English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2023, 17:38   #21
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Great stuff! So which Nightly build do I need to get this all working?
Also any news on the graphics glitches issues on Workbench? Anything being done for the Elbox Mediator setups?
This is a preview of the RC2 release, it can be gotten on the discord channels only for now, since it is still in testing phase. It will be out very shortly, since it seems to be working great.

Sorry, don't know the status for the Elbox Mediator setups, since don't think any of the developers have that.

Do come around the discord channel and mention the problems. Workbench graphics glitches were present a while ago but haven't heard of anyone having those problems for months.
Old 28 September 2023, 17:41   #22
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
This is a preview of the RC2 release, it can be gotten on the discord channels only for now, since it is still in testing phase.
The RC2 branch is also on GitHub:
https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68/tree/RC2
Old 28 September 2023, 19:41   #23
eXeler0

RBPi 5 is coming soon ;-)
Old 28 September 2023, 21:52   #24
pandy71

Preliminary RPi5 benchmarks shows 2..3 times higher performance than RPi4.
https://www.phoronix.com/review/rasp...i-5-benchmarks
Old 29 September 2023, 00:10   #25
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Really? As the last update I tried (20230901) certainly did have them. Others have had them too.. have had to stick with (20230711) as that for the moment is the sweet spot with no glitches and no issues with Elbox mediator and cards..
Other have had to resort to the same version even without a Mediator and external graphics card…
Oh dude, those others need to get on the discord and get those bugs fixed. So much progress in the last couple of weeks it's inspiring.
Old 29 September 2023, 16:10   #26
klx300r

Thumbs up

Great to see the improvement on chip speed issues and general compatibility I'm loving my PiStorm32 with 3A+
Old 30 September 2023, 00:01   #27
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The RPi 5 us due out soon. It's supposed to be about twice the performance of the Pi4, though I don't know if that's single core performance (probably not). But either way, if it works, or can be made to work with the Pistorm/Emu68...

Beast.
Old 30 September 2023, 00:11   #28
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
The RPi 5 us due out soon. It's supposed to be about twice the performance of the Pi4, though I don't know if that's single core performance (probably not). But either way, if it works, or can be made to work with the Pistorm/Emu68...

Beast.
We're hoping so. Currently with the little knowledge we have, it's 50/50 whether or not it will be fast enough, ironically.

The layout will almost certainly mean that the current PiStorm boards won't fit. And then there's the heat - needs active cooling (but that's not so bad, an overclocked Pi4 also needs it). The power draw might kill the Amiga.

We're currently waiting to see what we get when they're released.
Old 30 September 2023, 00:30   #29
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
We're hoping so. Currently with the little knowledge we have, it's 50/50 whether or not it will be fast enough, ironically.

The layout will almost certainly mean that the current PiStorm boards won't fit. And then there's the heat - needs active cooling (but that's not so bad, an overclocked Pi4 also needs it). The power draw might kill the Amiga.

We're currently waiting to see what we get when they're released.
Regarding the power draw, I remember these problems with the BlizzPPC/BVision. Even before moving to a tower, I'd added a second power feed into the 1200 that fed the drives directly and also the motherboard via the floppy power header on the motherboard. Never had any power issues after that
Old 30 September 2023, 11:44   #30
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

From the FAQ here:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-5

Quote:
Can I use a Raspberry Pi 4 power supply with the Raspberry Pi 5?
Yes, however this will limit the current available to USB ports/devices. We recommend customers use the Raspberry Pi 27W USB-C power supply.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspbe...c-power-supply
Old 30 September 2023, 15:43   #31
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The PiStorm with Pi4 is already pushing the 68K envelope hard. It would be interesting to see what a Pi5 manages with things like the lightwave test people were chucking around before.
Old 30 September 2023, 19:17   #32
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
The PiStorm with Pi4 is already pushing the 68K envelope hard. It would be interesting to see what a Pi5 manages with things like the lightwave test people were chucking around before.
Indeed....

A CM4 clocked to 2.3Ghz under CaffieneOS runs AIBB Beachball in 0.05 seconds with 040 settings.
Old 30 September 2023, 19:56   #33
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Indeed....

A CM4 clocked to 2.3Ghz under CaffieneOS runs AIBB Beachball in 0.05 seconds with 040 settings.
What overclock settings (voltage specifically) do you need to use to get 2.3 Ghz out ? I don't want to kill it with extreme overvoltage. I am at 7 now for 2.2 Ghz.
Old 01 October 2023, 09:40   #34
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Disclaimer......

Following anything written below is entirely done at the users own risk.

Also please note, this example is using a CM4 Module on a Michal Schulz carrier board with rear break out board fitted & utilising an RTC module.
This board hangs under the PiStorm32 Lite board & for this fact, favours larger Heatsink fan possibilities in an Amiga A1200 Desktop.

Here's my Purple 32Lite!

The voltage tweaks will still work with conventional Pi3A+ & Pi4B boards. You will require active cooling to keep temperatures down. Highest I've seen is 36DegC after several hours of use with a component safe use threshold of 85DegC before self throttling.

Quote:
What overclock settings (voltage specifically) do you need to use to get 2.3 Ghz out ? I don't want to kill it with extreme overvoltage. I am at 7 now for 2.2 Ghz.
These are the default numbers from CaffieneOS 9.22 CONFIG.txt

Quote:
#-Overclock-#
##Enable the options below to increase speed of RPi4 ARM cpu to 2.3GHz
#arm_freq=2200
#over_voltage=9
#force_turbo=1
I just removed the relevant Hash-TAG's, dialed in 2300 & benched it's ass!

2400 was unstable & only booted to desktop & anything over 9 on the over_voltage wouldn't let it get to desktop again.

I do have a heatsink & fan fitted though which I acquired from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeeekPi-Alu...st_sto_dp&th=1

Check out the Pi Store on Amazon....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Geee...8?ref_=ast_bln

Don't also forget, no two pieces of Silicon are identiacal & mileages will vary. - The higher you go on an overclock, the steeper the curve becomes.
If you can do 2.2Ghz on "over_voltage=7", you may get better than my Pi having to bang 9.

Over @ Tom's Hardware, they've pushed the Pi4 to 2.8Ghz with a Peltier. - <---- Strictly not for the faint hearted or noob over-clocker. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...00-accelerator

Also over @ the same gaff, they've pushed the Pi5 to 3Ghz core & 1.1Ghz on the Video core.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 01 October 2023 at 11:40.
Old 01 October 2023, 11:56   #35
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Yes, with overvoltage it works, thanx, but temperature goes UP 2.2 Ghz at 40 deg.celc. is good enough for me
Old 01 October 2023, 12:15   #36
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Yes, with overvoltage it works, thanx, but temperature goes UP 2.2 Ghz at 40 deg.celc. is good enough for me
Isn't it just & really....

With a CM4 Module @ 2.3Ghz & running almost 2000 times fater than a Stock A1200, do you really need more?
Old 02 October 2023, 14:19   #37
VladR

Quote:
The RPi 5 us due out soon. It's supposed to be about twice the performance of the Pi4, though I don't know if that's single core performance (probably not).
Yeah, unfortunately, those estimates are for all 4 cores (e.g. it's added up).

Single-core A76 is estimated to be merely 25% faster (and that's still counting apples with tractors as it's combined Integer+Floating-Point performance).

Do we know if Emu68k is using multithreading (e.g. running on all 4 cores)? I can imagine it's quite non-trivial to implement proper multithreading across all 4 cores without heavy synchronization (e.g. burning through performance) after each batch of instructions on each core.

But, perhaps ARM's HW pipelining is more predictable? I only coded RISC assembly for Jaguar , so don't know
Old 03 October 2023, 02:11   #38
MartinW

It uses multiple cores, but not in a traditional multithreaded sense. It's basically single core with an additional core for housekeeping duties and optionally a 3rd core for debugging.

[EDIT] Never mind my RPi5 incompatibility comment, it's already been covered.
Old 03 October 2023, 13:47   #39
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
It uses multiple cores, but not in a traditional multithreaded sense. It's basically single core with an additional core for housekeeping duties and optionally a 3rd core for debugging.
Thank you! That means, that eventually, once all major bugs get fixed, there's a chance for a significant RTG speed-up.

I wish I had more time these days. I genuinely love multithreaded coding and this would be right up my alley...
Old 03 October 2023, 15:45   #40
alcomatt

This are all great news and the future for pistorm looks bright!