English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 30 July 2003, 23:48   #21
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I always thought that Dan Malone of the Bitmaps did the best graphics around. Not only gorgeous looking but just soooo stylish as well.
I remember when I first played Banshee recently through emulation and the graphics seem to have that same look.
Does anyone know if Malone was the artist on this game or has someone just copied his style?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.gif
Views:	528
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5491  
Old 01 August 2003, 08:41   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Agony is a beautiful game. An AGA port of it would have been fabulous as granted on occasions the pallette looks limited. But such a detailed look, wonderful parralax scrolling... amazing music one of the most lush games on the Amiga
I completely agree. I always thought this was a gorgeous and atmospheric game.
Old 01 August 2003, 11:46   #23
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I never meant to cause any offense towards Agony, I think the music is brilliant, the animation on that owl is superb, the gameplay is also amazing.

Must just be a personal taste thing here but I always had a weird view towards the enemy/background gfx. The looked a little plain to me that's all.

I think I just like the metallic look that a lot of the Team 17 games had. Must be what the 80's done to me.
Old 01 August 2003, 11:53   #24
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
[B]I always thought that Dan Malone of the Bitmaps did the best graphics around. Not only gorgeous looking but just soooo stylish as well.
B]
Indeed, Daniel Malone is a sublime artist. He was the artistic brains behind my favourite 8 bit game. Id love to interview this guy or at least find out who he works for these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_sacred_armour_of_antiriad.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	5498  
Old 01 August 2003, 11:56   #25
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

So Dan Malone did the gfx for Sacred Armour of Antiriad? I must check out this game.
It also seems that maybe he and the Bitmaps had a falling out as he has no mention on their website at all!
Old 01 August 2003, 17:32   #26
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla

I think I just like the metallic look that a lot of the Team 17 games had. Must be what the 80's done to me.
Actually, that's something I would say was a critique I'd make of the Bitmap Bros. games, whilst they're games were generally quite good,(or great in the case of Speedball 2),they almost always had that metallic style-Team 17's games IMO at least had generally different styles,excepting sequels of course!
Old 02 August 2003, 00:32   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Ive heard this comment made about the Bitmaps games before but I cant really see it. Maybe Im biased
The thing I generally dont like about Team 17 gfx is that they have no character or style, they just look bland. Alien Breed looks good I agree but look at the sprites for the main characters and the aliens, I think they look quite poor. Assasin's main character looks crap and Body Blows has some hideously drawn fighters.
Old 02 August 2003, 00:35   #28
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
anyone know any dc++ hub that have Project X-2 ? cant find it ! thank you.
Old 02 August 2003, 04:22   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

It was....

Quote:
I always thought that Dan Malone of the Bitmaps did the best graphics around. Not only gorgeous looking but just soooo stylish as well.
I remember when I first played Banshee recently through emulation and the graphics seem to have that same look.
Does anyone know if Malone was the artist on this game or has someone just copied his style?

Banshee was done by:

Facet of Anarchy did the Graphics

Hannibal of Anarchy did the coding

Nuke of Anarchy did the music
Old 02 August 2003, 04:37   #30
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Question

So Facet's real name is Jacob Andersen then, Galahad?
Old 04 August 2003, 14:54   #31
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Ive heard this comment made about the Bitmaps games before but I cant really see it. Maybe Im biased
The thing I generally dont like about Team 17 gfx is that they have no character or style, they just look bland. Alien Breed looks good I agree but look at the sprites for the main characters and the aliens, I think they look quite poor. Assasin's main character looks crap and Body Blows has some hideously drawn fighters.
Character or style, have you ever played Superfrog Dastardly? (In-game sprites had good character,& variety. Magic Pockets doesn't fare well in comparison,IMHO. I again add I don't hate all bitmap's games, just a friendly debate! )
Old 04 August 2003, 15:43   #32
Marcuz

i think Team 17 was good in cartoons's style stuff, but the cheaper side of it, like fast sketched things to be used in a context so to make the whole thing to work. you just have not to look for finesse.
they were lacking in visual design, in the most large sense, while they were really good in game basics.
Others designer, like Bitmap Brothers, Morbid Visions or Mark Jones, the guy behind Darkmere' graphic (he has a cool site around and has worked also on morrowind, but i've lost the link), these guys may have had some not good game in their career but had a more solid and complete approach to graphic, and these are just the firsts that come to mind now.
Not one Team17 game i recall that has really style in graphic or a coherent one, nevertheless i really like most of them!
Lo! one of the characteristic that i prize is the coherence in the style and it has to be a clear, straight, direct and personal one, either is of my taste or not. solid! gfx by team 17 were clear but bare.
Obviously a personal valutation.

Last edited by Marcuz; 04 August 2003 at 15:50.
Old 04 August 2003, 18:56   #33
Amiga1992

I agree here, the Team were not that good at gfx. Superfrog's character may have been fine (I think it was just OK), but the whole visual feel of the game is emptiness. I think they did not get it quite right.
Old 04 August 2003, 19:42   #34
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I agree here, the Team were not that good at gfx. Superfrog's character may have been fine (I think it was just OK), but the whole visual feel of the game is emptiness. I think they did not get it quite right.
Maybe in-game stuff, but....

Rico Holmes goddammit!!!
Old 04 August 2003, 20:28   #35
Marcuz

Quote:
Maybe in-game stuff, but....

Rico Holmes goddammit!!!
It's a good professional for sure but for my taste all of his work look cold, the 3d-modeled paintings (really nice, do not mistake me) and the designer' rough. do people study the work of classic painters? either yes or not, both are legitimate answers as far as they are not arbitrary, i like to see more frankness and mean.
All of this is the cross of most of graphic in advertising, modern design etc.
beside i really like the pictures!

By the way with this last post i'm NOT saying that other graphics and designer are better in this way: in the other post i was, here the discussion is different
Old 05 August 2003, 19:55   #36
Amiga1992

Here's a link to a review of Last Ninja 4:

http://utenti.lycos.it/crosssfire/sc...ninja/TLN1.jpg

http://utenti.lycos.it/crosssfire/sc...ninja/TLN2.jpg
Old 05 August 2003, 20:25   #37
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Here's a link to a review of Last Ninja 4:
I'm afraid that that is a retro review of the first Last Ninja game.

There was a fourth release of a Last Ninja game called Ninja Remix. However, it was just the first Last Ninja with different music.
Old 05 August 2003, 20:28   #38
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Last Ninja 4 info...

http://lastninja.lemon64.com/ln4_screenshots.htm
Old 06 August 2003, 00:40   #39
Amiga1992

I'm sorry, I posted the wrong info! I was supposed to delete the message but I forgot :P
Old 07 August 2003, 15:24   #40
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Character or style, have you ever played Superfrog Dastardly? (In-game sprites had good character,& variety. Magic Pockets doesn't fare well in comparison,IMHO. I again add I don't hate all bitmap's games, just a friendly debate! )
I have played Superfrog and admittedly it looks nice and colourful and moves beautifully but I still think it lacks style and tends to just look bland. Colourful yes, but still bland IMO.

Fair enough you think Magic Pockets doesnt look as good but I have to disagree. I think Mark Coleman is a very close second to Dan Malone with work like the sublime looking Gods.