English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2023, 14:50   #21
Howardphilips

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
The reason we do it, for fun and learning. Simple really!
And a big thank you from my end too, as it is thanks to people like you and Earok (and many others) that the Amiga still raises so much interest in 2023!
Old 02 August 2023, 15:05   #22
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
After doing some Amiga conversions (which added nothing new) I started a game called "Random Islands". It was based on "Rainbow Islands" but with randomized levels/gameplay. It ran in 50fps and looked quite like the Arcade version.. it would have been a good example of a semi arcade port with a new twist..
this sounds lovely !
Old 02 August 2023, 15:28   #23
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
this sounds lovely !

Thanks. In fact even the music is already done:
http://abyss-online.de/eab/randomislands.mp3

I tried to keep an FM feel in the music. Currently 6kb for 4 songs in PreTracker.

Last edited by pink^abyss; 02 August 2023 at 15:35.
Old 02 August 2023, 15:32   #24
acidbottle

That does sound awesome, never managed to get past the end of world 3 on both Amiga and arcade. Be a fun way to see some later levels for sure!
Old 02 August 2023, 15:32   #25
Bren McGuire

why past tense? what happened? we want this game
Quote:
After doing some Amiga conversions (which added nothing new) I started a game called "Random Islands". It was based on "Rainbow Islands" but with randomized levels/gameplay. It ran in 50fps and looked quite like the Arcade version.. it would have been a good example of a semi arcade port with a new twist..
Old 02 August 2023, 23:42   #26
CCCP alert

It's a pride thing, we all know in the right hands many of these games could have been done to console quality and we would like to see our favourite arcades done with a chipset maximising development even today. 2/3 of my fav' shmups have never been converted at all and none of the driving games I liked are worth mentioning to be honest.

Those who don't care are probably not on forums, facebook groups, youtube groups etc.
Old 03 August 2023, 23:02   #27
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
I think there was an arcade ROM of Rainbow islands that had different baddies on different levels and was a lot harder then the original, also the original wasn't 100% as it didn't contain the 3 extra islands.

What were the game specs? Was it still 512K RAM?
Old 04 August 2023, 09:03   #28
petran

one advantage is the crt monitor of Amiga systems. Much better results than even the best shaders
Old 08 August 2023, 14:28   #29
Howardphilips

Wink

Quote:
Thanks. In fact even the music is already done:
http://abyss-online.de/eab/randomislands.mp3

I tried to keep an FM feel in the music. Currently 6kb for 4 songs in PreTracker.
Could we have a way to test it? You kept the "over the rainbow" version of the song, which is great already.
Would this game be fully random or random within boundaries? I would really be curious to see that in action, as I love Rainbow Islands.
Old 08 August 2023, 15:08   #30
jotd
This cat is no more

I'm sorry to say that Karate Champ ECS amiga is on its way, 100% accurate to the original, no copper bars, no enhanced graphics (but I'm considering creating an alternate version with changed sounds)
Old 08 August 2023, 15:11   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I'm sorry to say that Karate Champ ECS amiga is on its way, 100% accurate to the original, no copper bars, no enhanced graphics (but I'm considering creating an alternate version with changed sounds)
That's most of the time the point (music, sound) that it makes the most sense to have an option for an alternative.
Old 08 August 2023, 15:14   #32
jotd
This cat is no more

The game has primitive speech synthesis, I'm contemplating re-doing the voices myself & changing the sound that the blows do, for a good laugh
Old 08 August 2023, 15:23   #33
Howardphilips

Quote:
That would at least be a great way to make this game known to the Amiga community, as I am not sure many of us played this one BITD (and having improved speech & SFX would not hurt, wink wink)
Old 08 August 2023, 15:29   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
The game has primitive speech synthesis, I'm contemplating re-doing the voices myself & changing the sound that the blows do, for a good laugh
Next up: Helium mode
Old 08 August 2023, 15:30   #35
Howardphilips

Thanks all for the replies. It looks like the main answer to my initial question seems to be that playing this on the Miggie is a cool thing per se. Some say in addition that the look of these games on their trusty CRTs is way better than on the LCD of a PC running an emulated version and I get that too (although some shaders made me reconsider that, recently).
I feel too that this exercise of getting arcade games that were not converted (or poorly converted like Tiertex did) has the sweet taste of revenge.
Old 08 August 2023, 15:51   #36
Interceptor

From my own point of view, as a player, would be that each arcade port onto a home system is a different game in itself, a new take/view.

In the case of something like outrun, final fight etc. i'd be interested to see and play what the best amiga version could be, and appreciate the differences between that and the arcade game. particularly OCS/ECS, knowing that it would be a difference game really.

I can't see i'd ever bother to *play* an arcade perfect amiga port in the current times. no disrespect intended to people making these, they are awesome pieces of work, i love reading about them and watching their progress.
Old 08 August 2023, 16:18   #37
jotd
This cat is no more

you're right there's no point playing a 1:1 version on WinUAE. It becomes interesting on a real machine.

There is definitely some revenge about that, also I know that a lot of people (including me) play on real hardware when they can.

My games tend to try to approach 1:1 in terms of play and aspect. There are often interesting options like skip some sequences, level select, ... that aren't available in MAME, plus subtle easter eggs, but that's it.

BTW I recently visited the Berlin computer museum which allows to play original versions of a lot of arcade games (list on request ) + consoles & computers. Everything unemulated with original cabinets & CRTs. Awesome to play on real hardware with real controllers and all.
Old 08 August 2023, 16:36   #38
pixie

I think it makes sense in a way, because we've had some atrocious ports in the past—usually ported for the ST first and then the Amiga afterwards. It would be nice, if possible, to see what the real potential of the Amiga could have been.
Old 08 August 2023, 21:34   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I think it makes sense in a way, because we've had some atrocious ports in the past—usually ported for the ST first and then the Amiga afterwards. It would be nice, if possible, to see what the real potential of the Amiga could have been.
You say that as if there are no existing games which do that. Several, they're just not arcade originals.
Old 08 August 2023, 22:19   #40
petran

An alternate would be to try the outdated mame and Finalburn ports on Amiga or MorphOS but that would eliminate the purpose