spudje

Coleco Chameleon all over again?
Old 20 April 2016, 12:39   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

So it's a RasPI.

Quote:
Update 20th April 2016
We’ve had so many requests for the gory technical details, that we just couldn’t refuse to send out an update!
At the core of THE 64 is a low cost, high power ARM Cortex SoC, which provides all the modern interfaces demanded by today’s consumers. This has clear advantages for the consumer. Creating a software/hardware hybrid machine allows THE 64 to be both affordable and flexible, and delivers a product that can expand to meet users future needs. A pure hardware implementation, on the other hand, fixes the specification at design time, and we feel that this is too limiting a solution and a substantial risk. Gate arrays are too costly to give an economic solution.
We are huge fans of the Commodore 64, and our dream is to make THE 64 affordable and attractive to all users, new and old. The 64 will be available again for the first time in 25 years. We are committed to the 64 and open source community, and will be releasing as much as we can as open source to empower the community to help steer the future direction of THE 64. You just can’t beat passion!
When we created the C64DTV we faced similar challenges. Creating Commodore hardware that will accurately run the BIOS and software is a challenge, whether that’s a custom ASIC or an off the shelf programmable FPGA, it requires a considerable amount of time, effort and resources. And we learned from that. We can improve on the limited expandability of the C64DTV!
We’re doing other things around THE 64 in addition to launching a new set of machines, such as licensing some of the best C64 programming books ever created. These will come out in both paperback and eBook formats. We are creating matching joysticks, cartridge converters to allow old original C64 cartridges to work with the new machine, potentially original joystick converters if the demand is there, and so on. We want to create the perfect experience for old and new fans alike.
That’s without some of the classic and specially commissioned all-new games we will be releasing for THE 64 consoles. Finally, we are planning a video interview between Darren Melbourne and gaming legend Jon Hare talking about THE 64 in the coming weeks. Watch this space!
Thanks from THE 64 team!
Old 20 April 2016, 15:52   #23
Amiga1992

What a load of shit.
THE 64 is THE scam.
176 backers already fooled by their nostalgia and stupidity :P
Quote:
An official THE 64 ™ joystick to go with you’re THE 64 ™ console!
Never trust a campaign that makes spelling mistakes like this
Old 20 April 2016, 15:57   #24
demolition
Unregistered User

I have trouble seeing how that can interface a real cartridge with something similar to a Pi. They could just dump it into memory, but that would only work for plain ROM carts. For real carts like FCIII, they would need accurate real-time signals going in and out before it would work right. I will be very impressed if they could make something like the 1541U-II work on it..
Old 20 April 2016, 16:03   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
For real carts like FCIII, they would need accurate real-time signals going in and out before it would work right.
I'm sure that wouldn't work. They are marketing this as some kinda games console. Also what Retro-Nerd posted makes it sound like they don't want to deal with any hardware making so I am not even sure how a cartridge interface would work at all, but obviously, I am sure if it works is as you say, by dumping the cartridge then loading the image in the emulator. What a waste.
Old 20 April 2016, 16:10   #26
demolition
Unregistered User

Well, they could make complex carts work simply by recognizing which one is installed and launching an internal image of the matching cart and have some mechanism to read the buttons on the cart. Thus, they would only support a fixed amount of carts but could add support for more through 'firmware updates'.
Old 20 April 2016, 17:30   #27
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Well, they could make complex carts work simply by recognizing which one is installed and launching an internal image of the matching cart and have some mechanism to read the buttons on the cart. Thus, they would only support a fixed amount of carts but could add support for more through 'firmware updates'.
Sounds ridiculous/not plausible/prone to lots of licensing issues/not possible :P
Old 20 April 2016, 17:36   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Sounds ridiculous/not plausible/prone to lots of licensing issues/not possible :P
Well, they can say that licensing is solved as people can only use carts they already own that way. And besides, this is pretty much already done if THE 64 turns out to be 'VICE in a box', which wouldn't surprise me. And yes, it is ridiculous, but so far this project sounds ridiculous if they're not going for an FPGA or ASIC solution.
Old 21 April 2016, 14:30   #29
Amiga1992

I mean why would I buy/use a cartridge when I can have the ROM already? And all that shit is spread all over internet. Having a cartridge slot at all is ridiculous. Like the whole project

I just realized this is a "flexible goal" campaign, meaning they will take any money they get at the end even if they don't reach their goal.

If anybody doubted this is a scam and a half, doubt no more. Good luck claiming anything as you see your money used to run away.
Old 21 April 2016, 16:03   #30
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Cartridges work just fine on my emulator, thanks, but no thanks!

It is very fishy... and as akira has said, it's build so they don't have to reach their goal... funny
Old 22 April 2016, 13:42   #31
wizard

With the Coleco Chameleon fresh in mind I'm baffled that they don't reveal more information about the actual technology or show a semi-working prototype or something. Over the years I've seen too many 3d renderings and case mockups to even consider buying in without further information.

Last edited by wizard; 22 April 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 22 April 2016, 14:20   #32
kipper2k

so if they dont meet their goal they can keep raised funds, however, at the bottom of the page is this info...

Can I get a refund of my perk?

Yes, if you change your mind about backing THE 64 ™ during the campaign. According to Indiegogo’s refund policy, all backers can get a refund directly through them until the campaign ends. Instructions can be found here.

So if you are worried, get your money back before the campaign is over
Old 22 April 2016, 17:06   #33
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Kickstarter won't allow renders you need to how an actual prototpye. Thats likely why they chose indiegogo- they don't have such a stipulation.
Old 23 April 2016, 08:55   #34
Jope
-

Lol. C-64s aren't exactly in short supply. 1541 ultimates are, but a new batch is going to happen in the summer. That combo will get you a better device. Composite/s-video TVs are not in short supply either. :-D

Let's all just forget about this "the 64" and pretend it never happened. A moment's silence to those who will lose their money by funding this (the funding terms allow them to keep it all no matter what happens).
Old 23 April 2016, 12:12   #35
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Let's all just forget about this "the 64" and pretend it never happened. A moment's silence to those who will lose their money by funding this (the funding terms allow them to keep it all no matter what happens).
Over 200 backers... this does show that people are generally stupid and would fund basically anything
Old 23 April 2016, 13:00   #36
dirkies
Zone Friend

I do not see the point of this product, has a feeling of "been there, done that".
Old 23 April 2016, 13:04   #37
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Over 200 backers... this does show that people are generally stupid and would fund basically anything
Well, ignorant maybe.

It's difficult to stand in the shoes of someone who hasn't been in the community for a long time. It probably looks like a plausible project.

Even some old timers I know have shared the link around. Hopefully they haven't backed it, though.
Old 23 April 2016, 14:06   #38
Amigajay

People backed the software emulated Retron 5, so if thats what they want then let them back it, its their money as they say.
Old 23 April 2016, 17:52   #39
Dunny

There's a high probability that this won't run Linux, but will in fact be an emulation run on bare metal - the SOC, if they stick to form, won't have the horsepower or RAM available to run even a stripped-down Linux distro.

Up until recently two of the directors of The64's parent company were the same CEO and CTO of the Sinclair Spectrum Vega, so it's natural to assume that they would pursue a similar design, as they were on-board at the start of the formation of the campaign.
Old 30 April 2016, 10:03   #40
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Nothing compares to the real thing.