English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 September 2019, 02:38   #21
Marchie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been through the max transfer debacle already, but it seems that there may still be gremlins with the CF adapter. I'll try an SD2IDE and see if that works any better.

I do have a proper HDD but I don't know how I'd mount it in the CD32...
Old 27 September 2019, 15:09   #22
lord of time
Banned

Id advise against a actual harddisk drive in a CD32 as I have noticed the bay where th TF330 goes gets quiet warm in use.. a drive there would only make this worse.
Old 27 September 2019, 21:32   #23
jotd
This cat is no more

hard drive consumes more power, maybe more than the CD32 can supply. I've ditched my drives for CF cards (they were all failing anyway, and it's really easier to handle/prep a CF card with WinUAE)
Old 30 September 2019, 17:01   #24
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
hard drive consumes more power, maybe more than the CD32 can supply. I've ditched my drives for CF cards (they were all failing anyway, and it's really easier to handle/prep a CF card with WinUAE)
The SX expansions were all built around 2.5" hard drives so I do not see power to a modern more efficient drive being an issue. Oh and handling and prepping an IDE drive in winuae is IDENTICAL to that of a CF card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
Id advise against a actual harddisk drive in a CD32 as I have noticed the bay where th TF330 goes gets quiet warm in use.. a drive there would only make this worse.
While I agree the TF330 gets hot I don't think the heat generated by a spinning drive would cause any problems, the SX32 pro was designed around this setup after all.

The heat generated by my 80gb drive in my A1200 is insignificant.
Old 01 October 2019, 02:29   #25
xubidoo

id guess that it's probably your cf adaptor and/or ide cable, maybe even the cf card itself. Possibly you have a very outdated set of game slaves installed?

I have a Sandisk 16gb cf and id say roughly 90% of all the games I have tried work with no problems, I find 1 now and then that crashes or gives an error, usually downloading a newer slave fixes it.
EG: tonight I discovered Double Dragon 3 crashes with an error msg, so will be looking for a newer version, have replaced probably 30+ slaves with newer versions so far in last few months and now all work ok.

and then again your problem maybe completely different, just my own experiences really, wether they help or not is another matter.

Old 01 October 2019, 03:05   #26
lord of time
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
The SX expansions were all built around 2.5" hard drives so I do not see power to a modern more efficient drive being an issue. Oh and handling and prepping an IDE drive in winuae is IDENTICAL to that of a CF card.

While I agree the TF330 gets hot I don't think the heat generated by a spinning drive would cause any problems, the SX32 pro was designed around this setup after all.

The heat generated by my 80gb drive in my A1200 is insignificant.
I never said the heat was an issue but the fact of the matter is these are old machines that arnt getting any younger - keeping them cool should help keep them healthy!
Old 01 October 2019, 13:25   #27
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
I never said the heat was an issue but the fact of the matter is these are old machines that arnt getting any younger - keeping them cool should help keep them healthy!
Point taken.

I have been considering some sort of cooling solution for my CD32 for the upcoming TF360 as for that card I think you'll need something. That said Stephen (aka Mr T. Fire) doesn't think its an issue but still I think some airflow over a heat sink wouldn't do any harm.

I think I'll put it to the test in my A1200. Run say the frontier demo for an hour from the HDD and from CF and compare temperatures. I have a heat gun but I think I'd need some probes to make it as accurate as possible.

Does the frontier intro access the drive as its playing though.... I'm not sure, it might be loaded fully into memory. The likes of the road avenger intro might be better as it does access as it goes.

Anyway this getting off topic so I'll leave it at that.
Old 01 October 2019, 14:35   #28
lord of time
Banned

Frontier loads itself into ram - not sure about the WHDLoad version - I guess it depends on if you have PRELOAD tool type set or not. I have a small heat sink on my TF330 it dosnt make a lot of difference but It cant hurt and yes when we have TF360 we will need a fan - I think there was talk of powering the fan from the TF360.