English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2024, 22:15   #21
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
The AmiBench Wiki is a working document and is actively being updated until the date of release. Therefore information is still being added on a week by week basis.
So when can we expect the mentioning of AROS?

Quote:
To supplement this large undertaking of development, we have had to use AROS components. This is necessary to be able to be able to push out a timely public release and not have this product perpetually in a state of development.
You make it sound like a bad thing... why are you not proud of using AROS?

Quote:
This is necessary to be able to be able to push out a timely public release and not have this product perpetually in a state of development. We are very grateful that the AROS components exist whilst we develop our own components. Any changes we make to the AROS code base will be committed back.
Well - there are ways to express this gratitude.
At least mentioning AROS on your page would be the smallest form to appreciate the work of others, that makes your project possible in the first place.
Old 05 June 2024, 22:16   #22
amigakit.com

@Gorf

The Wiki already has had AROS added to it.
Old 05 June 2024, 22:18   #23
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@Gorf

The Wiki already has had AROS added to it.
Thank you!
A big step in the right direction.
Old 05 June 2024, 22:49   #24
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
please stop making every post of yours a sales pitch mate it wore thin long ago
Including some form of sales pitch is the smart thing to do, because you know... AmigaKit actually wants to sell a decent number of units.

As long as it's tastefully done, of course. We don't need to see explicit statements such as, "Buy It Now!"

Are you demanding he stops including sales pitches because you personally want the product to fail in the market? Tsk, tsk...
Old 05 June 2024, 22:53   #25
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Thank you! A big step in the right direction.
Can he now count you as a customer?

Old 05 June 2024, 23:08   #26
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post

It is actually a very interesting product, that really intrigues me.
As always in such cases I will wait after the first independent review of that box.

But I am also quite sensitive towards communication: e.g. the sole reason I did not buy a Vampire is because Gunnar messed that part up - in a big way.

I seams AmigaKit is at least willing to learn here, which is a very good sign.
But there is still much to improve in terms of openness and providing technical details. Just be honest and reliable about your product - marketing speech is not helpful in a forum like EAB.
But if you are open about what you are doing and communicate your goals and technical struggles, the community here will even help you to find a solution.
Old 05 June 2024, 23:13   #27
cloverskull

Quote:

He can count me as a customer This all sounds rather cool.
Old 06 June 2024, 00:20   #28
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
He can count me as a customer This all sounds rather cool.
The good news is, you won't have to pay the 20% VAT being a U.S. customer. So that 20% will be deducted from the 129.99 GBP posted price.

For me in Canada, I'll have to wait for something like a special holiday sale. Even without the VAT, once I consider the shipping cost, the import tax, and the conversion to Canadian dollars, this A600GS becomes too expensive.

Can't wait to see some reviews on YouTube, especially the teardown reviews!
Old 07 June 2024, 13:59   #29
fubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
But I am also quite sensitive towards communication: e.g. the sole reason I did not buy a Vampire is because Gunnar messed that part up - in a big way.
Don't worry, I bought 2. However, I remember AmigaKit's previous dodgy actions of which you can find plenty of talk in this and other forums. I had them remove my data from their shop back then and I haven't bought anything since from them, nor will I in this case. They did not respond to the reasoning either.
Old 07 June 2024, 15:34   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubs View Post
I remember AmigaKit's previous dodgy actions of which you can find plenty of talk in this and other forums.
Forums that delete anyone disagreeing with them? Or don't publish your analysis of the evidence because the evidence makes them look petty?

You have to read everything, consider that whoever is writing it is slightly bias. Listen to both sides of the story. Then the truth will be somewhere in between.

IMO AmigaKit made one or two mildly questionable decisions that made sense to them at the time, they were blown out of all proportion by one or two people with far too much influence. But their good far out weighs a few arguable brain farts.
Old 07 June 2024, 20:09   #31
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubs View Post
Don't worry, I bought 2. However, I remember AmigaKit's previous dodgy actions of which you can find plenty of talk in this and other forums. I had them remove my data from their shop back then and I haven't bought anything since from them, nor will I in this case. They did not respond to the reasoning either.
Are you still happy with your purchase of those two Vampires?

At "only" around 150 MIPS or so, they seem so slow compared to some other acceleration methods.
Old 07 June 2024, 21:09   #32
Dunny

Quote:
Are you still happy with your purchase of those two Vampires?

At "only" around 150 MIPS or so, they seem so slow compared to some other acceleration methods.
Wait what? That's like not even tenth of a pistorm pi4. I thought the vamps were faster than that.
Old 07 June 2024, 21:23   #33
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Wait what? That's like not even tenth of a pistorm pi4. I thought the vamps were faster than that.
Nope, the Vamps at 150 MIPS are even slower than the A600GS at 250-ish MIPS!

And those Vamps are still so bloody expensive too, pardon the pun.
Old 07 June 2024, 23:22   #34
idrougge

And WinUAE is even faster, and free, too.
Old 08 June 2024, 00:00   #35
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
And WinUAE is even faster, and free, too.
True enough.

The appeal of various devices is going to depend on the individual user's mindset.

Vampire users can enjoy a feeling of purity, as the 68080 continues the 68000 lineage.

A600GS users can enjoy the novelty of AmiBench and other included amenities, coupled with better-than-Vampire speeds, and the same easy-to-transport small footprint convenience as a V4 Standalone.

WinUAE and Pi users get to experience pure unbridled godly Amiga speed depending on the machine specs.

Amiga for everyone!
Old 08 June 2024, 06:04   #36
DisasterIncarna

due to not seeing anywhere to buy a Minimig 1.9 as a new FPGA to go with my Chameleon 64 V1 & 2 ive held off buying any of these newer devices, esp when most are just pi-type boxes running an emulator, and if i want a small device running a much faster emulator im currently doing that with a Steam Deck and FS-UAE. Havent really seen anything else that stands out, the MiniMig 1.9 would but i cant see anywhere in the UK that has any and im not happy paying massive import fees from abroad.
Old 08 June 2024, 06:20   #37
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
due to not seeing anywhere to buy a Minimig 1.9 as a new FPGA to go with my Chameleon 64 V1 & 2 ive held off buying any of these newer devices, esp when most are just pi-type boxes running an emulator, and if i want a small device running a much faster emulator im currently doing that with a Steam Deck and FS-UAE. Havent really seen anything else that stands out, the MiniMig 1.9 would but i cant see anywhere in the UK that has any and im not happy paying massive import fees from abroad.
Heh, you'd buy from minimig.ca, which is located in the city I'm in (Toronto). But you're put off by the import taxes for having it shipped into the UK.

I'd be interested in getting an A600GS, but I won't because of the import taxes for having it shipped from the UK into Canada.
Old 08 June 2024, 08:41   #38
dreadnought

Quote:
If you want FPGA Amiga you can try MiST (~240$ from Poland), wait for the upcoming cheap MiSTer clones (~150$) or check this new project: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=117678

Last edited by dreadnought; 08 June 2024 at 10:12. Reason: updated MiST price
Old 08 June 2024, 10:01   #39
DisasterIncarna

i'll take a read at that, bear in mind i already have the turbo chameleon 64 1 & 2 so not sure what the performance difference is between the two.
Old 08 June 2024, 10:18   #40
dreadnought

Quote:
i'll take a read at that, bear in mind i already have the turbo chameleon 64 1 & 2 so not sure what the performance difference is between the two.
Performance wise probably not much, perhaps MiSTer can run a bit faster AGA. The difference is mostly in connectivity I think, you got DB9 joystick connector on MiST (and Midi for ST?), MiSTer gives you HDMI and also can connect joysticks via adapters.