English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 July 2007, 01:14   #21
Peter
Still an Amiga user

It took me two goes to read that post anyway...

I saw the audio mixers on Amigkit - I think that might be what I need... (More money!)
The sound coming from the Amiga is just going from the standard audio left and right straight into my speakers - the sound is excellent but if I want sound from the DVD as well I am going to have to mix... I wonder why I bought the SB128?

If I configure AHI to use the SB128 and plug the speakers into that will I get both sound from the DVD (which is plugged into the SB128) and normal native Amiga sound - bearing in mind the speakers will then be plugged into the SB128 and not the usual left and right audio... (pause for breath...) Does this make sense...??
Old 11 July 2007, 01:17   #22
Peter
Still an Amiga user

If the answer is no - then the mixer from Amigakit seems like the best option and it does kind of make the SB128 a bit... well pointless being there... unless I am missing some real use for it??
Old 11 July 2007, 01:50   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

You can add the Amiga Audio as "AUX in" / "Audio In", from this you can add the Optical Drives Stereo output as "CD IN", as i am yet to setup a sound blaster on a mediator I am curious, would this device mix and output the signals without needing to be told to do so?,

Thing is, my prelude used to, so would the sb128? hmmm.
Old 11 July 2007, 22:01   #24
twizzle

the audio lead came with my dvd player and plugs into my s128 card,
i use a 5mtr std audio lead to connect from the s128 to my suround sound amp
as i am having trouble with AHI, i now use MCDplayer that comes with amicdfs,
it works a treat.

i forgot to mention you will need 1 of these std phone to 3.5mm adaptor.
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...4d57f1192df002

Last edited by twizzle; 11 July 2007 at 23:08.
Old 11 July 2007, 22:28   #25
amigarobbo

How did you get the Mediator on with the fast ATA?

I've got a G-rex, and I can't for the life of me work out how to get the 2 in together, well, not with everything screwed in the correct place anyway.
Old 11 July 2007, 22:28   #26
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
the paula audio wontbe mixed internaly and sent to the card. youll have to make a cable that takes the audio out and connect it to the sb128 aux port. (hack up a internal cdaudio cable). then the dvd can go to the lineIn on the back of the card.

In order for any sound to get to the speakers though, the miggy will have to be on and the mixer initialized and configed to unmute the aux/linein on bootup .

as for ahi, id only use Ahi4 as 5,6 are abit too slow on poor ole 68k cpu
Old 11 July 2007, 22:51   #27
twizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigarobbo View Post
How did you get the Mediator on with the fast ATA?

I've got a G-rex, and I can't for the life of me work out how to get the 2 in together, well, not with everything screwed in the correct place anyway.
hi
i got mathew at amigakit to make me up some custom cables so they come off the fast ata RH & LH,so the mediator will sit down on the MB properly.also using 2 rom risers so the ata fits in the mb sockets correctly.
i have the drawing for the cables if you want a copy?
this is for my power tower.with a mediator 1200sx.

Last edited by twizzle; 11 July 2007 at 23:43.
Old 11 July 2007, 23:01   #28
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Hmmm, sounds like quite a bit of hassle... basically I want to leave the speakeres plugged in and get all usual sounds that come from the Amiga... program noises, mods played through Hippo etc... but I want to be able to throw a CD in the tray load up play CD and hear the results... without having to unplug the speakers and replug them into the soundcard... what about this item from Amigakit...

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...32c56e3481c90b

Do you think this would do what I want - perhaps if Amigakit is online and reading this - you could confirm or drop me a line...

Last edited by Peter; 11 July 2007 at 23:13.
Old 11 July 2007, 23:08   #29
Peter
Still an Amiga user

amigarobbo, I used rom risers (they do make the ATA sit much more flush) but removed them because it made the ATA to high and even with different cables it would not sit under the mediator...
The cables Twizzle got worked for him - I got some from Amigakit as well that had pretty flat tops - not like the IDE cable that comes with the ATA itself... that is too bulky - with the flat top cables the two devices co-exist with a little space to breath...
Old 11 July 2007, 23:11   #30
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Peter

I had some problems with your link, but i did find this, i belive its what you posted ? ;-

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...2f683fd2923a20

you could however build a very small and simple internal mixer from the Optical drive output and the amiga output. from this you can lump this mixed output to the cd-in on the sound-blaster. wich should play all out

I will make a little diagram based on what i put together on the A600+ project.

brb
Old 11 July 2007, 23:17   #31
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have corected the above link... but your right, it is that item - just wondering if this would do the trick... I love an easy way out... sometimes.

I would appreciate the diagram - I would still have to configure AHI for the total sound from the SB128 I guess - AHI confuses the sh*t out of me TBH...

Cheers Zetr0...
Old 11 July 2007, 23:22   #32
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
theres 3 audio ports on the card, so could have the miggy and cd connected seperatly to the card. then any external equipment connected to the linein on rear of card.

the miggy would have to be booted though to unmute the line in for that external equipment to get audioout from it. the card can mix all the inputs at the same time.
Old 11 July 2007, 23:22   #33
twizzle

i use a rgb scart lead with audio leads,tower to my tv then connect the audio leads to my amp on the vid 1 channel.

my s128 card via 4.5mm > 3.5mm adaptor std audio lead to my amp on the vid 2 channel, so i just switch the amp over,speakers permanatly connected, the only problem is if you start playing a cd, then start playing a game,when the cd has finished you have to stop your game to get at the on screen player.
Old 12 July 2007, 01:34   #34
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@peter

heys m8y, heres a simple (feel good) mod, a little soldering and about 20pence worth of components. hell if ya can`t find any local ones i stick some in a jiffy bag and you can build it at home

heres the schematic

with this design you could use the 'mixed' audio out into the CD IN on the Soundblaster.

I tihnk personally AHI was designed to be confusing lol but you shouldn`t need it just to ouput the inputed sound (from the mixer in CD IN or AUX) as mad-matt suggests the moment you turn your miggy on it will initialise the soundblaster so all should be good to pump it striaght out from there €

anyway I hope it helps m8.

Last edited by Zetr0; 13 July 2007 at 00:37. Reason: fixing thumbs and links
Old 12 July 2007, 14:06   #35
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks for this Zetr0 - I'll try and work this out over the weekend - job hunting for the next day or so...
Old 22 July 2007, 14:40   #36
amigarobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzle View Post
hi
i got mathew at amigakit to make me up some custom cables so they come off the fast ata RH & LH,so the mediator will sit down on the MB properly.also using 2 rom risers so the ata fits in the mb sockets correctly.
i have the drawing for the cables if you want a copy?
this is for my power tower.with a mediator 1200sx.
Wouln't mind some cables like that, so thanks I would like a butchers at the drawings
Old 21 January 2009, 17:24   #37
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The Rom Risers and clockport pins removed allowed the Fast ATA to sit almost flush but because it is now sitting at it's correct height it won't allow the Lyra keyboard adaptor to sit in place - the two clash for space - that will have to go back in exchange for an alternative - it's a shame as the Lyra is a nice item.

See picture 2 ... Lyra Adaptor and Fast ATA Controller clash for space...
It seems i don't need to see the picture because i can see the situation at my home. There's no mention about the Lyra not fitting well together with the Fast-ATA MK3 and i'm battling here with this situation. I don't know how to resolve this problem...Peter, how did you manage to solve the problem (if you even solved it ). I'm dying to get my A1200T project going on, for i have all the parts needed right now. And for the sake of Keropi too !
Old 21 January 2009, 18:51   #38
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I cant remember what I did exactly in the end...? I will check back and see if I have any pictures...

I remember that the Lyra keyboard adaptor did go back to Amigakit - they exchanged it for a different type - one that slotted into the A1200 motherboard - it was a decent enough alternative adaptor - I do remember being a bit disappointed that the Lyra type wouldn't fit with the fast ATA device though...

Maybe someone else has had more success setting them both up together since I did my tower project.
Old 21 January 2009, 19:27   #39
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I think i've found the solution:

EZKEY-adapter replacing the Lyra !
It plugs on the U7-socket that won't interrupt the Fast-ATA.
Old 21 January 2009, 19:59   #40
Peter
Still an Amiga user

That wasn't the one I got... but I guess, if it all fits together - it will do the job!
Good luck with getting it all set up and working!
Any pictures??

Mine took ages... but it was great fun!

I don't have an Amiga at the moment, must sort that out soon!