English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 July 2010, 09:53   #21
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yes and that's why I've written 'So it's not'. Info on the news page of the NatAmi site is a tad sparse and I don't follow the forum tbh. Hence I didn't know in which stage the 68050 was/is. Just wondered why this question (extensions for ther 68050) appears now that it 'approaches final' and not before. That's all.

Probably because they`ve been quite busy up to now, and don`t want to sit around doing nothing until the KS is ready. I remember a year ago these extra features were discussed in the devs forums.

And agreed about the info page - it`s updated far too rarely.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:54   #22
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitoker View Post
Anyone here up to that task? Sadly Gunnar seems to think that such tweaks can be hacked together in a week
Bahaha, I just died laughing. Günni and "one week", a neverending story... I see that some things just never change...

Quote:
he is a game-coder clueless wannabe programmer
FIXED!

Last edited by StingRay; 22 July 2010 at 10:22.
Old 22 July 2010, 21:04   #23
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Returning to the original topic, some SMP capabilities would be cool (and probably easier to implement than a SIMD instruction set).
Old 22 July 2010, 21:29   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

So if the '050' is nearing release... How about some timing reports (maximum clock speed) for various FPGA devices?

Coupled with the resource usage within them?

And their prices today?

You see some strange posts on the NatAmi website saying things like "if we ran the 050@100MHz" WTF?? This will require an FPGA which doesn't exist yet and when it does exist will cost the usual £4000 each in their first year of release.
Old 24 July 2010, 03:11   #25
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
So if the '050' is nearing release... How about some timing reports (maximum clock speed) for various FPGA devices?
These things are being discussed in the devs forum, which is off limits to non-members, so I`m not at liberty to discuss details. But it`s still being optimised, with good results, and most op-codes will execute in 1 clock.

Quote:
Coupled with the resource usage within them?
Presently the enhanced chip-set and the `050 soft-core fit inside, as well as a lot of 3D processing. Well, it`s being shoehorned in as I understand it, but that`s okay as long as it works...

Quote:
And their prices today?
I`m a coder, dammit, not a marketing type !

Anyway, prices very much depend on volume, but nowhere near what you quote below. You must be exaggerating to give weight to your argument - and quite wildly too...

Quote:
You see some strange posts on the NatAmi website saying things like "if we ran the 050@100MHz" WTF?? This will require an FPGA which doesn't exist yet and when it does exist will cost the usual £4000 each in their first year of release.
The posts are near enough, f.x. the Cyclone is rated at 250MHz. Check here. In fact you should have done that before writing such fud ! Do you really think that anybody in their right mind would even consider building a retro platform, based on those prices and on non-existent chips? Come on, try to be reasonable !
Old 24 July 2010, 03:21   #26
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post

FIXED!

I`ll pretend I didn`t see that !

During this past year, the man has not only been working on the soft-core, but also on a pretty cool scrolling shooter, called "194x" - so not clueless at all.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. The only game I ever wrote, was called "chazer", and some of my friends called it "a crap game" - all the Amiga mags ignored it too - though my GF at the time loved it. On the other hand, a silly currency converter I hacked up out of boredom, was picked from aminet by a mag, who gave it a pretty good review. Go figure...

Last edited by midnitoker; 24 July 2010 at 03:32.
Old 24 July 2010, 06:10   #27
Hewitson

If I could code like StingRay, I am sure I would think he is useless too :P
Old 24 July 2010, 08:24   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
...but also on a pretty cool scrolling shooter, called "194x" - so not clueless at all.
I know I'm a bit of the OT man here, but any more info about that? I gathered that it's a port and it's aimed for the NatAmi, right? Any place to find more info (or even see something from the game)?
Old 24 July 2010, 10:09   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I`ll pretend I didn`t see that !
You may pretend that you didn't see it but it doesn't change my opinion about Günni! Worst pretender I've ever met, pretends to know everything when in fact he has no clue at all. Yes, someone who claims he can disassemble and fix the Kickstart in one week (among countless other things) is a clueless wannabe programmer for me! Go and ask him some REAL programming questions, you might be in for a surprise!
Old 05 August 2010, 10:00   #30
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You may pretend that you didn't see it but it doesn't change my opinion about Günni! Worst pretender I've ever met, pretends to know everything when in fact he has no clue at all. Yes, someone who claims he can disassemble and fix the Kickstart in one week (among countless other things) is a clueless wannabe programmer for me! Go and ask him some REAL programming questions, you might be in for a surprise!
like..... What does "move.l $bfe001, d0 ; btst d0,1" do? :look

Now, this is a big if, but _IF_ I remember correctly, it test if you've pressed the LMB.....

*whistles innocently*

For real... hwat I'ld like to see, is something akin to the unreleased AAA-chipset, beefed up to run at 250MHz, with a matching CPU.... chipmem "unlimited" but starting at 256 MB expandable to at least 2GB, and using an old wintel-trick (mem paging), at least 16GB adressable fastmem

What? I just want a modern-ish hardware Amiga with little to no backwards caompatability to AGA/ECS/OCS