English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2017, 05:10   #21
dalek

Might be time to try a different Access Point and see if you have the same issues. I check the guide for you modem and it doesn't look like there is a way of locking it to TKIP only.

Have you tried setting it to WPA only (not WPA+WPA2)? It might be falling over on the handshakes.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:01   #22
idrougge

Change to WEP and you won't have any more problems.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:10   #23
chocsplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Might be time to try a different Access Point and see if you have the same issues. I check the guide for you modem and it doesn't look like there is a way of locking it to TKIP only.

Have you tried setting it to WPA only (not WPA+WPA2)? It might be falling over on the handshakes.
Hi,
I don't really want to buy another router until I've made sure, as much as possible, that it's not the card.

Switching to WPA only hasn't worked as I'm now getting errors on Wirelessmanager.

It says Try to find WPA-enabled AP
Picks up my router
but the fails with : skip RSN IE - key mgmt mismatch followed by skip WPA IE - key mgmt mismatch

I have also installed AmiTCP from the Youtube video, I followed it right up until the YouTuber edited their wireless.prefs file and then hit a brick wall. They are using WEP and I am using WPA, so I can't use their settings (the keys would be wrong anyway) and I don't know what to put in the wireless.prefs file to use WEP. I don't really want to use WEP in anycase as its not very secure.

I have also added cardpatch, and cardreset to my startup-sequence just in case these problems were caused by the A1200 card reset bug. Sadly these had no effect and I still cannot connect. I can ping the loop back and the Amiga, but pinging the router or anything outside the router (like 8.8.8.8) fails.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:23   #24
idrougge

If you changed settings on the router, try to reset your config file as well:
[/code]
network={
ssid="PlusnetWirelessxxxxxx"
psk="your password in plaintext with quotes"
}
[/code]
Old 27 January 2017, 12:20   #25
dalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsplease View Post

It says Try to find WPA-enabled AP
Picks up my router
but the fails with : skip RSN IE - key mgmt mismatch followed by skip WPA IE - key mgmt mismatch
I'm pretty sure this means there is still an incompatible encryption. When you changed it to WPA only did the cipher stay as "TKIP&AES" or did it change to "TKIP"?

WPA+AES isn't really standard - it came out later. Maybe the router doesn't have the option of disabling AES? You could ask Technicolour maybe?

But yeah as said above try WEP to prove it's not a hardware issue and beg/borrow/steal an Access Point that allows only WPA+TKIP to confirm.
Old 27 January 2017, 17:31   #26
chocsplease

Many thanks for the replies, I'll work through the ideas and let you know how I get on. In the meantime I have established that it is an authentication issue. If I disable security completely on the router and Amiga I can connect and ping 8.8.8.8 etc. Obviously I'm not going to keep my router with zero security so its for now back at WPA-PSK.

It also looks like I can't add a guest network easily - there are sugestions that Telnet commands might work on the Plusnet web but all the links are down.

What routers do other folk use?
Old 27 January 2017, 19:15   #27
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Change to WEP and you won't have any more problems.
Other than people hacking your wifi! WEP is broken.
Old 28 January 2017, 18:28   #28
chocsplease

OK.
For my own interest I had a go with WEP. Changing to 64 bit WEP allows me to ping 8.8.8.8, the router and my ISPs DNS server.
However DNS is not working ping www.google.com gives unknown name and AWeb can't locate www.google.co.uk so I still have problems even using WEP.

As mentioned before I don't want to use WEP its not secure so I think I have bought a dud. I'm disappointed that the Amiga Kit page does not state that the card will not work with WPA as I feel this is important with so many hacks going around. Oh well.
Old 28 January 2017, 20:27   #29
powrslave
A1200

Get one from Sir_lucas

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81915
Old 07 February 2017, 17:55   #30
chocsplease

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
Many thanks for the reply, sadly it arrived after I had purchased a new card from ebay (this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WLAN-Netzw...8AAOSwll1WxkJh ) Which is supposed to have been flashed for WPA. Well it may have been but the damn thing won't scan for any wifi networks

wirelessmanager prism2.device verobose

just hangs at the point it tries to scan, unlike the previous card which finds the networks but then fails to authenticate with them.

The new card is a Thompson SpeedTouch 110.
How can I get it to scan for wireless networks?

Do I have yet another dud? This is getting very tiresome
Old 07 February 2017, 20:45   #31
Nobby_UK

I had one of those, until I updated my router (WPA2 + AES)
and it no-longer worked .

Got a D-Link Air DWL-650 and Flashed it to WPA2 (with help from Sir Lucas)
Would have flashed the other card if I could have found the files for it.

I have a Spare you can borrow for testing ?
Old 08 February 2017, 01:02   #32
idrougge

Does it hang totally?
Old 08 February 2017, 03:00   #33
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsplease View Post
Many thanks for the reply, sadly it arrived after I had purchased a new card from ebay (this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WLAN-Netzw...8AAOSwll1WxkJh ) Which is supposed to have been flashed for WPA. Well it may have been but the damn thing won't scan for any wifi networks

wirelessmanager prism2.device verobose

just hangs at the point it tries to scan, unlike the previous card which finds the networks but then fails to authenticate with them.

The new card is a Thompson SpeedTouch 110.
How can I get it to scan for wireless networks?

Do I have yet another dud? This is getting very tiresome
I think you need to run CardReset before the wirelessmanager command, add it to your network start script or S/Startup-Sequence, some PCMCIA cards require it.

Last edited by modrobert; 08 February 2017 at 03:11. Reason: My mistake, it was 'cardreset', not 'cardpatch'.
Old 08 February 2017, 05:03   #34
chocsplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
I had one of those, until I updated my router (WPA2 + AES)
and it no-longer worked .

Got a D-Link Air DWL-650 and Flashed it to WPA2 (with help from Sir Lucas)
Would have flashed the other card if I could have found the files for it.

I have a Spare you can borrow for testing ?
Many thanks for the offer, I've been doing a lot of reading to try and get these cards to work and one of the things I've discovered is that using a b type 11bps card could nerf my network to that speed for all my devices. Not sure how true that is, but its not something I really want so I'm starting to wonder if a pip might be a better way to go. Still not sure, I'll pm with address details to try your spare as a test. Once again thank you its a very helpful suggestion and I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Does it hang totally?
The Amiga does not crash, I can still ctrl c out of wireless manager, but the output stops after these 3 lines

Starting AP scan for wildcard SSID
EAPOL: disable timer tick
EAPOL: Supplicant port status: Unauthorized

Output then stops the cards data light does not flash and the only thing I can now do is ctrl c out of wireless manager. I still have full mouse control and can run other programmes. If you look back to when I was trying the previous card you'll see that wirelessmanager continued to output a lot more, but the card would not authorise on my router. It looks like this card new card wont scan for networks at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I think you need to run CardReset before the wirelessmanager command, add it to your network start script or S/Startup-Sequence, some PCMCIA cards require it.
Many thanks for the suggestion, I've tried this, but sadly it had no effect.

Last edited by chocsplease; 09 February 2017 at 10:40. Reason: correct spelling an typos
Old 08 February 2017, 05:36   #35
dalek

I assume you mean plipbox? Don't bother (if you have an A1200 w/ PCMCIA of course). They are great for 68k systems but much much slower than a PCMCIA card.

The new card you bought - don't bother with it. Even if it works it only supports WPA/TKIP same as your old one so if you even get that far you'll end up at the same dead end.

Better to find a WPA2 compatible PCMCIA card as powrslave suggested.
Old 08 February 2017, 12:28   #36
idrougge

Your new card apparently doesn't work. Contact the seller and let him sort it out.
Old 09 February 2017, 11:40   #37
chocsplease

Many thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I assume you mean plipbox? Don't bother (if you have an A1200 w/ PCMCIA of course). They are great for 68k systems but much much slower than a PCMCIA card.

The new card you bought - don't bother with it. Even if it works it only supports WPA/TKIP same as your old one so if you even get that far you'll end up at the same dead end.

Better to find a WPA2 compatible PCMCIA card as powrslave suggested.
Sorry yes I meant plipbox (it was late, I was tired) - didn't know they were slower, I mean the PCMCIA card's pretty slow as it is. As for the new card, well lets see. (below)

Quote:
Your new card apparently doesn't work. Contact the seller and let him sort it out.
I suspected that, I mean it should at least scan and not just sit there.

Anyway things have moved on a bit. I was chatting to my work’s IT guru yesterday (he’s an old Mac enthusiast) and I mentioned the problems I was having with these cards. He told me he might have something in the stores that would help. Two hours later he’s at my desk with something that looked like it had spent its entire life down a coal mine.

Cleaning this thing up revealed an EtherLink III wired PCMCIA card with the J45 dongle attached.

I found the driver on Aminet, plugged it in and now can connect to the internet. At last!

However I cannot browse

AWeb APL (version 3.5.08 beta) gurus with Software failure #8000000B when it tries to render from the web, local files are fine. I think 8000000B is a CPU trap, one of those extension codes. Last Alert says it’s a ACPU_LineF alert, Line 1111 Emulation Error. Does anyone know how I can debug this further? Snoopdos hasn’t helped.

Artur Jarosik’s 68K OS3.0 fork of Netsurf works and I can surf to say www.google.co.uk. However having displayed the page it goes mad and fills my hard drive with its cache (I have 20mb free and it wants all this and more). Changing the options to restrict the cache to say 8mb has no effect it still fills the HD (all 20mb) . Changing the cache to run on the RAM: has no effect it still fills the hard drive. Looks like this version is ignoring its prefs totally.

My Amiga is an A1200 with an 68030 ACA 1233n running at 40 mhz, and no FPU. I’M on Kickstart is V 40.68, os is ver 40.42, which I think is OS 3.1? not 3.0 as I thought.

Can anyone suggest why Aweb is crashing? Or can someone suggest another browser?

With regards to the cards, I’m in contact with the new one’s seller and I guess we will have to see.
Old 09 February 2017, 23:12   #38
Sir_Lucas

Hello, it seems you've gone through a lot of trouble to get your Amiga connected to the Internet.

Let me try to tidy up everything.

1. Both your WIFI PCMCIA cards support only WPA/TKIP. Neither Orinoco Gold nor Thomson Speedtouch 110 support WPA2.
Your router has to be set to WPA/TKIP only. B/G/N mode. If it's set to WPA/WPA2 - TKIP + AES then it will not work. Mixed mode does not work as well.
These cards simply don't support WPA2.

2. There are cards which work with WPA2/AES as powrslave suggested:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7yF340BwUM9z3bVBLW

3. EasyNet does not support DHCP and might be a bit tricky to set up.
4. Have you tried Ibrowse 2.4?
http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/download.php

There's also 68000 version of AWeb. Try it as well.
http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/AWeb-3.5.09-68000

If you have any questions regarding setting up WIFI connection feel free to ask. I'll gladly help.

Last edited by Sir_Lucas; 09 February 2017 at 23:49.
Old 11 February 2017, 18:30   #39
chocsplease

Hello and thanks for all the info, its very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas View Post
Hello, it seems you've gone through a lot of trouble to get your Amiga connected to the Internet.

Let me try to tidy up everything.

1. Both your WIFI PCMCIA cards support only WPA/TKIP. Neither Orinoco Gold nor Thomson Speedtouch 110 support WPA2.
Your router has to be set to WPA/TKIP only. B/G/N mode. If it's set to WPA/WPA2 - TKIP + AES then it will not work. Mixed mode does not work as well.
These cards simply don't support WPA2.
Ignoring the WPA issue for a moment, do you think the new card I have is faulty as it won't even scan for networks?

Quote:
2. There are cards which work with WPA2/AES as powrslave suggested:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7yF340BwUM9z3bVBLW
Do you know if these cards will slow my wifi network down to 11mbs? I have PCs and a smart TV on the same wifi router, and 11mbs would be too slow for these. The router is a Technicolor with a very basic user int, and cannot be set up for guest networks.

Quote:
3. EasyNet does not support DHCP and might be a bit tricky to set up.
Ive actually got net access using the wired card I got from work, sadly I cannot find a browser at the moment that does not crash or go mad... however....

Quote:
4. Have you tried Ibrowse 2.4?
http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/download.php

There's also 68000 version of AWeb. Try it as well.
http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/AWeb-3.5.09-68000
No have not tried either of these yet. I'll give them a go .

Quote:
If you have any questions regarding setting up WIFI connection feel free to ask. I'll gladly help.
Many thanks I'll post how I get on with the browsers. I hope you can help with my queries.
Old 11 February 2017, 18:51   #40
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Ignoring the WPA issue for a moment, do you think the new card I have is faulty as it won't even scan for networks?
I don't know that. I've got this card and it works all right with WPA/TKIP. However, you might need to add cardreset and cardpatch in your Startup-sequence.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset

Unpack these archives and copy them to your SYS:C drawer. Next, add these two lines in your S-s.

C:CardPatch
run >NIL: C:CardReset TICKS 50

Quote:
Do you know if these cards will slow my wifi network down to 11mbs? I have PCs and a smart TV on the same wifi router, and 11mbs would be too slow for these. The router is a Technicolor with a very basic user int, and cannot be set up for guest networks.
Cards won't slow down your router if you set it up to B/G/N mode. I don't know your router, so it's hard for me to say. Have a look inside and tell me if it's possible to set it up like that. I have it set it up like that and nothing slows down as my Amigas all use B WPA2/AES PCMCIA WIFI cards, Macbook Pro uses N network same as Mac Mini. Lenovo x230 and x61 both use G network.

Quote:
Ive actually got net access using the wired card I got from work, sadly I cannot find a browser at the moment that does not crash or go mad... however....
Quote:
No have not tried either of these yet. I'll give them a go .
Check IBrowse 2.4 and Aweb 68000 suggested in my previous post. They both should work fine for you. Let me know if you encounter any problems, I'll gladly help.

Quote:
Many thanks I'll post how I get on with the browsers. I hope you can help with my queries.
That's all right. I'm glad I can help.