English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 January 2024, 13:20   #21
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
3. I've almost certainly spent an unhealthy amount of my life setting up Workbench installations to my liking, installing stuff, snapshotting icons, etc, in fact possibly more than actually playing games.
I feel seen.
Old 30 January 2024, 17:26   #22
Daedalus

Isn't that a legitimate use case for having an Amiga?

Anyway, around 10 or 12 years ago I threw out a bunch of faulty, broken and obsolete stuff that I simply didn't have the time or space to deal with at the time. It included a 1084 and an A1200 motherboard, both of which I could probably easily fix these days. It also included a couple of A1200 cases and PSUs, A1200 cardboard boxes and poly inserts, an A600 case & keyboard (with damaged membrane). It also included an original PowerMac (7100 IIRC) with matching keyboard, mouse and monitor, all working perfectly.
Old 30 January 2024, 20:48   #23
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I bought Galaxy Force original! I thought "this cannot be done on amiga so whatever they have it here cannot be that bad" - it was THAT bad!
Old 30 January 2024, 21:58   #24
onkelarie

1. I only owned a 1.2 kickstart A500 and an A500+ . And an A590 HD with a whopping 52mb storage
2. I never managed to dock at a spacestation in Elite.
3. I was hooked on Elite Frontier though (and docked a zillion times)
4. I never finished Monkey Island
5. I never played Shadow of the beast
Old 30 January 2024, 22:07   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
2. I never managed to dock at a spacestation in Elite.
I actually did, and later on bought the docking computer; i found the aforementioned one to take it too long to dock (like three minutes compared to my one minute kamikaze approach) and hence had more fun in docking myself
Old 31 January 2024, 07:10   #26
losso

Haha, the Workbench customization thing! The fiddling! The utter disgust when someone else had their stuff configured with weird colors not to my liking or, gasp!, not customized at all!

I dug up a childhood photo recently, and it's me touching up the mouse pointer, of all things:

Needless to say, things got way worse with MUI and the A1200. Or better? It was really fun, though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kinderzimmer-sm.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	81522  
Old 31 January 2024, 09:55   #27
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I feel seen.
This is the "computerising", a form of busy work where one just fiddles around doing something with computers, really not doing anything: tidying up WB or organising the module collection.

I have a feeling this was or still is pretty popular amongst Amiga users.

This is where we get to my confession: I was kind of proud of Amiga Workbench and windowing system, but I never really liked to really used it. For as long as I remember, I had my Amiga booting straight into Shell/CShell with Directory Opus running in the back – a setup which I found much, much more versatile, easy and easy to maintain in real use.
Old 31 January 2024, 11:17   #28
jurassicman

Confessions:
1. I never bought an original Amiga game until the early 2010s
2. I only had an Amiga 500 until the early 2010s
3. I've never plugged a printer to any Amiga
4. I happily spend hundreds of euros buying retro-gears but really hate to spend more than hundred euros for modern hardware (phones included)
5. I still enjoy playing Lotus Esprit and SuperCars (any version of them)
Old 31 January 2024, 12:45   #29
Locutus

Confession: I never found Amiga games all that interesting and mostly crap, early 90s PC games aged better.
Old 01 February 2024, 23:00   #30
losso

A recent one: I love the original hardware and I am happy to have beefed-up Amigas liviging together with me and all, but I just used the Google image search again to look up where the disk drive port is. The labels are such a pain to read and I will never memorize this
Old 01 February 2024, 23:04   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Seriously: what's with all the sneak attack pictures of people sitting behind a computer? What were the parents trying to collect proof of?
Old 02 February 2024, 08:07   #32
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I had my Amiga booting straight into Shell/CShell with Directory Opus running in the back – a setup which I found much, much more versatile, easy and easy to maintain in real use.
Confession 2 - I never (and still do not) see the point of directory opus or any of the other file managers
Old 02 February 2024, 08:27   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Confession 2 - I never (and still do not) see the point of directory opus or any of the other file managers
I guess it depends on how much you work with moving, deleting, and copying files. For me it was no going back once I tried it.
Old 02 February 2024, 08:59   #34
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You should 'fix' that I'd recommend to approach it more like a puzzle game with action elements rather than a platformer.
I've added it to my backlog of 100's of games to get through before I'm too old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
1 I've never played Dune II
I read the book of Dune because of the game, I heard of the game first before the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulapatchuc View Post
My niece plays many Amiga games on my A500 and she will inherit all my Amigas.
Reminds me of a quote from the mountain biking world, but I'll alter it for the Amiga: "When I die, I worry my wife will sell my Amigas for what I told her I paid for them, rather than what they're worth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga Lifestyle View Post
"
*We liked Deathmask. At the time.
Now THAT is a confession.
Old 02 February 2024, 09:06   #35
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
I feel seen.
You are valid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
This is the "computerising", a form of busy work where one just fiddles around doing something with computers, really not doing anything: tidying up WB or organising the module collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
The Workbench: maybe the best game ever written for the Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Confession: I never found Amiga games all that interesting and mostly crap, early 90s PC games aged better.
Are you in the wrong forum?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Seriously: what's with all the sneak attack pictures of people sitting behind a computer? What were the parents trying to collect proof of?
It seems a common bedroom/lounge layout in the 1990's that people sat at their computers with their backs to the door. Wouldn't do that now!

Quote:
I loved DOpus 4 for fast manipulation of files, copying, organising, sorting, etc. but I never got using DOpus as a Workbench replacement. I currently use DOpus 13 on my Windows 11 PC and still love using it.

Keep 'em coming, guys!
Old 03 February 2024, 09:20   #36
E-Penguin
Banana

Confession 3, just in. I prefer modern displays to CRTs. I have a fairly mint Amiga branded monitor (1081 or something) and I can't manage the flickering. So I've put an IndivisionECS in my A1000 and am now enjoying workbench and games on a 24" TFT monitor
Old 03 February 2024, 09:36   #37
Locutus

Quote:

Are you in the wrong forum?!

Not at all, i loved in the Amiga as a computer platform back in the day, I learned programming in C and Assembler on it and in doing so it gave me a career for life.
Old 03 February 2024, 10:05   #38
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
3. I've almost certainly spent an unhealthy amount of my life setting up Workbench installations to my liking, installing stuff, snapshotting icons, etc, in fact possibly more than actually playing games.
Good topic! And I share your #3, apart from the 'more than actually playing games' part.

My confessions:

1. Although I love Kick Off 2 more than life, I also enjoy Sensible World of Soccer and I've played countless of seasons. Why can't we have both?

2. I've tried many times to enjoy strategy and RPG games, but although I recognize their quality, they are just not for me.

3. When I discovered Aminet, my performance in the university deteriorated severely. I had no internet at home so I would go there every day not to attend classes, but to download software.

4. I sometimes pout like a three year old because of the low score my game Cornelius saves Christmas has on Lemon. I think it's a good game but people are just prejudiced against Backbone.
Old 03 February 2024, 12:30   #39
mr.spiv

I never really played games (except for Fire Power, Spherical and Speedball 1). I booted pirated games just to enjoy crack intros!

My Amigas booted straight into 2-color CLI (or some better shell). I never bothered to learn or play with WB. On the other hand my CLI-foo was equivalently lame.. I just knew the basics. I still, today, cannot write a decent CLI script and zero ARexx stuff.

I bought a ton of boxed games but only after Amiga was already gone (after year 2000) and some 15-20 years later sold them with good profit

I used Amiga as my only computer till 2002 or 2003.. until the social pressure at home made me to migrate other non-Intel big endian platform.

Last edited by mr.spiv; 03 February 2024 at 14:11.
Old 03 February 2024, 12:43   #40
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

1. I completed most Amiga games using cheats. I was young, and when a trainer offered me infinite lives, energy and ammo, it lit up the god-complex in my brain. Of course I was going to enable such options.

2. I was able to remove the copy protection from Knights of the Sky so that the game would save my progress properly. I was really proud of myself at the time.

3. I loved Turrican, but I could never find a copy of Turrican 2 back in the day. I finally got to play T2 years later, in 2002, via emulation. Maybe it was because so much time had passed, or because the game was hyped to hell, but I was severely disappointed by the graphics and weapons. To this day, I prefer Turrican 1.

4. I could never get past the qualifying mission in F-18 Interceptor. The game instructed me to take off, fly around, and land back on the aircraft carrier. I did just that, but the level would not end. Failing to complete the mission meant that I could never play the rest of this great game.

5. I still think Street Fighter 2 was a half-decent conversion. Hell, it could have been much worse. I always knew Amiga Street Fighter 2 was never going to be as good as the SNES version, as the miggy always struggled with CPS ports. As a huge fan of fighting games, I was happy with whatever I got.

6. I still think Gods is the best platformer ever made.