English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 August 2024, 21:01   #21
Aladin

The PC games market has always existed. I had an Amstrad PC1512 before changing to an Amiga 500. The PC gaming department already existed.
(And piracy was also very developed in 1989 on PC)

Last edited by Aladin; 05 August 2024 at 21:10.
Old 06 August 2024, 23:07   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

True enough, I saw quite a lot of ancient machines while I was enjoying my Amiga at relatives and friends. For the longest time the die hards who were playing video games on their PCs with CGA graphics and PC speaker bleeps all had some kind of Sierra adventure, Prince of Persia, Test Drive and California Games It was like a minimum PC survival kit.
Old 06 August 2024, 23:45   #23
lmimmfn

The thread is related to PC and Europe but it was the PS1 that largely moved Europeans from computers to consoles.

Even if PCs saw a spike in sales for gaming after the Amiga, it would drop significantly after the release of the PS1. A PC with similar graphical ability would cist a fortune at the time. Parents needing a OC for accounts wouldn't pay the crazy prices to turn it into a gaming PC and would opt for a PS1 instead.

Another pro for the PS1 was the platinum series of games, I.e. Once a game reached X million sales it was sold for 20quid. Consoles had a hard time taking off in Europe due to 50quid game priced, the PS1 and platinum series games made it a no brainer.
Old Yesterday, 04:35   #24
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
T
Even if PCs saw a spike in sales for gaming after the Amiga, it would drop significantly after the release of the PS1.
You have some sources for these claims?
Old Yesterday, 11:25   #25
Dunny

I remember visiting a friend - would have been 1992 I guess? - and for the next year or two we would regularly play games on his PC.

X-Wing, Ultima Underworld etc etc. They were great games and I got kinda jealous even if the framerates on his 386 were pretty poor. But they were the standouts - I also worked in a place with PCs (286 and 386s) which had games like keen, zool etc on them and they were terrible.

I was glad I had an Amiga. It wasn't until very much later - 1998 or so I think - that I moved up to a PC for Doom, Quake, Terminal Velocity etc etc that I felt the PC was a viable gaming platform. And even then the Amiga still had it beat for sound with so many games still using MIDI on crappy wavetable synths.
Old Yesterday, 14:34   #26
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Even if PCs saw a spike in sales for gaming after the Amiga, it would drop significantly after the release of the PS1.
I think the PS1 at most slowed down the exponential growth of the number of sold PCs per year.
Old Yesterday, 17:22   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I think the PS1 at most slowed down the exponential growth of the number of sold PCs per year.
It wasn't exponential, but it clearly picked up between 1993 and 1995: https://www.bomberbot.com/computers/...-in-the-1990s/
Old Yesterday, 18:31   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The PS1 was certainly the console where I played the same games on both platforms, it was more of a hybrid. I can see how the PS1 would make some people migrate away but only those which were using PCs ONLY for gaming.

Because let's face it, people gamed on their PC even with those CGA and PC speaker sounds because they needed it for other things too, word processing most likely. You're not going to let a machine just sit there doing nothing, if a human being can play a game on something... they will.
Old Yesterday, 19:50   #29
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I've talked about this elsewhere. I can't speak for the whole of Europe, because if it's still a somewhat heterogeneous place, back then it was MUCH more so.

In Portugal the first household PCs to really stand out in gaming (386DX with VGA) started to become somewhat prevalent by mid 1993 and the 486DX2 SVGA SB16 only became ubiquitous about a year later. Apparently Portugal had a lag of about a year compared to the bigger European economies of the time (Germany, France and England).

The Playstation was a different story. People around here started buying the Saturn as soon as it came out but when the Playstation hit the shelves in 1995, it started to sell like hotcakes and became the de facto gaming standard in about a year. Even people who had gaming PCs and had earlier bought a Saturn ended up buying a Playstation because they were very capable, had huge support, was very widespread (making game trading easier) and was relatively cheap. The Playstation remained the top-gaming device up until the 3dfx-equipped Pentium II PCs became the norm in about 1999/2000.
Old Today, 00:11   #30
Megalomaniac

Having never owned a PC of CGA / beeper vintage, I can only get an idea of performance via YouTube, and most footage there seems to come from DOSBox, which can be unrepresentatively fast compared to the real PCs of the day. Still, I think that if you had no other computer or console, you could derive some fun playing most types of games in CGA and beeper, certainly. Prince of Persia is better in 320x200 4 colour mode than I imagined it could be, though still behind every other version except maybe the Game Boy. The Epyx games are tolerable. Beeper sound is usually pre-128k Spectrum-level, but I guess it was something. On balance though, having a NES / Master System or an 8-bit computer as well as probably still a worthwhile investment for most people, given that even an Amstrad PC1512 cost far more than most 8-bits in 1987.

For 'serious' genres, that era's PCs fare better, obviously beating consoles, and generally beating 8-bit computers. Point and click adventures for example weren't practical on consoles, or on most 8-bits (C64 if you had a disk drive which cost as much as an Amstrad PC1512, or an Amstrad CPC with disk drive, though most of the adventures there were only in French) and you could just about play them in CYMK graphics (or those tweaked 160x200 16 colour modes sometimes). For flight sims (the PC's first strong-suit for games) the normal CYMK combination means no green grass, but something like Chuck Yeager's (version 1) still looks adequate. Again, the tweaked modes can look better.

As Dunny says, for 'serious' genres PCs overtook Amigas sooner than for action games, an EGA & Ad-Lib 286 would probably beat an ST in those genres, and a VGA 286 or 386 probably better than an Amiga (except for sound), but until VGA and Soundblaster they couldn't compete with far cheaper home computers or consoles for action games - but again they were fine as an only option. My instinctual negative prejudice against them as overpriced, clunky and characterless may or may not have been merited.

Do we know how well PC games actually sold in Europe in those eras though? The lack of attention to PC game development outside the US until well into the 90s makes me think they weren't huge sellers here.

Jumping forward, I did consider the 'Playstation plus upgraded A1200 instead of a PC' option around the time of Windows 95 launching and Escom relaunching the Amiga. Hindsight says I was right to move on to a PC, despite my instinctual dislike of them as overpriced, clunky and characterless (was that still true in 1995? Indeed, was it true in 1992 or 1989 or 1986?). Maybe Playstation plus second-hand PC would have been a better approach? I suspect people put off replacing or upgrading their PC in order to buy a Playstation - it was the first console to have any strength in the PC's stronger areas, in an era where 3D was replacing 2D as the main form for action games. Still, for serious games it lacked (using a few from the early Playstation era as examples) Warcraft 2, Command and Conquer (though it had Red Alert), Grand Prix 2, Dungeon Keeper and more, and an older PC couldn't run those well, so a PC (or Mac?) was still needed for many gamers.