English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 January 2003, 23:09   #21
Puzzle

In Sweden, they used Amiga's on a game show, which featured a guy called Hugo. This game-show was also made and aired in Denmark (I think the original idea was Danish).

Anyway, the contestants played the Hugo-game (which is a game with flying, platform-jumping and other things - it has some very good graphics!), and the group with most points won. Or something like that.

It's long ago, back in 1992-1993.
Old 22 January 2003, 23:22   #22
Echo

Wasn't "Cash Dash" written on Amiga and used in that Sky One gaming show some 10 years ago?

Might have been called Gamesworld, but not positive.
Old 23 January 2003, 10:10   #23
-SolidSnake-

Hugo is dansih yes... but he used to be on the telly in norway too..

Annyhu, on the locale tv station here in norway they use scala on a a1200 to display commercial, scala is great, the commercial isn't

Old 23 January 2003, 10:35   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

The old Games Show Gamesmaster (UK) used an Amiga and an amos written program for the Videoblast at the end of the show

As did other UK Games shows
Old 24 January 2003, 03:11   #25
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am not sure if the TV show Hugo was made using an Amiga... I remember when the game was PORTED to amiga, The One wipped it, and I remember the programmer said it was made in a big computer, and how hard would be to convert the very good gfx for the humble amiga. But in the end, the Amiga version looks identical to the TV show, at least IMO.

Oh, and Hugo was aired here in Brazil too the kids played by phone.

Oohh, I once programmed my VCR to record a movie that was going to be on TV but I wouldn't be able to watch it. The movie was shorter than I thought, so it also recorded the news program after the movie. This was like YEAARS ago, I am not even sure when, but I recently found this tape, and the news program was showing the Fenasoft (A popular computer fair that happens yearly in Sao Paulo), and ALL they showed were Amigas.

I also do know that the brazilian navy uses Amigas for lots of things.
Old 27 January 2003, 10:32   #26
manicx

Dark Justice, an old American TV series featured an Amiga 2000 in one of the episodes to display the files from criminals with digitized pictures.

Also a German 'Breakfast' TV program featured an Amiga game where people were controlling a ball (I think it was the channel's logo) in a top-down perspective and had to avoid obstacles as the screen was moving upwards...

Star Trek Deep Space Nine had many early episodes made with Amigas.

I 've also worked in several TV stations where I used Amigas for displaying the channel's logo and do all the subtitling using Scala!
Old 27 January 2003, 18:33   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

In the US, many cable TV companies still use Amigas to display their on-screen channel guide. When Pyro and I worked in L.A., we went to service one of our clients which was a TV station that was generating an on-screen TV guide thingie using Toaster-equipped Amigas.
Old 22 April 2003, 13:37   #28
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Softy
Don't laugh at me like mean arses if I am utterly wrong with this one, guys, but I *think* that in the early stages of making Jurassic Park's dinos amiga where used... Is that true?
According to IMDB I was right :

"Director Steven Spielberg was worried that "computer graphics" meant "Nintendo" type cartoon quality. He originally only wanted the herd of gallimimus dinosaurs to be computer-generated, but upon seeing ILM's demo animation of a T-rex chasing a herd of galamides across his ranch, he decided to shoot nearly all the dinosaur scenes using this method. The animation was first plotted on an Amiga Toaster, and rendered for the film by Silicon Graphics' Indigo workstations."
Old 22 April 2003, 20:01   #29
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
The film 'The High Crusade' doesn't actually have an amiga in it but has a big credit for amiga in the end credits for special effects...

and of course the gfx used in babylon 5 and most disney films of the late 80's onwards...

I remeber one of the neighbours episodes, where they were trying to kill a virus but the screen showed a graphics ripper from an early hacker tools compilation disk
LOL! Thank you so much for that - it settles a 10-12 year argument.

Watching Neighbours one dreary afternoon in 1989/90 after a late night coding session, only to see "Josh" attempting to kill Paul Robinson's virus using "Graphics Searcher" from a tools disk (you even got to see him selecting the program from a CLI menu in close up!)

Neighbours always credited Commdore Australia at the end of the program during this period.

Thank you for confirming I didn't dream this in a drunken haze.

Didn't the teams on "Get Fresh!" play Xenon on an A500? I also remember Motormouth (Saturday morning kids show) featuring how to make music using an A2000 and midi keyboard.
Old 23 April 2003, 01:21   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

In the film Stepfather III, a nice and creepy little thriller, the boy (Andy) has an A500. It made me cringe watching the title character unhooking the peripherals while it was still running. Nice little B-thriller with the good sense to use Amigas for props! I think it's only available for US/NTSC, though.
Old 23 April 2003, 22:21   #31
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
The old Games Show Gamesmaster (UK) used an Amiga and an amos written program for the Videoblast at the end of the show

As did other UK Games shows
GamesMaster didn't have a "video blast". Bad Influence had a "datablast", which is the same thing, but (more importantly) AMOS doesn't work with a genlock due to Nico Francois writing his own non-system compliant routines for everything.
Old 02 July 2003, 20:27   #32
Echo

Since I now have this show in DivX I thought I'd capture some frames from Red Dwarf showing the Amiga keyboards.

Are all big box Amiga keyboards identical? I can see no obvious logos, the black plastic thing on the top right of picture 2 & 3 might be covering it, possibly even for copyright reasons.

Old 02 July 2003, 23:30   #33
FromWithin
Music lord

The effects on the screens (scrolly stuff and spinning shapes) for the first two series of Red Dwarf were done by SpecialFX (the game company) in Manchester (one of them worked at Psygnosis, and disgusted me by telling me that they got to go to the studios during filming). So they obviously needed Amigas on-set for the displays anyway.
Old 02 July 2003, 23:37   #34
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroBlaster
yeh red dwarf has a few in them! Holoship springs to mind.. when rimmer does the mind test thingy they are using what looks like amiga 2000's?
In the episode where Lister Deletes the Agatha Christie novels from hollys database hes doing it on an old C64!

Im pretty sure I remember an amiga in Ferris Beulers day off at the begining, he is drwing a naked woman on deluxe paint!
Old 02 July 2003, 23:47   #35
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

@ From Within & Echo I have taken the liberty of posting your very interesting info on the official red dwarf fan club forum for my fellor RD Fan Club members to read
Old 04 July 2003, 11:48   #36
plasmatron
Zone Friend

I think ALF feautures has also some A500.
Old 04 July 2003, 12:36   #37
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by plasmatron
I think ALF feautures has also some A500.
I think in the episode where ALF made the music video for Lynn had an Amiga (or was it a C64?). I'll have to dig that tape out one of these days and maybe even dump the episode. I actually downloaded the first episode from WinMX!
Old 04 July 2003, 12:54   #38
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I wish I could Dl episodes of the "Odd Couple"....

I think they had one episode with a mean looking IBM mainframe.
Old 05 July 2003, 05:07   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

There's actually a newsgroup for binaries.multimedia.sitcoms, but I have never seen anything remotely interesting posted there (sigh). I'd surely download the entire Odd Couple collection. Hell, if they'd put it on DVD, I'd buy it, but they are wasting this on crap shows (mostly).

BTW: Gabe Kaplan?!? /me shutters
Old 05 July 2003, 23:23   #40
andyr

I've just watched the beginning of Ferris Bulers day off on the Paramount Channel and it's definitely not an Amiga and it's most definitely not D-Paint on the screen.

Gamesworld on Sky One used Heimdall (sp?) - the bit with the viking girl strapped to a spinning disc and you have to throw axes at her to cut the braids of hair without killing the poor girl in the process.