Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 May 2023, 13:55   #21
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Maybe he didn't enjoy them ?
Old 24 May 2023, 14:05   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Obviously you don't like RPG or strategy games? Shame because there are a great many great Amiga titles in those two genres.

I'm surprised given the other games in your list you didn't like Pinball Fantasies etc.
Old 24 May 2023, 14:10   #23
acidbottle

Yes, was referring to the fact some non action games did appear on the list, so assumed it was not action exclusive.

Id certainly rate ICFTD over Rocket Ranger everyday of the week BUT, as I say, these sorts of lists are very subjective!
Old 24 May 2023, 14:18   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
...BUT, as I say, these sorts of lists are very subjective!
Old 24 May 2023, 14:47   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I've said that in my first reply...
Old 24 May 2023, 14:59   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I've said that in my first reply...
Yes, but since then people might have missed it
Old 24 May 2023, 16:06   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

You mentioned Gods and some of my games (Pacman) so I'll keep talking to you

If you liked my ports, I suggest that you try Scramble & Xevious too. I know almost all the games you're quoting and yes, they're all darn good, even if some I could NEVER get into (Killing Game Show). I get attracted by them but when I try them I don't even get the point... Then I forget and try again... Guess what the result is ?

What happened to WeaselFierce 'play all amiga games and review' project BTW?

Last edited by jotd; 24 May 2023 at 16:19.
Old 24 May 2023, 16:10   #28
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Yes it is all very subjective but surprised to see no Defender of the Crown, UFO Enemy Unknown or It Came from the Desert!

Nice list on the whole though.
Thanks. I thought about putting Defender of the Crown on there because I enjoyed it as a child and to celebrate Jim Sachs. I really like the smooth animation of Defender of the Crown 2. Now It Came from the Desert I actually did mean to put on there so consider that 304. I'm thinking of putting the list on Reddit in a few days so I will add that and maybe Gee Bee Air Rally and a few others I overlooked.
Old 24 May 2023, 16:17   #29
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Obviously you don't like RPG or strategy games? Shame because there are a great many great Amiga titles in those two genres.

I'm surprised given the other games in your list you didn't like Pinball Fantasies etc.
Yes, I appreciate the 21st Century Pinball games but this is definitely where the subjectivity comes into play because I've never been too fond of pinball overall. I did include Slam Tilt because that one looks so good.
Old 24 May 2023, 16:17   #30
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Couple of Puzzle type games I might include. Loops and MegaloMania.

Glad to see Bubble Dizzy - never seems to get a mention.
Old 24 May 2023, 16:47   #31
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This is where topic like this have no meaning, as they are individual preferred list.

I always hated 'top 10' games per system in Retro Inspection as quite often is quite insulting that they did not pick my favorite games!
Old 24 May 2023, 16:52   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I always hated 'top 10' games per system in Retro Inspection as quite often is quite insulting that they did not pick my favorite games!
"How dare you to have not the same opinion as me!"

The older I get the harder it is to come up with any 'top' list. I either like stuff or I don't. There are games that are similar and then I can say which one I like more, but it's so tedious to come up with an ordered list that isn't completely different the next day
Old 24 May 2023, 21:01   #33
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
I did try both 1 and 2 and didn't really like them outside of the cool intro animation. I must say I might be bias because I was always a Mario Lemieux fan so it was always 66 over 99 for me!

Haha, I see! I have to admit I asked partly because it says "Toronto" under your profile name The other reason is that we played both games to death as teenagers, it was the best thing we'd yet seen and great fun in two-player mode. It doesn't look like much but the gameplay is pretty darn solid compared to all other hockey games in the eighties!
Old 24 May 2023, 21:24   #34
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500 View Post
Haha, I see! I have to admit I asked partly because it says "Toronto" under your profile name The other reason is that we played both games to death as teenagers, it was the best thing we'd yet seen and great fun in two-player mode. It doesn't look like much but the gameplay is pretty darn solid compared to all other hockey games in the eighties!
Nice. My favourite hockey game came in 1991, TV Sports Hockey, ironically I think the only Cinemaware game not released for the Amiga. It was on the Turbo Grafx 16 and you could play up to 5 people at once which made for a great time.
Old 24 May 2023, 21:39   #35
Megalomaniac

Another actiony one I forgot to ask about was Indianapolis 500, which is at least as action-oriented as F1GP which you did mention. Try it on an accelerated config or at least with the detail minimised though, like most solid 3D games it doesn't feel that fast by today's standards on a 68000
Old 24 May 2023, 22:27   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
The older I get the harder it is to come up with any 'top' list.
I like the act of listing 303 games though. To heck with top 10's!

Maybe we should continue breaking norms by following the good example set here and talk about what we actually enjoy for a change rather than going on about best this, worst that.
Old 24 May 2023, 22:47   #37
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Another actiony one I forgot to ask about was Indianapolis 500, which is at least as action-oriented as F1GP which you did mention. Try it on an accelerated config or at least with the detail minimised though, like most solid 3D games it doesn't feel that fast by today's standards on a 68000
That was another one that could have easily made the list. I think I decided to just keep F1GP as they are similar and F1GP (or World Circuit here in Canada) is the one I had as a kid.
Old 24 May 2023, 23:12   #38
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I like the act of listing 303 games though. To heck with top 10's!

Maybe we should continue breaking norms by following the good example set here and talk about what we actually enjoy for a change rather than going on about best this, worst that.
Yeah I think it's a good sign for the Amiga that most people are saying you could have added (blank) rather than how could you have added (blank)?
Old 24 May 2023, 23:14   #39
jotd
This cat is no more

This list is interesting for me because I recognize a lot of good games, so the games that I don't know from that list could interest me.
Old 25 May 2023, 15:03   #40
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionagony View Post
Nice. My favourite hockey game came in 1991, TV Sports Hockey, ironically I think the only Cinemaware game not released for the Amiga. It was on the Turbo Grafx 16 and you could play up to 5 people at once which made for a great time.

What, they made a hockey game as well? I need to check this out immediately!