English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 February 2010, 10:36   #21
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer View Post
Yes, I have a multisync monitor that supports 15khz/31khz RGB via VGA, and I also have a custom 4-port SCART switcher that has a VGA connector on the end of it (which connects to my monitor) that I use with my other RGB capable game systems (NES, SNES, N64, etc). I plan to make my own Amiga to SCART cable , so I was wondering, will the RGB connector on the SX32 carry the audio? Or do I have to get the audio from the RCA jacks on the back of the CD32 itself? Or will a 23-pin Amiga RGB to VGA adapter work?

As far as WHDLoad, what custom menu do you reccommend (I really don't want to have to deal with the workbench interface)? I really just want to use this system strictly for gaming, and hopefully be able to just turn the system on and select games as easily as possible (hopefully through the controller on the CD32)?

I have been going here : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/
And from there I have been downloading the Pre-installed WHDLoad packs. Do I also need the .lha files from http://www.whdload.de ?

Anyone have any answers to the above?
Old 08 February 2010, 11:06   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I was wondering, will the RGB connector on the SX32 carry the audio?
Of course not.

Quote:
Or do I have to get the audio from the RCA jacks on the back of the CD32 itself?
Yes you'll have to do that.

Quote:
Or will a 23-pin Amiga RGB to VGA adapter work?
There is no audio on a 23-pin Amiga RGB connector. All VGA adapters I've seen have no audio. Where are you going to send your audio to? Multisync monitors rarely have speakers.

Quote:
As far as WHDLoad, what custom menu do you reccommend?
Personally I think they are all rubbish. They don't cache properly. That said, everyone swears by iGame

Quote:
I have been going here : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/
And from there I have been downloading the Pre-installed WHDLoad packs. Do I also need the .lha files from http://www.whdload.de ?
For each game? No. They are inside each of the archives downloaded from whdownload.com. All you need is the main WHDload user installation and probably one or two OS patches. (Such as the latest version of Installer).

But all this will come clear when you actually try using your CD32 instead of just drooling over it
Old 10 February 2010, 05:26   #23
RGB_Gamer

Cool. Last question. Rebel-CD32 said that for running games on the CD32/SX32, the VGA port won't work. Is this true? Is the VGA port on the SX32 only for applications or? Am I limited to using the 23 pin RGB port for games? My Mitsubishi 37" 15khz/31khz monitor does have speakers

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 10 February 2010 at 05:37.
Old 10 February 2010, 09:48   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Rebel-CD32 said that for running games on the CD32/SX32, the VGA port won't work.
He's kinda correct. The VGA port on SX32 is not a scandoubler. When playing games it has a 15KHz video output incompatible with most VGA monitors. But this doesn't matter if you have a 15KHz capable monitor.

Quote:
Am I limited to using the 23 pin RGB port for games?
AFAIK the 23-pin RGB port and the VGA port on the SX32 are identical. They are wired to the same connections inside the CD32. They are just different shaped connectors so you do not need an adapter.

Quote:
My Mitsubishi 37" 15khz/31khz monitor does have speakers
But the audio in is not via the VGA connector surely?
Old 10 February 2010, 10:12   #25
RGB_Gamer

Hmm, interesting. &lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Well on my monitor, it has BNC connectors (in which case I use a BNC to VGA adapter). My monitor supports 15khz and 31khz and has RCA audio input jacks. For my RGB game systems (NES, SNES, N64, etc). I use a 4-way SCART to VGA switcher. I got a keyboard (amiga 4000) and mouse for the system. I am just waiting on the CF to Amiga adapter + 4gb CF card from ebay. <br />
<br />
I had a chance to play the 444 and 888 compilations that I got from , but I can't find the others (I think there is a 200, and 350). Can you conceivably play any A500/A1200 without the SX32 (or other expansions)if you know how to make a bootable CD32 CD? Does the extra RAM/CPU power help performance with playing games? Also in these compilations, once you start a game, how do you exit the game to the menu (or do you have to reset the whole system)? Are most games 1 button? Anyone know of a website with game instructions (tried Gamefaqs already).

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 11 February 2010 at 12:49.
Old 25 February 2010, 10:25   #26
RGB_Gamer

Ok I bought a CF to IDE adapter/4gb CF card with Workbench 3.1 installed. I have successfully installed it on my SX32 MKII and it boots up fine with my CD32, but now how do I install WHDLoad? Is it some how possible to install WHDLoad and games via CD (So I don't have to keep opening up the CD32 to install games)? Also, how do I restore an HDF file to a hard drive (or in my case, a compact flash card)?

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 25 February 2010 at 15:35.
Old 01 March 2010, 10:28   #27
RGB_Gamer

I got my CD32 with SX32 to work on my RGB/VGA monitor through the VGA port. I downloaded an HDF that had workbench 3.1 setup, but on my monitor, it looks like this:

on my regular TV, the colors are all bleeding. Any ideas?
Old 01 March 2010, 10:56   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Just use the monitor settings. Look for MOIRE and after adjustment it will look fine.
Old 01 March 2010, 11:08   #29
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Just use the monitor settings. Look for MOIRE and after adjustment it will look fine.

I actually ended up going to workbench ->settings ->prefs ->display->screenmode and setting it to NTSC: high resolution

It doesn't cover the full screen. Should I manually set it to 640 X 480 instead of the default 644 X 204 ?

Now as far as WHDLoad games, how do I install the ones you get from www.whdload.de to the hard drive (in my case, compact flash)? Perhaps it can be done via CD some way without having to take out the CF card?

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 01 March 2010 at 11:25.
Old 01 March 2010, 23:49   #30
th4t1guy

Quote:
Perhaps it can be done via CD some way without having to take out the CF card?
That cd drive is a 2x, so things will go fairly slow if you're planning on writing a lot of data. If you have a flash reader on a PC, I'd recommend doing all your file transfers there first.

I also had a problem getting OS3.9 to recognize the cd device properly. I had to use a custom cd.device, and even after that, drag'n'drop from workbench wouldn't work (other programs and command line could access the drive fine though). I'm curious if you've seen the same problem on your setup.
Old 02 March 2010, 01:10   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'm sure if your CD drive reads CDRW discs then you can just "drag and drop" in workbench. Just remember that the READ ONLY flag will be set.

Remember to use Rockridge format when burning your CD for long filenames. (Or a later CDFS in Workbench which understands Joliet.)
Old 02 March 2010, 01:35   #32
th4t1guy

The cd32 drive does not support cd-rw unfortunately.
Old 02 March 2010, 04:17   #33
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
The cd32 drive does not support cd-rw unfortunately.
I have no problem burning to CD-R. I initially want to just transfer stuff to my CF card using WinUAE like I have, then I will put it back my my CD32/SX32 and seal it all up. If I want to update, I just don't want to have to open the thing back up, so if there is a way to transfer from CD to CF/HDD, that would be great.

A guy told me that it was possible to burn a bunch of ADF disk images to CD, and then transfer from CD to floppy disk (I have been thinking of getting a floppy disk drive for my setup). Anyone know how? And what is a good external floppy disk drive for my setup? Will any external floppy drive work ? A guy locally has an Amiga 1010 drive, so I wanted to know if that would work.

th4t1guy,

I have Workbench 3.1 (many people suggested this is best for my CD32/SX32 setup), and I do transfers to my CF card with WinUAE, so I don't have the kind of probs that you have.
Old 02 March 2010, 10:21   #34
RGB_Gamer

Ok I got my CD32/SX32 MKII set up. I copied the contents of a friend's HDF (he set up his A1200 with WHDload) file onto the DH0 partition of my CF card.
For setting things up before putting my CF card in my SX32, I use it with WinUAE. When I start up WinUAE, I check the box in the Hard drives section called, "Add PC drives at startup", so I can see my PC HDD when starting up work bench.

I don't know if this is the correct way to install WHDLoad games, but I just drag and drop from the PC hard drive to one of my larger partitions on my DH2 partition (1.9gb). Every time I run a WHDLoad game, I get this error:

DOS-Error #205
(object not found)
on reading "devs:kickstarts/kick34005.a500".

I have the version 16.8 of WHDload, and my SX32 has 8mb fastram

what can I do to get games to work?
Old 02 March 2010, 10:57   #35
zipper

You need to find A500 kickstart file, rename it and put it into devs:kickstarts.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:16   #36
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
You need to find A500 kickstart file, rename it and put it into devs:kickstarts.
As far as I read somewhere else, the correct file:

Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom

Needs to be named to: kick34005.A500

I did this and put it in the devs:kickstarts along with kick34005.A500.PAT and kick34005.A500.RTB

I still get that error when trying to run castlevania. Funny thing is, I don't get the error when running WinUAE, but I do when running it with my CD32/SX32