English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 June 2014, 12:03   #21
khph_re

I was on Amiga.org from the late nineties onwards, I check in for nostalgia once in a while. it started going downhill with the red vs blue arguments (which still flare up, believe it or not!), which caused a lot of people to leave. the site being sold, and eab offering a more optimistic attitude were the final nails in the coffin. its like a ghost town over there now. sad really.
Old 14 June 2014, 14:39   #22
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Just finished reading through the equivalent of this thread on Amiga.org, what a bunch of self entitled argumentative trolls, I really hope they don't come here to EAB. All most of them are trying to do is cause arguments with A-EON and Amigakit, I feel sorry for Trevor and Matthew, got a lot of work to do on there by the looks of it.
That thread is now on page 12, it was on 5 last night when I read it. Things haven't changed much yet. They do have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to bring the site up again. The specific thing that made me leave was a thread started by a moderator bragging on why he banned someone. I found that so distasteful that I never went back again. I happen to be a moderator on a satellite TV forum and, in the rare instance we ban someone which is almost always for spamming, we discuss it among the moderators in a moderator only section of the forum and quietly do it.

Looking at the list of recent posts here at EAB, not one of them isn't about Amigas. That is the way it should be.
Old 14 June 2014, 14:47   #23
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
.......the site being sold, and eab offering a more optimistic attitude were the final nails in the coffin. its like a ghost town over there now. sad really.
Huh ghost town ? It's actually quite the opposite!
-------------------------

Online Users: 242
17 members and 225 guests
Djole , Duce , F0LLETT , Fingers , itix , Karlos , Kesa , Kronos , Lizard , mikeymike , Niding , OlafS3 , paul1981 , slimf , thals , Wolfe
Most users ever online was 1,517, 05-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Stats
Members: 13,213
Threads: 66,578
Top Poster: Karlos (16,652)
Old 14 June 2014, 15:34   #24
Akiko

Quote:
Looking at the list of recent posts here at EAB, not one of them isn't about Amigas. That is the way it should be.
It's good then that the new owners agree and have used EAB as the example of how Amiga.org should be.

I remember the original site owner Wayne Hunt fondly describing Amiga.org as the "Wild West" and things seemed to go from bad to worse when Bill
Panagouleas and his friend took over the site.

I'm feeling positive now for the first in years that Amiga.org will regain it's sense of direction, and I have hope now that those small minority of destructive users that helped bring the site to it's knees will finally be sorted out.

Last edited by Akiko; 14 June 2014 at 15:46.
Old 14 June 2014, 17:21   #25
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
In the US, the collector of "information" automatically becomes the owner, so sites with user-provided content actually *own* the articles that users have written.

When I created the account, I did not save the terms&conditions, and that's over a decade ago. I do know that I had to re-register at some point, but at that time, I had met Wayne in person and didn't even read the terms that might have changed. I never would have thought that he'd be taking advantage of the community like that.

Another point that made me angry was that Wayne's debt was primarily caused by someone we all know too well, and some of you might know that I don't like these people too much either.
Now, that the site is under new ownership, maybe your request for removal of your old post will be honored. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Not a joke - I was banned for a week for some bad behaviour that I don't remember in detail. I'm human, and I make mistakes, and the same rules apply to all a1k members. Once again, I like the strict moderation of a1k, and amiga.org would probably benefit from such moderation, too.

Jens
I could easily get banned on a1k.org since the terms of use I accepted were in "Deutsch" and I never bothered to translate them!
Old 14 June 2014, 18:27   #26
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
That thread is now on page 12, it was on 5 last night when I read it. Things haven't changed much yet. They do have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to bring the site up again. The specific thing that made me leave was a thread started by a moderator bragging on why he banned someone. I found that so distasteful that I never went back again. I happen to be a moderator on a satellite TV forum and, in the rare instance we ban someone which is almost always for spamming, we discuss it among the moderators in a moderator only section of the forum and quietly do it.

It does seem very unprofessional on there at the moment. Shame really, I remember lurking there a few year ago and reading some useful and interesting threads, but now I come away feeling deflated. I hope they can get rid of the miscreants, as long as they don't come here.
Old 14 June 2014, 19:01   #27
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i did used to frequent Amiga.org but i kind of gave up on them, no specific reason really comes to mind i just sort of ended up only coming here, there is maybe a reason my subconscious knows but i must think eab is better i guess!
Old 02 July 2014, 14:48   #28
Pyromania

I'm humbled and honored to be a member of EAB too.
Old 02 July 2014, 15:04   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i did used to frequent Amiga.org but i kind of gave up on them, no specific reason really comes to mind i just sort of ended up only coming here, there is maybe a reason my subconscious knows but i must think eab is better i guess!
Alot more friendly on EAB.
Old 02 July 2014, 17:14   #30
Megol

Quote:

Informing people that they will be banned is pretty common, some sites have special threads for this and some (where banning is less common) can create a thread to show an example. Why is that so bad?

I have been banned on a lot of places, mostly for posting OT and the only thing I don't approve of is banning without telling the reason for it - how could one better oneself without knowing what isn't allowed?
Old 02 July 2014, 17:51   #31
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Informing people that they will be banned is pretty common, some sites have special threads for this and some (where banning is less common) can create a thread to show an example. Why is that so bad?

I have been banned on a lot of places, mostly for posting OT and the only thing I don't approve of is banning without telling the reason for it - how could one better oneself without knowing what isn't allowed?
It was a big drama troll thread and banning someone and bragging about it by starting a thread about it for the trolls was too much for me. It might be due to the fact that I have to deal with a lot of this sort of behavior in the real world and I go online to get away from it, not to see more.

Amiga.org is a great domain name but the site doesn't live up to it these days. Most of the people whose posts I enjoyed reading left and I finally joined them.
Old 04 July 2014, 14:58   #32
Hewitson

Quote:
Amiga.org is a great domain name but the site doesn't live up to it these days.
Tthe site has never lived up to it, it's nothing short of an embarassment. It's a shame EAB is not amiga.org as it's so much more deserving of the name.
Old 04 July 2014, 18:47   #33
Licentia

Quote:
I left amiga.org for personal reasons: I didn't like the (ab)use of US law that transfers ownership of my content to the site owner, without me actively agreeing to this proceeding. I left when I found out that a) somebody made money on what I contributed to for free without me agreeing, and b) when the new owner (Bill) refused to delete my content. Granted, he was entitled to act that way by US law, so everything was perfectly legal from his point of view.

However, I'm European, and I don't like the American way of treating intellectual property rights, because I think that the laws apply double standards: Big corporations are granted lots of rights, and the "little man" is taken the rights to his content by a st*pid law that non-US users of the site aren't made aware of.
Actually ownership isn't transferred. You still own the content, the website just obtains a license to your work through the Terms of Service agreement. With user-generated content the general rule is that the creator of the content owns the underlying material. However, to further use the content in online mediums (such as a website), the creator grants a license to the website, allowing it to post the user-generated content in whatever manner specified in the Terms of Service agreement. So, while you may own the content, the website owns the wall and you have agreed that the website can use the content in whatever manner specified in the agreement.

Old 04 July 2014, 18:51   #34
Hewitson

In my opinion all forums should give users the option to delete posts like we do here.
Old 05 July 2014, 13:11   #35
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
In my opinion all forums should give users the option to delete posts like we do here.
I agree. Its just common sense.
Old 10 September 2014, 03:25   #36
kjmann14

Hi There every one. I'm Sal (Kjmann). I'm one of the new moderators at Amiga.org. I know this is an old thread, but if you have issues, feel free to PM me there and I will see what I can do to help you all. =)
Option to delete a Post? I will check with matthew and see about adding that option.

=)
-Sal (Kjmann)
Old 10 September 2014, 06:11   #37
adrdesign

Since I started to post here I tried to register in amiga.org and didn't have a response. I think it would be cool to spread the sound libraries I've found. Then tried again and the same. I won't ask for a third time, don't need it.

Love EAB.
Old 10 September 2014, 10:55   #38
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
Since I started to post here I tried to register in amiga.org and didn't have a response. I think it would be cool to spread the sound libraries I've found. Then tried again and the same. I won't ask for a third time, don't need it.

Love EAB.
PM me here, your username and email. I will look into it for you.
Old 10 September 2014, 18:35   #39
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I know of at least one member who was banned from EAB for doing just that.

In principle it may seem fair to allow members to delete their posts as they deem necessary, but the end result can be the complete trashing of a thread due to missing content.

Secondly, posts are often quoted in replies by other members which the original poster has no rights to edit.

So, IMHO any practical post deletion needs to be done with the approval of the moderating staff.
Old 10 September 2014, 19:09   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's about mass deleting your posts and thus rendering threads useless. This isn't allowed.