English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 March 2023, 13:27   #21
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You might be right. There are setups for nearly everything else.

Last edited by Retro1234; 06 March 2023 at 13:52.
Old 06 March 2023, 14:43   #22
van_dammesque

Talking about disks, buy yourself a floppy drive cleaner disk too.
Check floppies for mold too.
Old 06 March 2023, 15:13   #23
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Are any of those CF on ebay legal?
Suggesting he needs 8mb fast at the very start is hardly helpful.
Old 06 March 2023, 16:10   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Here is a link to Licensed copy of a CF card..
If it's not got CFD + FAT95 installed (and it won't have) then what's the point? This person already has a booting, working AmigaOS install.
Old 06 March 2023, 16:45   #25
Kola

Hi all,

Just wanted to say re the drive on here holding loads of old commodore Amiga games. And how a blind eye is turned to that mass rampant piracy that Alex pointed out.

The further irony as rampant disk copying back in the day and the ease of which you could do it was a huge nail in Commodores coffin. Why make a game for the Amiga and sell 1 copy when 99 other versions in circulation would be copies when you could write on a CD or cartridge format and nearly ALL your versions in circulation would be versions people had paid for.

Just seems this is always Commodores fate. Still to this day, Games are fine but hey, ask for a copy of the OS you can only use on an Amiga anyhow and its the death penalty. I mean it's not like Commodore are going too loose out is I get a copy is it, even if I didn't own the original.

Re the image file...... They have been doing this on a classic mac forum forever. It even comes with a load of obsolete software too. Simply apply the image and your away. Looks like you need an account to see post, but here is the link anyhow.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index...ic,2716.0.html
Old 06 March 2023, 16:48   #26
Kola

Pretty sure I have got a CF card installed.

I got part of the way through doing all of this years ago but life got in the way. Was deployed somewhere, had to pack up and had to start again. Some guy in my regiment fitted the stuff. Great community the Army. Miss that now I'm out.

So, I have got back to trying all of this some 5 years later and no clue what was done. I got a magic scart thingy where I can use my Amiga on a flat screen with a scart. I got a CF reader thatr plugs into the left hand side but cant seem to access it. And it boots into workbench so as someone on here said it must have a CF drive fitted.
Old 06 March 2023, 16:49   #27
Retro1234
Phone Homer

It might be possible to help you -Do you have the CF2IDE adapter and a CF?
Do you have Workbench on disk? or maybe a disk that boots to Workbench such as DPaint or a coverdisk etc?
Old 06 March 2023, 16:55   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
it boots into workbench so as someone on here said it must have a CF drive fitted.
Or a regular HDD.

Quote:
I got a CF reader that plugs into the left hand side but cant seem to access it.
All the information to get you going is in this thread.

Fire up your Amiga, post a picture of your workbench desktop after booting (use your mobile phone) so we can see how many partitions you have.

Follow that [ Show youtube player ], see how to open Shell (click on hard drive icon, find the drawer "System" click on the icon "Shell)

Make the Shell window as big as possible, type "dir" take another photo, type "cd C" press enter type "dir l#?" and lets see if you have LHA installed. Then we can talk you through looking for CFD/FAT95 and getting them installed correctly.

Once installed the PCMCIA CF card will work.
Old 06 March 2023, 19:10   #29
Kola

Alex, Thasnks again for the instruction

I have followed so far but am stuck at type "dir l#?"

What is that that follows the dir? An L ie EL? or some sort of squiggle you programmer types use? Is it an I ie EYE?

Also how do you do a hash tag with an Amiga. Of course I have tried shift, A key, ctrl etc. Can't seem to do it.

EDIT 1
GOT IT - Dont think my left shift key working.

EDIT2

Is that eye / el is the line on the key to the right of delete then I have used that.

It says Could not get information for l#? Bad Templete.

Pics to follow
Old 06 March 2023, 19:17   #30
Kola

Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga 1.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	78273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga 2.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	78274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga 3.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	78275  
Old 06 March 2023, 19:22   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Good work. Looks like you have 3 Partitions, the main partition "system" with AmigaOS and then two more "Games" and "Music".

#? is the AmigaOS equivalent of * so I am surprised that didn't work. (e.g. "dir L*" is normally "dir L#?")

Ok so try just "dir" and look out for "lha" (LHA) (it might be lha.run or lha_020 etc)

Also type "devs:" and then "dir" and look out for "compactflash.device"

Then type "Games:" and type "dir"

and "Music:" and type "dir"

We're looking for any signs of fat95 and or cfd. Or subdirectories that may have them.

Use your intelligence, if you don't find any in the root directory, enter any sub directories ("cd <dir name>") and look around using "dir". The files are probably named "cfd.lha" and "fat95.lha" or they could have already been extracted.

Last edited by alexh; 06 March 2023 at 19:29.
Old 06 March 2023, 19:28   #32
koobo

This should work:
Code:
dir l#?
This should not:
Code:
dir |#?
Old 06 March 2023, 22:17   #33
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
[...] Obviously you’ve got too much time on your hands in the nursing home your in [...]
This is definitively the best argument I have read from your posts ..
And you want people to take you seriously...

Last edited by malko; 07 March 2023 at 08:24.
Old 07 March 2023, 12:53   #34
Kola

Hi everyone,

Got it sorted. Cannot believe how easy it was nor how utterly stupid Workbench seems to be. Yeah, flame away.

HUGE thanks to everyone for their time and for User 'fgh' who said had I enabled Window > Show all files. I haden't and this is all it took seemingly.

I can understand OS's hiding files that the general populace are not going to need but some on, these are installed program files. And these are automatically hidden?

All up and running now. MI6 have agreed to leave me alone. The EAB hasn't been taken down and most surprisingly the world is still spinning. So I guess it all ended well

Thanks again to all that helped
Old 07 March 2023, 14:10   #35
Jope
-

Quote:
I can understand OS's hiding files that the general populace are not going to need but some on, these are installed program files. And these are automatically hidden?
It's just how it is. Icons are shown, the icons are in a separate file (the ones ending with .info) from the actual file.

This must have made more sense back in the old times when people were booting from floppies and had less RAM to load icon images into.
Old 07 March 2023, 14:16   #36
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
I’d say it was closed as members were being jerks instead of helping him out.
He has a 1200, getting help installing the OS is not illegal.
The decision to close was indeed made more because of the quality of the thread than the original question.

It was left up instead of deleting so that any willing soul could still see it and give help via PM.
Old 07 March 2023, 14:20   #37
Kola

Hi Jope,

That is basically what happened. I had enormous support over PM. And am most grateful.
Old 07 March 2023, 14:21   #38
Kola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It's just how it is. Icons are shown, the icons are in a separate file (the ones ending with .info) from the actual file.

This must have made more sense back in the old times when people were booting from floppies and had less RAM to load icon images into.
Yeah that must be it. There must be some logic to it. Seems backward by nowadays standards. Hide the stuff you want too see ha
Old 07 March 2023, 14:37   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Good stuff. So you had CFD, FAT95 and LHA on your hard drive all along?
Old 07 March 2023, 14:46   #40
Kola

Errr, hope your not asking me Alex. I wouldnt have a clue what any of them are never mind if I have them.

My last issues is to get things from my laptop over to my A1200. Thats me done with the knowledge.

Then I can can just kick back, make music and play a few games. Done.

Im not an embrace of technology. Im an end user. So, if I get a watch I really don't know or care how it works. I just read the time of it bosh, all I need.

Thanks for your help mate