English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 June 2023, 01:09   #21
Bren McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Like a gamer that spent too much time gaming.
Old 12 June 2023, 16:28   #22
TommyTomorrow

I've ordered Joycart so I won't go for Immortal Joystick but I'll keep my fingers crossed for your project because the Unijoy project is dead.
Old 14 June 2023, 12:58   #23
amigaformortals

Sorry, I've not been on here for a few days and it looks like I've missed a fair bit. I'll try to respond to the main points...

Quote:
No joystick has ever had this layout.
The layout is not dissimilar to some other joysticks I have seen, but that aside I don't personally see this as an issue. I've spent a good amount of time gaming with these as have a good number of customers and I am yet to receive any negative feedback.

Quote:
you're asking the hand to bend so the palm bottom rests on a table while the top reaches over to press buttons?
When using the joystick I really do feel that this is quite a natural and comfortable position. I've tried to take a photo that shows that I don't have to bend my wrist at all to reach the buttons.

Quote:
How suitable would this stick be for something like SWOS? A lot of new joysticks seem to have a bit of "travel", which makes it unsuitable for the speediness of SWOS.
There is a few mm of travel in the stick, however, as someone has already mentioned, it is possible to upgrade a couple of parts yourself that improves this. A larger actuator reduces the travel by a couple of mm and a stiffer spring seems to make things seem a bit more responsive too. These parts are super easy to swap out yourself to suit your own gaming style.

Quote:
In my defense, I didn't promise it would get a good reception. Just not quite as bad a reception as the other one so I'm still technically right.
I won't hold it against you

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your project
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the support.
Old 14 June 2023, 13:45   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Thanks very much. Unfortunately I won't be backing because 2-buttons is just too limited. Had it been a traditional arcade stick with 8 buttons (6+2) using the Megadrive/CD32 multi-button protocols I'd have been interested (but I imagine there are already products of that type?). Good luck.
Old 14 June 2023, 14:29   #25
amigaformortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Had it been a traditional arcade stick with 8 buttons (6+2) using the Megadrive/CD32 multi-button protocols I'd have been interested.
Hi. I've had a few requests for MD or CD32 versions, and I have actually built a prototype for the CD32. I just needed to start somewhere so felt the basic 2 button stick was the best place. If this KS is successful, my plan is to then launch additional models such as those.

Thanks for your support though.
Old 14 June 2023, 20:28   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ha ha That picture is misleading. You're in relax mode, not in frustrated "I'm not bad, it's a bug!" gamer mode Need more frantic button mashing.
Old 18 June 2023, 09:46   #27
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
These retro joysticks that have been made out of candy cabinet parts can be made more home computer joystick-like by swapping in a stiffer spring and a larger actuator. Arcade shops sell these, they aren't very expensive.

If it's cheap and easy to do, I guess I can give it a shot. I guess I was hoping just to buy a joystick like that outright. Not sure what the Unithor was going to be like.
Old 19 June 2023, 11:49   #28
amigaformortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
If it's cheap and easy to do, I guess I can give it a shot. I guess I was hoping just to buy a joystick like that outright. Not sure what the Unithor was going to be like.
It really is easy to do. Those things are personal preference though, which is why I chose to leave the components as the standard ones that come with the Sanwa stick and if people choose to swap them they can.

I will make some guides and videos on how to swap things out to make it easier for people. And I may well try to stock a few of the parts too, so that people can get them direct from me.
Old 04 July 2023, 09:25   #29
amigaformortals

Had a great weekend at Kickstart talking to people about the joysticks and giving them a chance to give them a try on some games.

The comments I had back were awesome and several people said that once they had actually picked one up they understood what I was trying to go for with them quality wise.

Neil from RMC Retro also did a nice little video showing off the joysticks and giving me an opportunity to tell people a little bit about them. You can check that out in the following places:
https://twitter.com/RMCRetro/status/1675840728272982017
https://fb.watch/lzwFULaiBf/
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuPCSVbsXIB/

There is only a couple of days left on the Kickstarter, so please head over to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ortaljoysticks if you would like to back it and help get it over the line!
Old 05 July 2023, 11:12   #30
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Almost there. Good luck++
Old 05 July 2023, 14:35   #31
amigaformortals

Thank you very much.

Had a really nice surge of backers over the last couple of days, so we are now at £22,684 of a £25,000 target!
Old 15 July 2023, 14:59   #32
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaformortals View Post
It really is easy to do. Those things are personal preference though, which is why I chose to leave the components as the standard ones that come with the Sanwa stick and if people choose to swap them they can.

I will make some guides and videos on how to swap things out to make it easier for people. And I may well try to stock a few of the parts too, so that people can get them direct from me.
That would be great. It'd be really helpful to be able to make it a bit more responsive with less travel!
Old 15 July 2023, 22:16   #33
eXeler0

I see the funding was successful, congrats and good luck with this project. Always nice to see these retro-projects that succeed on Kickstarter.
Old 16 July 2023, 00:23   #34
DisasterIncarna

....Meanwhile over at Unithor on Kickstarter.

Old 16 July 2023, 11:46   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Sometimes it's better to do things on your own

Congratulations on reaching the goal
Old 16 July 2023, 12:06   #36
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post

I thought that was back up and running again?
Old 16 July 2023, 12:17   #37
Lynk

It is apparently. Wait and see.
Old 16 July 2023, 15:27   #38
hitm4n

Congrats on crossing the line. Looks like a corker joystick.
Old 16 July 2023, 15:41   #39
amigaformortals

Thanks guys. Really pleased to have exceeded the goal.
I have a meeting with the manufacturer in Norwich on Tues to get the ball rolling on the initial factory samples etc.

If anyone missed the Kickstarter and still wanted to get a joystick, I have opened up pre-orders directly through my website.
The options and cost is identical to the Kickstarter and I will include all early pre-orders on the initial production run with the Kickstarter orders.
Old 31 July 2023, 14:08   #40
A500

Does the 2nd fire button also work as...well, a 2nd separate fire button on the Amiga that can do other things besides acting as 'the jump button'?