Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 July 2010, 15:10   #21
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Dont recall anyone claiming Amiga Machine Language to be written by Overaa
Clarification bit was more about the respective publishers. Dalton's reply could lead someone not following the links to think that Overaa is Machine Language's author.
Quote:
In my opinion those Abacus books are very good, and I think as a starting point you couldn't do much better.
Silly me : From reading your first post, I thought you were the one requiring advice in this thread, not the other way round.
Quote:
Regarding 68k asm well I don't really need a boring introduction
The book I suggested is a little more than an introduction, if I may. Again, if I am referring to your first post, you do mention assembly books. To me, assembly coding on the 16-bit = 68k intricacies.

@pmc
Couldn't have put it better, thanx.
Old 20 July 2010, 18:52   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli View Post
To me, assembly coding on the 16-bit = 68k intricacies.
And there was me thinking that '16 bit' assembly wasn't only limited to 68k Motorola chips. Silly me. Maybe you should mention that your suggestions are only based on a theoretical point of view
Old 20 July 2010, 22:48   #23
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Have you seen the price
I suppose that`s eBay for you - ppl think they can ask for an arm and a leg because it is such old stuff and no more available in shops. My A4000 mobo packed up a couple of years ago and can not be replaced for less than $400++. I just built a 64-bit dual-core 2.6GHz PC for half that price - all new parts apart from the AMD CPU chip...

If you are really interested, I do have the Abacus books Amiga Machine Language and System Programmer`s Guide (which you`ll need to access the OS for opening windows and such) and I am not asking for much. Maybe a tenner for both, I already had plenty of good use out of them since `89.

The problem is postage, they weigh about 0.5 and 1kg respectively. I can find out how much, if you want them and let me know where they`re going to.

In fact I even have all the grey Commodore Ref Manuals by Addison Wesley - 4 books in all, inc HW Ref Man. They just clutter up the place, nowadays I prefer the electronic versions.
Old 21 July 2010, 10:35   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm the other way around. I find the electronic versions to be annoying to navigate and find what I need quickly. I also don't like flipping between windows and obscuring the view of whatever I am doing..
Old 21 July 2010, 14:18   #25
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I'm the other way around. I find the electronic versions to be annoying to navigate and find what I need quickly. I also don't like flipping between windows and obscuring the view of whatever I am doing..
Sorry, bippym, I should have quoted Hewitson instead of you, as it`s he who wanted the books. Must have gotten confused somehow. Well, it was late...

I can see what you mean, I used to keep those heavy books on my lap once, but nowadays I hardly need to use manuals, only for the odd reference, so an occasional quick grep is all I need. And as they say "you can`t grep paper".

Last edited by midnitoker; 21 July 2010 at 15:44.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:53   #26
midnitoker

Quote:
I am in search of some assembly books. What I would really like is a couple of the Abacus books by Paul Overaa, but anything would be great to start with.

If anyone has anything they no longer want or need, please let me know.

Cheers

You may be lucky here. Although I have already posted this, it was quoting bippym by mistake, not you, so here goes again, so you may get notified if you have your prefs set for that.

I do have the Abacus books Amiga Machine Language and Amiga System Programmer`s Guide (handy if you want to access the OS or HW) and I am only asking for maybe a tenner for both, so I can have a drink to your health. I already had 20 years of good use out of them. Still in vgc, I`m not a destructive user, but ask me for photos via email if you want to.

The costly part is postage, they weigh about 0.5 and 1kg respectively. For printed matter, or books, to Oz, Royal Mail charges £17.50 for airmail (~5 days), or £10.50 for surface mail (~58 days). That`s for both as one pack, though just the bigger one costs the same, while the smaller one alone is £6.87 or £3.65 resp.

Then again, I might be tempted to put them on eBay if those prices are right...
Old 24 July 2010, 06:19   #27
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli
Silly me : From reading your first post, I thought you were the one requiring advice in this thread, not the other way round.
Where have I asked for advice? I have asked for books, not advice.

And quite frankly, all the "advice" you have given has been shit. You suggested the RSI Demo Maker.

midnitoker: Thankyou very much for your kind offer, a picture of the books would be great. I do not mind paying the high shipping prices if I am happy with the condition.
Old 24 July 2010, 14:07   #28
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
all the "advice" you have given has been shit
You're welcome, good sir ! This said, advice does not bind anyone. Your endocrinologist will thank you if you consider it either pick it or leave it.
Quote:
You suggested the RSI Demo Maker.
Well, you have Abacus books in such high esteem that you thought they were written by P. Overaa himself. We all make mistakes, you see. That includes S. Dittrich, Amiga Machine Language book author, accordingly to pmc and others.

Last edited by NewDeli; 25 July 2010 at 02:13. Reason: Your not you
Old 24 July 2010, 18:28   #29
BippyM
Global Moderator

Deli why are you referring to him as an endocrinologist? I'm sure he's not into studying hormones!!!

Please keep on-topic
Old 25 July 2010, 03:01   #30
NewDeli
Banned

Do you usually focus on advice that immediately strikes you as inadequate ? Of course not, in most cases, it's counterproductive ('cause now Hewitson seems to have forgotten I also have suggested an assembly book, cf. post #12) and could induce one's stomach to producing more bile, which in turn, will have your Doctor (the one specializing in hormones diseases and affections) worrying about it, should he happen to diagnose it.
Quote:
NewDeli:
That's me .
Quote:
Thanks, but thats not quite what I'm after..
At least, he could assume I got that part right the first time around, couldn't he ?

Hope that makes more sense.
Old 25 July 2010, 10:56   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Stop talking gibberish and posting pointless posts. I think this thread is done.. closed