English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 23 September 2009, 17:38   #21
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Some time ago a guy made a pc inside an A1000 case.

A good idea he made was glueing the regular 5.25" DVD unit fascia to the frontal memory cover and hook the buttons under the same fascia (google for the modification!*). More easy seeyng the pictures than me explaining what he did.

[EDIT] here is the hack!
Old 23 September 2009, 18:15   #22
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Yes I saw that one recently and it was a great 1000 hack - cool.

[Edit: Todays pics uploaded to link on my sig.]

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 23 September 2009 at 18:28.
Old 23 September 2009, 18:28   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Rkauer

Thats one crazy hack, nice detail, but could of been realised better with an SFF ROM, and Pico PSU, that PSU hook-up so close to vibrating Optical drive is asking for trouble... what I dont understand iswhy he didn't use the shorter formfactor ROM's ?

could of also stuck in a PCI angle riser and a CatWeasle =D

@adrian

I will say that its really worth getting off that IDE chain for booting sir, that GVP may not be the best card for an 030, but at the end of the day its one of the better SCSI controllers =)

remember thats about 7MB per sec without CPU load, and the latter make a HUGE difference!!! =)

also there is a cheap £25 method of SD/FF'ing your Amiga Video Out using a CRT/TFT tuner box and about 3-5 quids worth of electrical components to boost the SVideo Y/C to use with the device.... its really cool, rock steady pics on VGA, also to have VGA through / Picture in Picture / RCA in / 100 chan RF in could be well worth the effort =D

It all depends on how low you want to go with your build..

what every you do, good luck =)
Old 23 September 2009, 18:37   #24
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

@Zetr0

The scsi option would be easy enough to do inside the box when it's done so I may do that later perhaps tho as I said earlier all I'm looking for performance wise really is the classic Amiga for my old OCS/ECS/AGA stuff really. My entire Amiga HD is emulated on PC so you could ask why I even want to do this?... well at least it should look pretty cool I hope
Old 23 September 2009, 19:33   #25
rkauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cummings View Post
Yes I saw that one recently and it was a great 1000 hack - cool.
I was talking just about using the frontal expansion panel as a replacement for the original CD/DVD (look for the shortest possible unit, of course).

Old 24 September 2009, 08:16   #26
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

That's really cool!... but I'm not really wanting the cd drive in reality myself as I'm not going to use it much if at all. I do have right side (now switchable on/off) scsi port for external devices if needed tho. Plus my power/hdd leds are going in the center front plane when finished.

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 24 September 2009 at 11:08.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:42   #27
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Nearly all components arrived and the Amiga computer transmogrification continues muhahahaaaaaaa cough splutter [gets mad professor coat]
Old 26 September 2009, 11:06   #28
Photon

Quote:
That's really cool!... but I'm not really wanting the cd drive in reality myself as I'm not going to use it much if at all. I do have right side (now switchable on/off) scsi port for external devices if needed tho. Plus my power/hdd leds are going in the center front plane when finished.
Yeah, I've always wondered about all those Amigas with CDs/DVDs in them. Do they ever get used, and for what?

Maybe it's that OS. It comes on CD, so you need a CD drive to install the Amiga. Then you can remove the drive, cos you won't need it ever again?
Old 26 September 2009, 11:47   #29
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

No offence to anybody (there are many more talented Amiga users here than myself) but I was in with the Amiga from the very start like some here, and found that by the time we had reached the Amiga 1200 with CD and also CD32 stage, Amiga was just starting to die in the mainstream back then. For me this mod is about all the good things 1200/AGA brought to the classic Amiga from 1985 up to that period and no more.

Personally I'm not interested in cpu speed, ram size (other than say 4Mb) and such like (i've got a kick ass PC rig for that LOL), more I am interested in having all the functions my A1200 had but in my A1000 case for the memories alone which without doubt was one of the best case designs ever.

I am probably going to add and external scsi box later and stick a scsi HD and scsi CD/DVD rom in tho... just not in the case.

My old GVP board is still missing an fpu and crystal and my kick roms are still 3.0 - none of that is going to really bother me later when the project is finished tho. I can easily add these things later if needed.

I'm trying to make everything modular too so if something blows in years ahead then I can insert a new replacement part easily... nothing very much will be sealed or glued when it's done and it takes time to do this, the A1000 mod justice, and also do it right

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 02 October 2009 at 09:46.
Old 26 September 2009, 11:52   #30
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yeah, I've always wondered about all those Amigas with CDs/DVDs in them. Do they ever get used, and for what?
I use my CD rewriter to transfer files between Amiga and peecee and to make easy backups of important files without having to put the HD into my peecee. When I bought the rewriter in 2005 at the local peecee shoppe, I didn't have a peecee yet, and I also used the rewriter to make full system backups. So yes, they do get used, or at least in my case it does
Old 26 September 2009, 12:12   #31
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I use my CD rewriter to transfer files between Amiga and peecee and to make easy backups of important files without having to put the HD into my peecee. When I bought the rewriter in 2005 at the local peecee shoppe, I didn't have a peecee yet, and I also used the rewriter to make full system backups. So yes, they do get used, or at least in my case it does
That's very understandable, but then I use the Amiga pcmcia network card for that sort of 'bulk data/transfer dump' type thing and indeed how I emulated my Amiga 1200 hardfile to save it from near death years ago.
Old 26 September 2009, 18:45   #32
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

For the record...

Amiga 1000 keyboard hardwired into AT 5Pin DIN to PC-Key 1200 (does not work, though I thought it might? - oh well).

My old Silicon Graphics (SGI) AT keyboard PS2 into 5Pin DIN adapter to PC-Key 1200 (does work but without reset of course - which is now wired to a momentary toggle switch on my facia plate).

More pics tonight - My case is now very white
Old 26 September 2009, 19:27   #33
rkauer

Why the A1000 keyboard don't work?

Simple: it don't need any interface! Just solder some wires to the A1200 keyboard MPU to the RJ11 socket (+5V, ground, data and clock). +5V & GND can be taken from any place you want.
Old 26 September 2009, 21:16   #34
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

I know I did RJ11 wire to AT 5PIN DIN so I could use it with A1200 PC Key interface but no go?... Some keyboards dont appear to work with it.

Nevermind I will use an A4000 keyboard instead for my mod
Old 26 September 2009, 21:18   #35
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Ah I see what your saying... Bypass the interface and wire the keyboard direct?
Old 28 September 2009, 00:23   #36
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Hi Adrian - hope the project is going well... If you need some spares... Click here - OK... I'm just trying to be funny...
Old 28 September 2009, 04:08   #37
Jope
-

Quote:
Ah I see what your saying... Bypass the interface and wire the keyboard direct?
Indeed. You can't connect an Amiga keyboard to a PC -> A1200 interface..
Old 28 September 2009, 09:23   #38
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Hang on now I'm really confused

SGI AT keyboard to PS2/DIN adapter to PC Key Interface works.

A4000 (ps2) keyboard to PS2/DIN adapter to PC Key Interface (should work also - not tried it just yet?)

A1000 wired to as AT format to DIN adapter to PC Key Inerface (does not work).

A1000 or any other AT Keyboard wired direct to A1200 MPU on mobo (is supposed to work but I'm not trying it myself LOL).

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 28 September 2009 at 14:03.
Old 28 September 2009, 09:25   #39
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Work on the mod has stopped for the time being or much slower as my PC developed a major motherboard fault on Sunday and now I have 2 machines in bits all over the table - not good!

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 02 October 2009 at 09:49.
Old 28 September 2009, 09:26   #40
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hi Adrian - hope the project is going well... If you need some spares... Click here - OK... I'm just trying to be funny...
Cheers but all is good with the mod so far LOL

Last edited by AmigaDweeb; 28 September 2009 at 18:39.