English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 January 2007, 22:38   #21
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyria
No, I haven't used the new version for playing many games. I'm sure there are some compatibility improvements but it is important to be careful not to introduce bugs in parts of the emulator that were working fine.

I don't see the point in buying a new PC, there is nothing wrong with mine. All the other software I run on it works perfectly. Are you suggesting that there is a problem with my hardware? I don't see how you reached that conclusion. It's annoying that you are not making any effort to investigate the problem, when other people in this thread have reported very similar problems...obviously it's not just my machine.
Sometimes a hard drive can just have problems. Believe me, it's happened to me no matter how hard I've tried to fix it through software. Maybe a clean sweep is needed? WinUAE used to be buggy on my hard drive before I reformatted and now it works perfectly fine.
Old 03 January 2007, 22:42   #22
Alyria

If there was a problem with the hard disk I'd be seeing BSODs everywhere. And if WinUAE is trying to read a file and getting errors, those errors should be handled, that's why we have return codes. A lot of Windows programmers don't seem to check the return codes of OS functions.

Old 03 January 2007, 22:54   #23
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Sry man, just throwing it out there as a suggestion. tbh I wouldn't know much about Windows programming shortcomings as I don't know a thing about programming.
Old 03 January 2007, 22:57   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
and if you ask her everything would be dumb in the garbagecan but then she would go the same way
A man with clear priorities.
Old 04 January 2007, 00:07   #25
Grimbog

Hmm. Well I personally think that WinUAE has come a long way since 1998, when I first used it (Brian King era). So rather than subjecting the developers to copious amounts of sarcasm it might actually help to be a little bit more constructive/supportive.

Yes, there will be bugs, but to be honest I think that the latest versions have solved a load of other major issues that dogged previous incarnations.

For my own gaming sake, these recent WinUAE releases have proven to be flawless in terms of smoothness, realism and playability of the Amiga system. The only problem I've encountered turned out to be related to a bottleneck I had on a fairly old system (easily fixed once I updated the drivers), which was identified thanks to the helpful support from this forum.
Old 04 January 2007, 00:23   #26
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
A man with clear priorities.
ROTFL....

Easier said than done tho...
Old 04 January 2007, 00:38   #27
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
If there was a problem with the hard disk I'd be seeing BSODs everywhere. And if WinUAE is trying to read a file and getting errors, those errors should be handled, that's why we have return codes. A lot of Windows programmers don't seem to check the return codes of OS functions.
Look, smell the coffee here...

If you want perfection then buy an Amiga A1200 and have the hassles of disks and the inability to save states, rip modules easily etc etc ie all the things that WinUAE gives you in one bootable package.

You will find NO emulator gives EXACT performance when they start getting into the 8bit era because :-

1. No one knows the exact way to do it 100% PERFECTLY in the language used. Taking into account that the emu has to work on a pretty broad range of machines in reality.

2. The machine host isn't able to perform the exact functions unless the machine is HYPER evolved.

So yes I expect at some point there might be a few unhandled errors but not so many that would pass the hard core of gamer / testers on here. So I have to say that some errors you can expect are problems on the host machine via driver, hardware limitation or OS problems.

It's far too easy to blame the program in my opinion, if you want perfection get the real machine, if you want amazing and FREE emulation then get WinUAE and take whatever that does not work along with the fact its FREE and constantly evolving.

Taking pot shots at the author / developer won't help matters in any event.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:08   #28
Christian
Zone Friend

I can't believe this thread....

Moan - New versions of WinUae are crap cause they lock up ... but I'm not going to submit a bug report or tell you what circumstances trigger it..

As was mentioned, there was a beta testing thread

Toni is a talented guy but not a mind reader...
Old 04 January 2007, 12:20   #29
BippyM
Global Moderator

More constructive criticism and bug reports are needed!

Bitching that Toni isn't doing this or fixing that is just so damn pointless!

Toni does this in HIS FREE TIME FOR NO FINANCIAL GAIN so the least you can do is be more supportive and make proper bug reports (This goes for stingray too!)

Constant bitching like this will just make Toni think "why the fuck should I bother" and he'll stop development.. where would we be then?
Old 05 January 2007, 00:02   #30
fmcpma
Banned

Hey Toni!

Just want to say thanks a lot again for your incredible time and effort with WinUAE! It has never been so frequently updated as now and always with great features. Thanks a LOT!

Don't you mind the moaners. You should basically ignore them. They're not trying to discuss anything, just taking their frustrations out on someone they know they won't have to physically face. Maybe they are even nice people when met in person!

And I'm sure that soon enough you will get around to any bugs that may have crept lately into the non-games side of WinUAE ;o)
Old 05 January 2007, 06:20   #31
trackah123
Amiga User

Yeah i'm thanking him to very much.. because of winuae i have all my interest back in amiga.. mostly gaming and demos..

and im going to donate him so money for his hard work.. (hopefully not to much hassle with my bank transfer program) .. without this.. i was probably still stuck to winfellow (not that its bad but winfellow is less then what winuae has to offer maybe less incompatible as well)..

also because of winuae.. i recently bought my amiga 500 back from my neighbour.. cleaned it out and it still works.. now this month im going to buy a amiga 1200 from a dutch amiga forum who still has it from www.amiga.nl forum and gonna buy some stuff from amigakit.com (already ordered the easy adf package)

also i recorded my amiga floppy drive sound (yes an original amiga 500 drive sound) and sent it to toni wilen and imho it sounds like 70 - 80% like my real amiga 500 drivesound.

keep up the good work toni and let us not forget the amiga computers ever
Old 05 January 2007, 09:40   #32
P-J

Quote:
After about half an hour of using WinUAE 1.3.4 it hangs the entire system, necessitating a reboot of the IBM-PC.
Sorry mate, but Toni is right. If WinUAE can completely lock your machine it's a piece of shit and you should learn to fix it.

Also, don't speak about things you don't understand.If you really knew how far Toni has brought this emulator forward (compared to say, Brian King) you wouldn't come in here all heavy handed and moan about a piece of software coded by a guy significantly more talented than you.

Oh, isn't he? Why don't you do it then? Or shut up.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:33   #33
Alyria

Sorry for the grave crime making a bug report.

It's not my fault if there are bugs in it, I didn't write the damn thing. It's clearly Toni's fault if there are bugs. I don't see why I must fix his bugs, I'm not the programmer of it am I?

If he doesn't want to act on bug reports that will result in a more buggy emulator.

Old 05 January 2007, 11:07   #34
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

When did you do a bug report? What help have you given apart from "After about half an hour of using WinUAE 1.3.4 it hangs the entire system, necessitating a reboot of the IBM-PC." followed by an immediate moan about WinUAE getting worse and Toni not caring?
Old 05 January 2007, 11:19   #35
Marcuz

Quote:
Sorry for the grave crime making a bug report.

It's not my fault if there are bugs in it, I didn't write the damn thing. It's clearly Toni's fault if there are bugs. I don't see why I must fix his bugs, I'm not the programmer of it am I?

If he doesn't want to act on bug reports that will result in a more buggy emulator.
Alyria, with all respect, that's bull: a bug report is something more articulated than "i don't like new versions because they are worse than the ones before".
please, check here if you want to help to improve Winuae:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26715
and if you don't want to help, or you don't care, please avoid silly comments at all.

as to repeat it:
Quote:
Allowed posts in beta thread (not yet posted):

- bug reports but make sure bug is NOT in previous offical version. (Old bug -> separate thread)
- comments and suggestion about new features in betas or changed feature in beta. (missing feature or old feature which has not been changed in latest beta series -> separate thread)

Everything else will be deleted, no questions asked. (includes offtopic posts, discussion about pros and cons of public beta testing etc..)

Misc notes:

- remember to include PC specs + Windows version.
- graphics error -> include screenshot.
- disk based program -> include CRC32 (mouse over disk history arrow down button will show CRC32) of the image(s) (or SPS ID or full tosec name if from latest set). Plain name of the game is NOT generally enough! (usually there are different cracks, trainers etc..)
- always include name of the program. "Everything" or "most games" fail is not a bug report!
- always use quickstart settings. Non-QS setting reports will be ignored. Exception: programs that require "high-end" configuration.
- always check logs (both winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt, don't forget to enable logging in misc-panel) for possible error or warning messages.
- more will be added later..
Old 05 January 2007, 11:25   #36
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
There are instances when winuae does crash, it will take out the entire system (even when guru on amiga emu side !!) Although it is rare.

Usualy my own doing though, like changing cycle exact on/off while emu is running, instant guru or black screen freeze. keyboard doesnt respond, so no reset, task manager, alt tab, alt f4 and only choice is reset. in fact this was happening with beta 8 when the emu hung durring sound initialisation. due to being in fullscreenmode i had no way to get back to the desktop. wasnt much of an issue in window mode.

winuae is far from perfect, but i wouldnt be without it
Old 05 January 2007, 11:33   #37
Paul
RIP Friends

Alyria is now banned as he has same ip as Fortrax aka Minious
Old 05 January 2007, 11:35   #38
Marcuz

cycle exact on and off i can confirm. i have not tryed all the betas, but definitely it wasn't there in the last stable version. but then again, is this a bug?
there are changes of settings that you make "on the run" that don't seem to affect the emulation at all, like changing JIT, maybe the collision level? and you need to reset the amiga to make them work, maybe the cycle exact switch should force a reset? probably due to one of these freezing you report, caused by changing the switch position from cycle exact to immediate blitter, i caused some validation damage to a HDF, that got fixed simply using re-org on it. apart from that i had no one single problem with the new winuae version, and rest assured my PC is old and far from perfect.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:35   #39
trackah123
Amiga User

pretty funny with winuae is like when playing a game and change memory or cpu on the fly lol .. and it goes crazy :P .. its like replacing a cpu on a real amiga while playing a game lol .. anyway i dont have any problems with winuae so far.. i play alot of games.. works fine.. except when i mess around with some settings while the emulator is running
Old 05 January 2007, 14:42   #40
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
There are instances when winuae does crash, it will take out the entire system (even when guru on amiga emu side !!) Although it is rare
I sit ever so partially corrected Although I use WinUAE more than Windows itself (I'm fairly sure ) and this hasn't happened to me since WIndows 98.

...and lets face it-- Hosing Windows 98 was like taking candy from a baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Alyria is now banned as he has same ip as Fortrax aka Minious
In that case you might as well lock this thread. I can't see anything useful coming out of it