend

haha windows vista, i wonder what the recommended system requirements are?

512mb ram or 1024mb ram.
Old 07 December 2006, 10:27   #29
P-J

Quote:
it just gets better doesnt it accuse me of being blind to other os's and you yourself cant open your eyes to what the latest aos can do and would rarther see it not exist at all. makes me think the only aos youve uses is wb1.0 !
Whatever it can do, it can only do on useless overpriced hardware. So it might as well not bother.

Quote:
windows sure can do lots of things , but 80% of it is stuff that never used or dissabled in a corporate environment !! so all it ends up being is an app launcher for word and photoshop.
We have a moron! Do you expect that your (ridiculous) PS3 powered AmigaOS is going to replace Windows 2K/XP in the corporate environment? If not, why do you talk about corporations? Do you think that if AmigaOS was in the corporate environment that it wouldn't be an app launcher for whatever passes for an office suite on Amiga?

You have absolutely NO ground in the AmigaOS Vs Win/Lin/Mac argument. You can't even begin to compare AmigaOS to any of these major operating systems. You just choose a really crap (and false) example to fit your argument and you've already convinced yourself that you're correct.

Quote:
all the useful features aos can do and alot of them aos has been doing a long time.
Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and actually state some of them? You haven't mentioned one single feature. Perhaps the zealotry is saved for Amigaworld.

Quote:
The point in this thread is to establish if the ps3 can be the hardware to put aos4 on as no other hardware will ever exist past the current dying a1's and I personaly think its the last chance the aos has to find the hardware it needs at a nice price. iw ill buy a ps3 regardless for the games I play. id also buy the aos if it wasnt stupidly priced for the ps3. its just much more pleasurable to use then any linux FOR ME !
For you and about another, well, handful of users. You were the one who was talking about the 'masses', not me.

AmigaOS is dead, long live the memories.
Old 07 December 2006, 10:40   #30
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

there seems to be so much blind hate in you p-j you resort to name calling and cant even be bothered to argue your points or state examples. you feel the need to see what you want to see and cant take in anything else that defies your beliefs a very closed mind. doesnt seem to matter that you have no clue of other oses or even used them.
and especially no clue of amigaos so i dont even know why you have to fight it with so much passion.

you re tormented by the word "masses" for some reason I cant fathom.

Windows will always be the dominant OS for the masses so why does linux and macos and others even exists ? non of em can do anything windows cant do so why do they exist at all ? simply because it can do everything doesnt mean it does them very well.
Old 07 December 2006, 10:42   #31
Dizzy
Pirate

I think you 2 guys need to relaxe and stop this little war you end up closing the thread.
Old 07 December 2006, 11:52   #32
Interceptor

amiga os was created specifically for the amiga hardware at the time, it was derived from an OS called tripos. but it wasnt tripos, just derived from it.

that amiga hardware is now dead, and so is the os with it. that's just the truth of it. keep force feeding it on a life support machine if you must, but it's just a vegetable.

really, i think sensible people are waiting for the 'next' amiga not the 'new' amiga. if someone at or for sony were to derive linux and create a new os for the ps3 for it, and it were useful and marketed as say, sonyOS, then i'm sure it'd be great and we'd have our 'next' amiga. think about it, the amiga was great because you could switch it on, stick a disk in and play the best games, if you fancied doing something more you could boot into workbench and you could use the great software that was available at the time. if you have a decent os for the ps3, you would have a machine that does exactly the same thing, play great games or do useful stuff on it, sony has the power to get decent applications for it along the same lines as apple do for the mac, only you cant play any decent games on the mac really. casual gamers that like to tinker outnumber the real OS hobbists by lot.

but if we only ever get 'ports' of linux compiled to run on it, then it will remain a hobbist thing, much like it already is. a machine for people who want to spend more time configuring the os, than actually useful software within it.

sure, linux has its uses on servers, but i dont expect many ps3 units being used for that.

i also think it's a shame that people who stick their heels in and blindly state that anyone who doesnt support the new amiga movement is an enemy of the community can quickly cast people who talk sense from the real world outside into exile.

in short, i dont think anybody except the few os4 fanboys in the world would want to see, or use amiga os4 on a ps3. but i bet most of the people who geniunely loved the amiga for how it was, would be intersted in a ps3 with sonyOS, that not only was useful, but easy and fun to use. i know i would be.

oh, and i see frustration from P-J not hate. it's like the person in the corner who actually has something sensible to say being told to shut up as people with bigger mouths who are too busy trying to convince people to blindly see it their way, instead of consider the reality.
Old 07 December 2006, 13:41   #33
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Amiga Os - out of date but more user friendly than Linux or Mac Os perfect for a console seems a shame to abadon it - few Os are any good
Old 07 December 2006, 14:22   #34
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Interceptor
I think i have only ever seen you post 4 times, so imma guessing you must of been moved to post here

For most of what you state, I whole heartedly agree, the only point i dissagree with is the handle you have on the argument with OS4 fanboys. I just feel its a little one sided if i may...

I could be wrong and I am happy to be corrected but from what i have read from matts posts (wich is all of them) allthough he states OS4 on the PS3 I have read it as any workable amiga OS like OS5 /6/7 or whatever not any one OS specific...

personally I doubt we will see OS4 launch in out lifetime. It would be nice if hyperon managed to find a deal with A-inc that would allow them both to profit from Amithalon!! (x86 workbench its very nice has/had a lot of potential!!!)

the irony is i can see both sides to P-J's and Matts argument and i agree with both of them. the frustration is evident in both posts, neither wanthing to give any ground to a view point, buit that is the blessed perview of Forums

If you could give me a DVD, and on that DVD is an easy to use, intuitive OS that can trasparently emulate AND run native applications in HighDef then i think whom ever could produce that cheaply and effectively could easly make money in the console market!!!!

think about those parents right now..... do i buy my kids a PS3 for £550 and watch thier brains vegetate or do i buy them a PC from DELL for under £400 and let them have some creativity (comes with 19"tft and printer btw)

from that viewpoint as much as consoles will see this crimbo, I think they would of sold a hell of a lot more had they the opportunity to sell an OS bundle with keyboard / mice for £40 (its cheaper than their games!!!!)

I supose that the moment they do, they would lose a lot of software licensing money as it will run on 3rd party OS.... hmmmm issues of contention...

imagine if you will

PS3: DEAD or Alive X - £49.95

DEAD or Alive X: PS3-3POS(3rd party OS) for £35.99

both the same game essentiall, run exactly the hardware, just one has an installer or system handover routine...

it could well be a back door to avoid extortinate license fees...

we know for a fact that prices dominate, so something like that brings prices down could well improve the profitability of that given console's distrubution...
hmmm hmmm hmmm hmm

Heres a question, two consoles from rival companies are evenly matched for specifaction and games availability..

console 1. sells its games for £55 but costs arround £300
console 2. sells its games for £35 but costs arround £500

which would you choose.

you have bought 12 games for each console over the course of the year (1 a month)

console 1 : games cost £660
console 2 : games cost £420

total cost of console 1 in the first year is £960
total cost of console 2 in the first year is £920

not much a difference there is it?

but the next year, take out the cost of the console and £240 is over 50% more money for the same thing than on console 2.

Last edited by Zetr0; 07 December 2006 at 14:33.
Old 07 December 2006, 14:36   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

interceptor's post is a good one. if $ony could do that it would be interesting. however, it begs the question that if such a concept was viable (as in there is a demand for it) surely Microsoft would have already created a 'WindowsXB' for the XBox/XBox360?
Old 07 December 2006, 16:27   #36
IFW

There is not much of an interest in having a Sony OS apart from Cell OS Lv2 for native games and the XMB which is a simple interface designed for people who are used to navigating an electronics device's UI.

On the other hand for homebrew/hobbyist and even professional use (renderfarms, imaging etc) there are multiple linux distros available and more will appear eventually.
You can even set the PS3 to boot straight into "Other OS" instead of XMB so you are really free to use it for whatever purpose you prefer.

There is nothing stopping other vendors to port their OS to PS3; You are free to contact Sony if you want to port AOS4 to PS3.
Old 07 December 2006, 19:14   #37
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo
Amiga Os - out of date but more user friendly than Linux or Mac Os perfect for a console seems a shame to abadon it - few Os are any good
I disagree. Mac OS is extremely user friendly. it's just that you are used to the ass backwards ways of windows that makes you think logical interface is not that user friendly.
Old 07 December 2006, 21:08   #38
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
I disagree. Mac OS is extremely user friendly. it's just that you are used to the ass backwards ways of windows that makes you think logical interface is not that user friendly.
I disagree with you! Although this might be my undoing. I think MacOS and Windows 2000/XP are equally user friendly. They just cater to two very different 'types' of user.
Old 08 December 2006, 00:32   #39
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

P-J... I read from yourposts that "AOS lags behind and it doesn't do what Windows can do" but... you never say WHAT windows can do.

I believe, the only thing Windows has outofthebox that AOS doesn't, is TCP-IP and a sort of web-browser.

And even OS3.9 has TCP/IP and a browser on the install CD.

So.... what THEN has Windows that AOS does NOT, out of the box?
Old 08 December 2006, 20:30   #40
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
Stick out tongue

hey guys, rather than being a nay sayer I say , go for it! I would sugest something other than OS4, becasue OS4 is ownd by the lame folks over at amiga inc, and they are too stupid to get anything right. Look at morphOS, that effort was interesting, they managed to make a NEW amiga OS without the baggage of "retards" like amiga inc. I think a small group of very taltented amiga hackers could start a NEW amiga centric OS, just like the morphOS folks did..... Maybe the folks over at AROS can help. I personaly would perfer a solid linux.