English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 July 2004, 18:01   #21
Dr. Dude

why not make the 1.3 roms free?
so thay are not free today? Who is making money of it then?

I know Amiga is comming back, whit the os and so
but er....i haved seen them useing 1.3 kickroms
Old 05 July 2004, 18:05   #22
fiath

Amiga Forever - Cloanto license the ROMs to go in that package, which includes (AFAIK) 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1. Possibly even all ROM's ever released for all I know.

Ah, here you go:
http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-114.html
Old 05 July 2004, 19:38   #23
Dr. Dude

hey i seem to have downloaded it sometime
It holds evrything, from the roms to the rom key
Old 05 July 2004, 23:36   #24
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dude
hey i seem to have downloaded it sometime
It holds evrything, from the roms to the rom key
hmmm, sounds like the emuchina TOSEC kickstarts archive
Old 06 July 2004, 01:29   #25
Physsicz

Amiga Roms why there not free!

I think the only reason that the amiga roms are still not free is because the company that purchased them "KMOS" is going to be using it, here is a quote from the offical Amiga OS site.

"This unique technology is currently being adapted for the next generation of mobile communication chip sets, ushering in new forms of mobile communication"

Unless Im wrong it looks like there going to develop the Amiga os further and intergrate it into new technology.

http://os.amiga.com/os4/OS4GUIPre.php Here is a link that shows the Amiga OS 4.0. If you read some of the site I think there will be a future in it!..

Old 06 July 2004, 05:04   #26
oldpx

Mainstream doesn't care about the free availability of 1.3 roms, enthusiasts do and a new computer is advertised for mainstream that's my point. We all already have an opinion about A1+Os4, availability of kick1.3 won't change our ideas.

And if KMOS wants to use kick 1.3 in a hardware product, we can't blame them, at least they'll be the only company in years that will have USED the kick 1.3 rom. What if they make it free and let's say, nokia uses it instead? ( "freedom" can surely be detailed in the user agreement but you get the idea)

Old 06 July 2004, 09:14   #27
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo42
They may release it for free under a special licence: say "For not commercial use only"... So they could still sell licence for that Joystick stuff or anything else...

What has the release of OS4 to do with the free (or not) release of OS 1.x ?
What it might have to do with OS4 is (as I tried to explain) that if they want to provide the ability to run classic Amiga software under OS4, then they would probably need to use the 1.x kickstart to do so via emulation. They may also want to not have 1.x freely available for others to use so that OS4 could be unique in that regard - the only OS that could include this capability as a built in feature.

I'm afraid I just don't see the point in whining that a company which has purchased the intellectual property rights to a bit of software isn't being fair because they refuse to simply give it away. They bought it - it's their business (both literally and figuratively) whether they want to release it for free or not. Sure it is old, but that is irrelevant. Elvis Presley music is old too (a lot older for that matter), but if you want it, you still have to buy it to get it legally.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:36   #28
oldpx

Right, and the music industry is a lot more cruel IMO.

Old 06 July 2004, 09:57   #29
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
And if KMOS wants to use kick 1.3 in a hardware product, we can't blame them, at least they'll be the only company in years that will have USED the kick 1.3 rom. What if they make it free and let's say, nokia uses it instead? ( "freedom" can surely be detailed in the user agreement but you get the idea)
KMOS goes up against Microsoft's embedded mobile OS, Symbian and Linux, with 19-year-old Amiga technology. KMOS go bust. Commodore Curse strikes again!
Old 06 July 2004, 11:55   #30
oldpx

Hehe exactly!