English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 January 2015, 22:58   #21
midwan

Just for the record: There is a port of OpenSSH available (http://amiga.sourceforge.net/?showpackage=OpenSSH) but it's only the client, not the server.

As you can tell, most people use the inverse scenario that what you described (i.e. Amiga is the client, remote machine is the server).

Amiga Explorer is one option as mentioned above, but for me at least it has always been painfully slow and rather unstable (on the PC side) to work with it reliably. I ended up using SMBFS on the Amiga side to connect to my NAS which has SMB shares.

You can also setup Samba as a server on the Amiga, the latest versions available on Aminet (see: http://aminet.net/search?query=samba) should still work with modern clients from Windows, OS X and Linux boxes.
Old 22 January 2015, 23:02   #22
gazj82

I use smb (windows) shares.

I use the following script

Code:
stack 65536
run >nil: smbfs volume=PC workgroup=workgroup user=gary password=password service=//192.168.1.10/amiga
Old 26 January 2015, 17:12   #23
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwan View Post
Just for the record: There is a port of OpenSSH available (http://amiga.sourceforge.net/?showpackage=OpenSSH) but it's only the client, not the server.
Yeah, OpenSSH would be really lovely. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwan View Post
Amiga Explorer is one option as mentioned above, but for me at least it has always been painfully slow and rather unstable (on the PC side) to work with it reliably. I ended up using SMBFS on the Amiga side to connect to my NAS which has SMB shares.

You can also setup Samba as a server on the Amiga, the latest versions available on Aminet (see: http://aminet.net/search?query=samba) should still work with modern clients from Windows, OS X and Linux boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazj82 View Post
I use smb (windows) shares.

I use the following script

Code:
stack 65536
run >nil: smbfs volume=PC workgroup=workgroup user=gary password=password service=//192.168.1.10/amiga
Samba would be ideal due to three-way compatiblity between Windows, Linux, OSX and the Amiga.

However, our beloved Apple has recently messed-up Samba on OSX. I can mount and browse the Amiga shares from Linux, but I cannot on OX due to some Apple forcing SMB2 in latest OSX releases. Even if I force OSX to use SMB1, for some reason it cannot authenticate to the Samba server on the Amiga.

Last edited by eva; 26 January 2015 at 17:27.
Old 26 January 2015, 17:13   #24
eva

The problem is solved. I got FTP to work correctly (see first post). Thanks for the help!
Old 27 January 2015, 16:25   #25
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
Samba would be ideal due to three-way compatiblity between Windows, Linux, OSX and the Amiga.

However, our beloved Apple has recently messed-up Samba on OSX. I can mount and browse the Amiga shares from Linux, but I cannot on OX due to some Apple forcing SMB2 in latest OSX releases. Even if I force OSX to use SMB1, for some reason it cannot authenticate to the Samba server on the Amiga.
Yep, and Microsoft also messed it up in Windows 7, so that only leaves older OS installs and Linux as fully compatible with the Amiga implementation of SMBFS. Oh well, glad you got sorted anyway!
Old 27 January 2015, 19:01   #26
gazj82

I don't have a share on my amiga machine, I connect to a share on my linux machine.

The script above mounts a share on my linux machine called amiga, under the device name "PC:" on my amiga.
Old 07 April 2017, 21:33   #27
Mathesar

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
The problem is solved. I got FTP to work correctly (see first post). Thanks for the help!
I recently pulled my A3000 out of storage. I used it until 2003 or so as my main computer. However I couldn't get my PC to connect to it using Samba. Like you said, Windows 7 doesn't like the old Amiga Samba version.

So, I had no way to transfer any files back and forth to my beloved miggy.
But, your post helped me out . I can now connect to my old miggy again over FTP

One note though, I run AmigaOS 3.9 with Genesis and that one didn't have a default user "amiga" set up. So, for users with Genesis: You will have to setup the user AND A GROUP in Genesis!

Kudos!

Mathesar
Old 02 May 2020, 19:54   #28
avantgarden

This is still useful in 2020!

Got it work on an A600... But too heavy for the machine! And too many config files needed.

Thank you sir.

--- edit ----

This FTPD:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/mlftpd_14

which is shipped with AmiTCP 4 and compatible with v3
will happily "comply" with any modern FileZilla client by simply changing

SERVERTYPE to HP NONSTOP under the "Advanced" tab! (don't ask me why!)

Also, the "ls" command MUST reside in C:

Cheers,
AvantGarden

Last edited by avantgarden; 02 May 2020 at 22:28. Reason: added workaround