English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2022, 13:08   #21
nikosidis

Since I been working close with acidbottle, beta-testing, this release have a special place in my heart.
I been a fan of the game since I played it in the arcades when I was young. After that I picked it up from time to time using MAME. The problem is that a game like this should really be played on a CRT in low resolution running at 50Hz. When acidbottle announced the port I was kind of fast to volunteer as a beta-tester. What a great job he done creating all the levels and tweaking the game like crazy. For sure a big thank to the amazing Eric and Scorpion Engine else this would never happen.

I made a video for you today. You can see the game running on real hardware on my all time favorite computer

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 November 2022, 13:13   #22
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbylu View Post
Gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]

Great channel! I watch it all the time!

One thing i think would make it better would be if you could state what amiga set up you are testing the games on!
Old 16 November 2022, 14:47   #23
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
downloaded.
cool job.
i will try to do WHDLoad's patch tommorow
WHDL patch installs and loads game successfully. Played first stage to end of life successfully. Quitkey didn't work and hdd light stuck on after choosing not to continue game.
Reboot. Start new game, Quit immediately, works.

A1200 ACA 1231/42 OS 3.9 CF hdd.
Old 16 November 2022, 14:57   #24
nikosidis

One thing I have to mention that is wrong from the info. The game do not require 2MB of chip.
1MB of chip and 1MB slow or any other RAM will do. CPU speed should be @14MHz to run the game perfect. Tested on my 68000@14MHz with 1MB chip and 1MB slow. Absolutly perfect config to run the game at full speed
Old 16 November 2022, 15:25   #25
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Congratulations !!!!
Old 16 November 2022, 16:20   #26
DanyPPC

WHDLoad installer works great on Apollo V4 too.

Good job !
Old 16 November 2022, 16:55   #27
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
WHDLoad installer works great on Apollo V4 too.

Good job !
badly i'am not found quick solution to use unpacked data (to increase time between each death!)
Old 16 November 2022, 17:55   #28
nikosidis

Will the whd-load version save HiScore?
Old 16 November 2022, 18:25   #29
skyzoo73

I tried it today on my Amiga1200, and I have to say it's very similar to the arcade. Congratulations for the nice work!

that said I hope it is not the final version,
and is further refined.
I think there are some things to fix.
I'll drop a few:

1) Character movement is completely different than it should be, you shouldn't have to move in mid-air that much.

2) it should be possible to select either the joystick 1 button or 2 buttons (or +). In order to avoid that you can jump both with the key and with UP. (either one or the other)

3) the egg that contains the weapon, on impact with the player, shouldn't fly away so much, even when banging at full speed the egg should jump and break, certainly not making such an exaggerated shift.

4) the fairy's egg must do the same as that of the weapon, it must jump away and break to get it out (then everything stops, the fairy flies around in a circle and the effect begins)
Old 16 November 2022, 19:04   #30
acidbottle

Thanks for everyone's feedback today, it is greatly appreciated, good or bad!

@CFou!, great work on the WHD patch, runs like a charm on whatever weird Amikit setup am using on PC and 1200 with TF1260 upstairs

@niko, absolutely spot on with the memory requirement, guess thats a plus in my book! Great video to.

@skyzoo73, there are many things that can, a few will certainly be refined in an update. The jump mechanic on Wonderboy is something I actually do not like, though appreciate a very good Wboy player will use to their advantage. I find it adds much frustration, especially to a new gamer so took the liberty of toning it down. The other reason is the physics of Scorpion do not really allow for such a finely tuned system, as yet. Have some ideas how it could be implemented like that but will think a bit more on it.

The egg was an utter nightmare, in fact earok helped out with the getting a nice arc in the end and it is a decent compromise. Might be able to adjust 1 or 2 things but the complexity was of the egg logic, plus all the egg combinations is mind boggling haha!

Talking of which, the fairy was another point! In the arcade the fairy would swoop around you in some odd wavy pattern, not quite circular either! In all honesty, to keep the flow of the game, I removed it, though the egg should still fly through the air, you are absolutely right.

Fair play on the controller options, not had issue with the current setup but can add that to the list of things to refine.

Also noticed, when having a quick go earlier that the ESC bonus logic breaks after all lives are lost and you continue. Have absolutely no idea why, was 100% certain it was working recently and does work again if you return to menu. Will fix this for sure in an update.
Old 16 November 2022, 19:25   #31
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@skyzoo73
At the end is pretty good how it came out; things could be even worse, or do i have to remind you Thunderboy? o_O
Old 16 November 2022, 19:50   #32
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Great port, plays and looks very authentic. Though the scrolling is indeed a little choppy.

@CFOu!

Could you please check the joypad routine? The game works fine with my Honeybee CD32 controller, action and jump button. But with two different CD32 to Megadrive adapters the game character auto jumps permanently. This shouldn't happen. Thanks!

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 16 November 2022 at 20:24.
Old 16 November 2022, 20:51   #33
vulture

That's a great conversion! Thx a lot for your work m8!
Old 16 November 2022, 22:36   #34
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Will the whd-load version save HiScore?
I haven't had time to test the game yet. but if it's used DOS.library, it's yes

i hope try it this week-end

@acidbottle
I love Wonderboy thank a lot for your work!

Last edited by CFou!; 16 November 2022 at 22:41.
Old 16 November 2022, 22:44   #35
CFou!

@AcidBottle
<<Please note this will currently run best on any Amiga with 2mb chip & fast ram, along with a faster cpu, such as an 020 or above.>>
should we understand that a 68020 is recommended for a speed problem or that the game will not work correctly on 68000 & 60010 (68020 instructions used?)?
Old 16 November 2022, 22:49   #36
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
@AcidBottle
<<Please note this will currently run best on any Amiga with 2mb chip & fast ram, along with a faster cpu, such as an 020 or above.>>
should we understand that a 68020 is recommended for a speed problem or that the game will not work correctly on 68000 & 60010 (68020 instructions used?)?

I'm the beta-tester for this game.

acidbottle, is no Amiga hardware expert.
I can confirm that the game run perfect on 68000@14MHz and 100% correct at full speed without any slowdowns. I tested that config. a lot together with A1200 030@50 and A4000 030@25.
Just like Pascal, I have done the chip mod. on a Rev. 6, Amiga 500 so I have 1MB of chip and the great, open source, CPU accelerator from Mathesar that is a 68000@14MHz.
https://github.com/Mathesar/14mhz-accelerator

The game only require 1MB chip but need 1MB any other Memory like slow, fast or chip.

I have not tested the game on standard A600 or A500+ with 2MB RAM but I see no reason that would not work but there will be slowdowns.

Last edited by nikosidis; 16 November 2022 at 23:07.
Old 16 November 2022, 23:08   #37
skyzoo73

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post

@skyzoo73, there are many things that can, a few will certainly be refined in an update. The jump mechanic on Wonderboy is something I actually do not like, though appreciate a very good Wboy player will use to their advantage. I find it adds much frustration, especially to a new gamer so took the liberty of toning it down. The other reason is the physics of Scorpion do not really allow for such a finely tuned system, as yet. Have some ideas how it could be implemented like that but will think a bit more on it.

The egg was an utter nightmare, in fact earok helped out with the getting a nice arc in the end and it is a decent compromise. Might be able to adjust 1 or 2 things but the complexity was of the egg logic, plus all the egg combinations is mind boggling haha!

Talking of which, the fairy was another point! In the arcade the fairy would swoop around you in some odd wavy pattern, not quite circular either! In all honesty, to keep the flow of the game, I removed it, though the egg should still fly through the air, you are absolutely right.

Fair play on the controller options, not had issue with the current setup but can add that to the list of things to refine.

Also noticed, when having a quick go earlier that the ESC bonus logic breaks after all lives are lost and you continue. Have absolutely no idea why, was 100% certain it was working recently and does work again if you return to menu. Will fix this for sure in an update.

Duplicating a movement using the SE is complicated, and believe me when I tell you that I understand the difficulty.
Me too in my small way, I'm trying to recreate a game, and with my very limited skills I haven't been able to master it as far as I would like.
Despite this I don't give up, and being a retrogramer by birth, and a Commodore fan by vocation
I keep banging my head against it... who knows maybe one day I'll get something playable out of it...
Old 16 November 2022, 23:23   #38
acidbottle

@CFou! Niko is right again, the 68020 is not a necessity to run the game, just you need 14MHz for acceptable speed. The CPU accelerators that are 68000 clocked to 14Mhz will be fine to
Old 17 November 2022, 00:06   #39
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
@CFou! Niko is right again, the 68020 is not a necessity to run the game, just you need 14MHz for acceptable speed. The CPU accelerators that are 68000 clocked to 14Mhz will be fine to
ok i will remove 60020+ restriction in next upade
Old 17 November 2022, 12:02   #40
Silverstreak

Congrats on finishing the game!