English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 December 2009, 15:26   #21
Philski

Hullo all!

I posted on this discussion over at amiga.org, but I was wondering if anybody here can help me.

I'm trying to put together a game for this in GRAC, however I'm having difficulty figuring out how to do certain things, for instance does anyone know how to get characters to talk to one another/create a conversation tree?

Good luck to everyone!

Phil

Old 16 December 2009, 15:29   #22
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I'm a bit worried now... I copied the game to my PC in order to take some screenshots, but for some reason it won't work on WinUAE (where I have an exact clone of my real Amiga hard disk). The title screen is displayed but right before the first level starts I get a 'File not found' message'. The file was compressed & decompressed in Amiga environment so I don't understand what may be wrong. Everything works with no problem in my real Amiga.

I need someone to test the game for me in a WinUAE workbench... any volunteers?
Old 16 December 2009, 15:30   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
I need someone to test the game for me in a WinUAE workbench... any volunteers?
Sure alkis PM me and I'll test it.
Old 16 December 2009, 19:06   #24
alkis21
Zone Friend

Problem solved thanks to TheCyberDruid! So here are the screenshots:

About 70% of the screen is visible while you play. The purpose of the game is to clear each screen and get to the Christmas tree. There will be three worlds of 10 levels each, with different graphics for each world (the screens are from World 1).
Old 16 December 2009, 19:49   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Since I couldn't see it myself you get the here Really nice game alkis21
Old 18 December 2009, 09:50   #26
Cammy

Wow, I'm happy to see more people joining in!

I think the best idea for now would be for each contestant to upload their finished game to their own space and private message me with a link to the download, or send me an email with the game as an attachment. I will then upload them all to the Amiga Christmas Tree Website, which I am in the process of updating for this year. The website is here - http://amigachristmastree.condor.serverpro3.com - but at the moment it's still showing last year's page. I intend to replace it with the new one soon!

All entries should be provided as either an LHA archive that can be extracted and run from Workbench, or as an ADF file that can be written back to floppy or run in an emulator. A burnable ISO image for CDTV or CD32 would be fine too. Please provide a ReadMe file with your entry to explain what the game is about and how you made it, this should help people make a fair choice when voting for the games. If you have used any ripped graphics, sound or music please credit your sources, and let us know which language or game maker you used to create the game.

After the new Amiga Christmas Tree page is uploaded, I'll post all new information about the contest there, as well as replying to anyone on the forums. I can be contacted through PM on this forum, or through MSN or email (both are the same address) which you can find out on my profile. Also, if anyone would just like to chat about Amiga stuff, feel free to add me to MSN (I use AmiMSN on my A1200 and SabreMSN on my Aros laptop).

Merry Christmas, and good luck everyone!
Old 18 December 2009, 11:40   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The voting will be in a poll here? Sorry to ask, but I haven't got how the best game will be voted
Old 18 December 2009, 12:47   #28
Cammy

I'm not sure just yet where I'll set up the voting poll, but it will most likely be on an independant website designed for these things rather than a poll on any particular forum. This is because there are many international members who will be downloading and voting who haven't signed up on any of the English sites I've posted the contest on.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good polling website, please let me know. I'd prefer if the polls could be used through IBrowse and AWeb if possible.
Old 18 December 2009, 18:25   #29
alkis21
Zone Friend

I have another question, are we allowed to make our games publicly available right away? The thing is, because of the Christmas theme it would be awkward if we weren't allowed to post them elsewhere before January...
Old 19 December 2009, 11:48   #30
Cammy

Of course, you're allowed to release them anywhere you like as soon as you like! As long as everyone is able to have something playable by December 24th, so I can upload them all to the Amiga Christmas Tree website.
Old 21 December 2009, 17:54   #31
alkis21
Zone Friend

It's ready! A full length Christmas game of 30 levels.

Cammy (and anyone else who wants to try it), you can download it from here.

And here is a [ Show youtube player ] (not the actual music).

Let me know if anything else is needed from me.
Old 21 December 2009, 21:38   #32
rockersuke

Niice!

With just a couple of games like this I would have something to have some fun (and a great time!) on Christmas morning with my miggy and this comp would have met its purpose!

Now, which is the ultimate deadline? Does "by Dec 24" mean we could upload something during that day?

--

Last edited by rockersuke; 21 December 2009 at 21:47.
Old 21 December 2009, 22:07   #33
viddi

Wow! Awesome stuff so far!!

Alkis, your game looks great.
Old 21 December 2009, 22:08   #34
Graham Humphrey

Good work alkis! Will play later. I trust you won't mind me reviewing it for Amiga Future
Old 22 December 2009, 14:01   #35
manicx

Thank you Alki... Played in in WinUAE and it is addictive...
Old 22 December 2009, 19:56   #36
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Ok, here is the entry for this competition from the halls of Ultimate Amiga - a small dev team have worked hard on this, and we hope you will enjoy it

From the Readme;

Credits
~~~~~
- Code / Design / SFX / Character GFX by Hungry Horace
- Concept & Ideas / Additional GFX by Mihcael
- Music by Murlock, adapted by Hungry Horace

About
~~~~
100% original code - started from the ground-up on 12/12/09
Coded using AMOS Professional
Music salvaged via Octamed Soundstudio
Graphics created in DPaint V
Based on the original MB 'Simon' Game

Gameplay
~~~~~~
Syman is a simple and fun memory game for all the family!
Simply watch the coloured tones played by Syman, and play them back
Playable by up to 4 players simultaneously using the parallel port joystick adaptor.
3 different Gameplay Modes

Controls
~~~~~
Up - Red Button
Right - Blue Button
Down - Green Button
Left - Yellow Button
** This game does not check for a mouse plugged in to port 0, and as such it is recommended you disconnect any mice before loading.

Download
~~~~~~
LHA Format
ZIP Format
Self-Booting ADF

Additional
~~~~~~
Due to the limited time of the competition, although the game is kickstart 1.3 compatible, the game (just about) requires 1.5 meg.
Apologies to CD32 users, as a keyboard is still need for menu options.

These will hopefully be fixed in the future
Old 22 December 2009, 21:11   #37
alkis21
Zone Friend

Well done, I certainly enjoyed it. I like the fact that you coded it from scratch and everything was done in an Amiga, plus the retro graphics. I'm not very good at these games, I got up to 52 points but I'll keep trying.
Old 22 December 2009, 22:48   #38
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Well done, I certainly enjoyed it. I like the fact that you coded it from scratch and everything was done in an Amiga, plus the retro graphics. I'm not very good at these games, I got up to 52 points but I'll keep trying.
Don't forget that there are 3 game modes to play! (ccyle through them by pressing return on the title screen) The reaction test is quite challenging!!

Big thanks to Hungry Horace who took my game idea and absolutly ran with it! His progress and motivation on this project awesome! It was alot of fun being taken along for the ride!!
Old 23 December 2009, 01:22   #39
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
Now, which is the ultimate deadline? Does "by Dec 24" mean we could upload something during that day?
Please, I must insist. Is there any exact deadline (I'm posting from GMT+1 world :-) )? Knowing it for sure could make the difference for me between making a final struggle to make some sort of "first chapter" of my project in time or drop it dead right now and leave it for another ocassion. But I do need to know ^_^'

Anyway, that XmasSiman and that Cornellius have themselves made this comp a worthy initiative! Hope there are still more entries to enjoy!

Thanks to Cammy for the idea and also to Mihcael, Horace, Alkis and whoever joins for the games!

--
Old 23 December 2009, 02:37   #40
Cammy

Hey guys, thanks for joining in! I guess I set the deadline for December 24th so that even those in GMT-11 would still be able to upload their games and have them appear on Christmas day, even if it's at the end of the day. Of course, the sooner you finish, the sooner I can add it to the Amiga Christmas Tree website where it can be downloaded and played by everyone, so you may have a better chance if your game is finished a few hours earlier than the others, it just depends how long people are going to be checking back on the page.

Unless I just wait for all the entries before I upload the page with them, but if that were the case I wouldn't be sure if I was still waiting for an entry from someone who hasn't let me know yet.

I guess I should say, let's all TRY and get our entries finished by Midnight in Greenwich, at least that way they should be available to download from my page some time in the late morning in New Zealand, Australia and Japan, with plenty of time for the rest of the world to wake up to the presents under the tree.