English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 December 2020, 12:16   #21
nobody

Early adventures like Operation stealth, Furure wars, Monkey island 1, Lure of rhe temptress etc are better.
Old 14 December 2020, 19:00   #22
Master484

Quote:
I can only assume that VGA gave the coders 100% palette control like Amiga graphics do, unlike EGA.
Yes, VGA allows free color selection and up to 256 colors on screen. But in the case of Altered Beast both the EGA and VGA versions look almost identical, so it seems that they just took the EGA version graphics and maybe slightly changed a few colors, and that's it.

---

Here is some more DOS awesomeness:

Thunder Blade on PC-DOS (16 color EGA graphics)

[ Show youtube player ]

Thunder Blade on Amiga (32 colors)

[ Show youtube player ]

---

I always found those pilot heads on the top of the screen hilarious. On the Amiga version it looks like the guy on the left is angry, and the guy on the right is sad. And I bet this is how most people feel when they're playing this Amiga conversion: they're angry because the game is so stupidly hard, and sad because it could have been so much better.

However, in the DOS version it looks like as if both of those pilots are just crying.

Old 14 December 2020, 20:22   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't know if Thunder Blade could have been so much better, it's not exactly a game made for home computer platforms or consoles IMO. Lets say the framerate is improved and the bullet hell mechanics are done far better... It'd have been a polished turd.

Those PC graphics are hilarious though, the dudes look like a pair of corpses!
Old 15 December 2020, 00:56   #24
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I remember Turrican 2 looking much better on DOS but was a git to get to run on my PC. On Amiga I'd just slap the disk in.
Old 15 December 2020, 05:49   #25
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
I always found those pilot heads on the top of the screen hilarious. On the Amiga version it looks like the guy on the left is angry, and the guy on the right is sad. And I bet this is how most people feel when they're playing this Amiga conversion: they're angry because the game is so stupidly hard, and sad because it could have been so much better.

However, in the DOS version it looks like as if both of those pilots are just crying.
I remember thinking of something similar when I saw those pilot GFX, too. But look at the lovely subtle shading of the digitised title picture compared to EGA!

However, I've never liked games like this that have game title artwork take up a QUARTER of the in-game screens, usually indicates poor quality.
Old 15 December 2020, 06:35   #26
Playaveli
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Send a message via ICQ to Playaveli Send a message via AIM to Playaveli Send a message via MSN to Playaveli
Constant debate about it... but SWOS on the Amiga beats the DOS version! Still, I love both of them.
Old 15 December 2020, 09:59   #27
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I don't know if Thunder Blade could have been so much better, it's not exactly a game made for home computer platforms or consoles IMO. Lets say the framerate is improved and the bullet hell mechanics are done far better... It'd have been a polished turd.

Those PC graphics are hilarious though, the dudes look like a pair of corpses!
Well tbh, most Sega ports on home computers and DOS sucks ass. Mostly the number one problem based on my experience is the jerkiness.
Old 15 December 2020, 10:01   #28
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playaveli View Post
Constant debate about it... but SWOS on the Amiga beats the DOS version! Still, I love both of them.
Sensible Soccer? I don't really like sensible soccer, I just hate the way the players pixel sprites are small. And somehow everytime I dribble the ball the ball keeps slips
Old 15 December 2020, 10:10   #29
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks69 View Post
Sensible Soccer? I don't really like sensible soccer, I just hate the way the players pixel sprites are small. And somehow everytime I dribble the ball the ball keeps slips
I remember reading back in the day that Kick-Off was THE definitive Amiga footie game - did SWOS beat it or something?
Old 15 December 2020, 13:27   #30
d4rk3lf

Someone should make REAL comparison video on youtube Amiga VS PC games in period of 1985-1994.
What I mean by REAL?

I mean not using emulators, but real configurations. Not using DosBox with patched games to run perfect speed, but using average 286,386,486 of the time.
That way, the winner would be clear (A500 would wipe the floor with 386).

Everybody forgets, how PC games of that times were unplayable (or bad playable) because of constant fos changing. You can't see that now in dropbox.
This is very important stuff, but somehow, everybody seems to ignore it.

Quote:
Yeah.
Swos is really nice game, and all. Very playable, very smooth...
But it's really not soccer game (for me at least), it's more like a "bouncing of player ball" game.
In my search for foodbal games that I like (a little bit slower pace then Swos, and more constant control of the ball), I found that I really like Total Football, and recently I descovered a Wembley International Soccer that I really like.

Nice basketball game we still have to make
Tv Sports had nice presentation and all, but imho, gameplkay is just waaay too slow and boring.
Amiga can do so much better job.
Old 15 December 2020, 14:09   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
I remember Turrican 2 looking much better on DOS but was a git to get to run on my PC. On Amiga I'd just slap the disk in.
Correct, a rare few games needed specifically EMS memory active to work, I believe Turrican 2 was one of those examples. So basically you'd need a bootdisk to be able to play the game...
Old 15 December 2020, 15:13   #32
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Someone should make REAL comparison video on youtube Amiga VS PC games in period of 1985-1994.
What I mean by REAL?

I mean not using emulators, but real configurations. Not using DosBox with patched games to run perfect speed, but using average 286,386,486 of the time.
I have a real DOS PC sitting next to a real Amiga and sometimes compare games.

Most DOS games have to be slowed down to platform-accurate speed, otherwise they are unplayable. In case of non-arcade games from 1991/1992 onwards, it's the PC which usually has the better version. It's a simple fact of life, and I'm not sure why is it so hard to accept? Afetr all it's nearly 2021, do we really still have to be hung up on petty tribal allegiances from the past?
Old 15 December 2020, 16:11   #33
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I have a real DOS PC sitting next to a real Amiga and sometimes compare games.
What PC config you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Most DOS games have to be slowed down to platform-accurate speed, otherwise they are unplayable. In case of non-arcade games from 1991/1992 onwards, it's the PC which usually has the better version. It's a simple fact of life, and I'm not sure why is it so hard to accept? Afetr all it's nearly 2021, do we really still have to be hung up on petty tribal allegiances from the past?
I think you didn't understand me.
I am not cheering up for the Amiga (well, a little bit ), or anything like it, just stating what I remembered back in the day.
If someone likes more to play on PC, I have nothing against it.
I love to play old PC games too, like Master of Orion 2, or Civilization 3, or Might and Magic 6.

I just would like to see real comparison, and as you said, some games are running too fast, and lots of problems, people forgets, and this is important part of having some configurations.
But on youtube, in these comparison videos, almost always is used DosBox, and this seems unfair comparison to me.
Old 15 December 2020, 18:08   #34
Playaveli
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Send a message via ICQ to Playaveli Send a message via AIM to Playaveli Send a message via MSN to Playaveli
Quote:
That's called skill. In real life, I haven't seen Messi using glue on his boots either!
Old 15 December 2020, 18:43   #35
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playaveli View Post
That's called skill. In real life, I haven't seen Messi using glue on his boots either!
Yeah, but sometimes (in games) you'd like to drive airplanes, without knowing to do that in reality.

Besides, ball doesn't bounce of the players in real life, like in Swos. It can slip, but not bounce that way.
I mean.. if we exclude my country (Serbia) football team.
It bounces of them.
Old 15 December 2020, 19:17   #36
dreadnought

Quote:
What PC config you have?
I just would like to see real comparison, and as you said, some games are running too fast, and lots of problems, people forgets, and this is important part of having some configurations.
But on youtube, in these comparison videos, almost always is used DosBox, and this seems unfair comparison to me.
By "too fast" I mean on most later Pentiums, and definitely modern PCs. So you need to use slowdown programs on real hardware, and appropriate cycles in DosBox. But back in the day it wouldn't be a problem.

It's the same with config/memory "problems", these are vastly exaggerated nowadays. It was never a big deal really, even a dumdum like me coule write a simple autoexec with few options covering most games.

Sure, you can crank up speed in 3D games in Dosbox, but in the mostly 2D period we're talking about it does not make much difference if you're using DosBox or real hardware.
Old 15 December 2020, 21:33   #37
Gordon
Settler

SWOS for sure, I hate the Dos ball movement
Old 18 December 2020, 07:15   #38
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
What I mean by REAL?

Everybody forgets, how PC games of that times were unplayable (or bad playable) because of constant fos changing. You can't see that now in dropbox.
This is very important stuff, but somehow, everybody seems to ignore it.

Yeah.
Swos is really nice game, and all. Very playable, very smooth...
But it's really not soccer game (for me at least), it's more like a "bouncing of player ball" game.
In my search for foodbal games that I like (a little bit slower pace then Swos, and more constant control of the ball), I found that I really like Total Football, and recently I descovered a Wembley International Soccer that I really like.

Nice basketball game we still have to make
Tv Sports had nice presentation and all, but imho, gameplkay is just waaay too slow and boring.
Amiga can do so much better job.
Yeah I think there ain't many good basketball games on the Amiga in my opinion
Old 18 December 2020, 07:16   #39
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
SWOS for sure, I hate the Dos ball movement
yeah the ball keeps slipping for some reason
Old 22 December 2020, 12:58   #40
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
What PC config you have?
He runs a P4 and maybe a Tualatin P3 too, fast CPUs indeed (who said too fast ?). Check related posts in X86 Discussion.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 23 December 2020 at 00:51.