English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 02 August 2006, 11:35   #21
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

I have been going full tilt at this lately... Burnt out 4 5 1/4" floppy drives this week already because the first lot of 4000 floppies came out of some farmers chook house!! They were filthy but surprisingly no read errors. The grime was the killer, all of his floppies had a film over the actual floppy and when they got hot it coated the heads like chocolate. I have abandended these ones for the time being for obvious reasons.

The second lot of 7200 mixed (3 1/2 and 5 1/4) floppies came to me in 5 huge airtight crates. Found another 5 Teac 5 1/4 floppy drives at the local PC recyclers and modified them ready for disk dumping. Also found 3 old Sony 3 1/2 drives and modified them also, they work an absolute treat except for having to cover the HD hole on some disks.

This old fellow drove 900km to bring me these disks to dump and now i can see why. It is a virtual treasure trove of non TOSEC stuff. So far have found the following:

Australian Megadisc collection 1 -45 (TOSEC has 15 or so)
The Amigaworld Tech Journals
AC's Tech magazine
Lots of install disks (SX-1 etc)
Original apps (Adram - Transwrite - Resource - 30 odd versions of c68k with serial numbers - 50 disks of uedit - wb 1.0 to 3.1 - Deluxe series etc)
about 2000 disks and catalogue disks from an Australian PD group "Megadisc Public Domain Software"
lots of disks from other PD groups in Australia
Every UK amiga coverdisk (AF - AA - CU Amiga - AUI - Amiga Shopper - The one etc)
games, original games

A couple of questions.

With the utilities disks should i scan the disk label?
Should i rename the megadisc PD collection by the catalogue numbers or by the actual disk number? Sometimes they differ.
Where is the best place / person to send the completed CD's or files to as i go?

Tomorrow i will receive in the post an Exabyte 8205 tape drive and 50 tapes to recover to cd's. A mate of mine was a sysop of a huge BBS in Adelaide and these are around 5 years of BBS backups. Most of them are in quarterback format so hopefully the are still able to be accessed for one more time. Should these files be converted to adf or left as is.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:20   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jrjacobs76/

Last edited by Minuous; 25 October 2006 at 21:52.
Old 02 August 2006, 13:34   #23
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aral
Where is the best place / person to send the completed CD's or files to as i go?
If you want to upload files maybe bippym can help you with a upload slot on his ftp. If you want to sent CD/DVD's to a person you can use any Tosec renamer like bippym or me. We'll rename the stuff properly and include it into Tosec.
Quote:
Tomorrow i will receive in the post an Exabyte 8205 tape drive and 50 tapes to recover to cd's. A mate of mine was a sysop of a huge BBS in Adelaide and these are around 5 years of BBS backups. Most of them are in quarterback format so hopefully the are still able to be accessed for one more time. Should these files be converted to adf or left as is.
Let us hope the tapes still work and you have the right Quarterback version because it seems QB is not backward compatible...
If the backup is from a BBS please do not convert the dms files to adf because the file-id.diz etc. will be lost! It's important to have the original scene releases. I have an extra thread here at the Tosec forum just for this purpose.
Old 02 August 2006, 16:01   #24
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
You should be able to clean the drive heads with alcohol or such rather than having to throw the drives out, I'd imagine...
After 10 or so cleans the brown shit just won't come off anymore, its baked on..

Quote:
YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I have about 35 available at my site (http://www.deadwoodinc.net/amigan/amiga/) but the rest are missing, we will be able to complete the collection now!!

It also seems very likely from reading the rest of the list that you would have the "Amiga-Live!" series by Prime Artifax, the "ACAR Hints Disk #2", the "MCC Copiers" by Melbourne Cracking Crew, and other such exquisitely rare Australian stuff that I have been scouring the net for 10 years for. :-) This is great news! I can't wait!!!
I will check out your site shortly and zone the ones you dont have I saw the ACAR hint disk before also. I know i have the MCC one here so will zone it for you as well...
Old 02 August 2006, 16:18   #25
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
If you want to upload files maybe bippym can help you with a upload slot on his ftp. If you want to sent CD/DVD's to a person you can use any Tosec renamer like bippym or me. We'll rename the stuff properly and include it into Tosec.
Thanks for that will do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
Let us hope the tapes still work and you have the right Quarterback version because it seems QB is not backward compatible...
If the backup is from a BBS please do not convert the dms files to adf because the file-id.diz etc. will be lost! It's important to have the original scene releases. I have an extra thread here at the Tosec forum just for this purpose.
I was a bit hesitant to convert them for that reason.. Hopefully the tapes wont fall to bits as they are reading...
Old 02 August 2006, 17:05   #26
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have enough versions of quarterback that it isn't really an issue with regards to recovering them.

I will also open the ftp for uploads only if anyone wants to contribute to tosec.
Old 02 August 2006, 17:29   #27
demoniac

Quote:
After 10 or so cleans the brown shit just won't come off anymore, its baked on..
Or you might want to try a stronger alcohol concentration. They have 91% and 99%.
Old 12 August 2006, 07:54   #28
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Quote:
You should be able to clean the drive heads with alcohol or such rather than having to throw the drives out, I'd imagine...

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I have about 35 available at my site (http://www.deadwoodinc.net/amigan/amiga/) but the rest are missing, we will be able to complete the collection now!!

It also seems very likely from reading the rest of the list that you would have the "Amiga-Live!" series by Prime Artifax, the "ACAR Hints Disk #2", the "MCC Copiers" by Melbourne Cracking Crew, and other such exquisitely rare Australian stuff that I have been scouring the net for 10 years for. :-)

This is great news! I can't wait!!!
I have been having trouble uploadiung to the Zone... Will try again shortly to see if i can get it to go. I just got a call from my mate with his amiga tape backups. He has got a heap of tapes that were done with ibm colorado software. Now that is going to be harder
Old 12 August 2006, 19:01   #29
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Last edited by Minuous; 25 October 2006 at 21:51.
Old 13 August 2006, 08:51   #30
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Aral: Please remember to do the Speed box scans.
Old 13 August 2006, 16:01   #31
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Megadisc uploaded to the zone now...

Andreas- will have to look in storage for them mate, they are no where to be found at home, will scan the disk in tomorrow and upload it for you
Old 14 August 2006, 05:33   #32
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Last edited by Minuous; 25 October 2006 at 21:51.
Old 14 August 2006, 11:58   #33
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

sorry mate looks like i got too excited when they finally uploaded to the zone will dig out shortly and upload
Old 06 September 2006, 11:37   #34
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

uuggghhh!! The Exabyte 8200 tape drive will not play ball Looks like i have to get a 95 machine cranked up first to see if it will recnogize on the PC. It wont play ball with XP. I can see this is going to be drama packed...LOL I got a heap of PC backups also so am going save the amiga stuff and use the PC. It they die nothing lost
Old 17 September 2007, 17:41   #35
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Any news on this yet...?
Old 27 September 2007, 11:58   #36
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Which bits are you still after mate. I have stopped ripping floppies atm because i have run out of floppy drives. If theres something you want give me a yell and i will make sure i rip them for you.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:14   #37
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

The MCC Copiers, the ACAR Hints Disk #2, Megadisc #45 disk #2 would be the 3 most important ones.

If you were motivated to do the Amiga-Live!s and/or any Interlink disk catalogues they would be a bonus

Many thanks!
Old 21 October 2007, 12:05   #38
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Aral, are you still here...?
Old 16 November 2007, 22:10   #39
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

I'm here mate just not enough for my liking..
Because Icy is on my back like a singlet i am going to start dumping again shortly. Will find the disks your after and rip first
Old 08 January 2008, 19:33   #40
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Cool

The crucial problem I repeatedly read in this thread is that good tapes exist, but old machines are necessary because most XP-compliant software cannot access the data that is on the tapes! Christ! Talk about seamless backward compatibility!