English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 February 2009, 03:59   #21
boggit123

As it is late and I still aint sleepy I thought I might share a small Amiga Action memory with you.
As I (The Boggit) worked out of the office as a freelance journalist I started to get frustrated that I wasn't receiving any of the best games to write about in the Boggits Domain column so I rang the editor and complained that I wanted more "stuff".
Imagine my delight when a few days later the post delivered a huge Teachest to my house. I ripped off the paper and emptied the contents onto the floor. Instead of Amiga games, the guys in the office had filled the chest with everything they could find on the desks in the office. I had old coffee mugs, cold toast, telephone directories and the contents of their wastepaper baskets.
At first I was livid with anger, then I burst out laughing at such a great trick that had been played on me. The bastards!
Old 26 February 2009, 02:07   #22
paranoid
Phone Zen

How was the toast?

Old 27 February 2009, 21:27   #23
boggit123

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
How was the toast?

Considering the toast was cold and about 4 days old, it was delicious when spread with Troll Jam. Don't ask !!
Old 28 February 2009, 10:57   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

translation: troll = atari st user.
Old 01 March 2009, 04:37   #25
boggit123

Troll certainly does NOT equal Atari ST User!
I made my living out of insulting Atari Users.
However I will reveal another secret. I was the writer of the adventure column of the Atari User magazine called Dungeons and Disk Drives.
I was also the writer of the adventure column of the BBC Micro User magazine called Beebug.
Oh, I was a busy boy.
I also was the creator of three text adventure games sold through the Acorn User Magazine. The games were called Vampire Castle, Flints Gold and Hacker 2000. I will admit that all three games were crap, but it was my first attempt at software writing.

Boggit
Old 04 March 2009, 09:38   #26
chiark
Needs a life

Vampyra, eh? Was that Amiga Computing IIRC? I was an avid Amiga Computing reader, and wrote around 10 articles for them on techie things... Ahh, good times.
Old 03 June 2009, 01:44   #27
SurplusGamer

Hello, the Boggit.

You may not remember me, but I'm Peter Silk - you knew my family and once I came round and you showed me the beginning of Monkey Island 1 and 2 and I've been a fan of the games ever since. I've always remembered that. Thanks!

Old 03 June 2009, 03:16   #28
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggit123 View Post
The other big secret which I can reveal is that I was secretly writing the Adventure columns for nearly all the Amiga magazines under different names. I was Vampyra and The Innkeeper in two rival mags and no one ever knew. What a bad boy I was. The fun thing about my Vampyra column was that readers thought I was a woman and I regularly got requests from some to send them my underwear!

HA!, I remember Vampyra like it was yesterday :P... good looking girl in that picture

Never really thought about stuff like that, whether it was a girl or guy who wrote the text.... I just liked it was a girl picture representing that part of the magazine . Still got them somewhere
Old 03 June 2009, 18:11   #29
MethodGit

Well this is a surprise!

Read one of your later columns a couple of days ago when I obtained an obscure issue of Amiga Action off eBay for intention of passing to AMR.

It's been documented a couple of times (most memorably in AP2 (1, 2)) that in the last AA from Dec 1996, your column became one huge rant against the mag, the staff, the publisher and the company and it somehow got through the proof-readers (if there were any to begin with) and into the shops. A shame I didn't get to read it back then, and I bet not many others got to either!

EDIT: Okay disregard that, seemed I both got confused and refrained from reading all the posts in this thread. Silly me.

Last edited by MethodGit; 03 June 2009 at 18:14. Reason: I bloody suck.
Old 04 February 2013, 23:51   #30
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Does anyone have a scan of that final Boggit? I would love to finally see it after hearing about it for so long.
Old 28 March 2013, 15:00   #31
SkyRunner

Hell, I remember you too...

Old 04 September 2019, 17:38   #32
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Well this is a surprise!

Read one of your later columns a couple of days ago when I obtained an obscure issue of Amiga Action off eBay for intention of passing to AMR.

It's been documented a couple of times (most memorably in AP2 (1, 2)) that in the last AA from Dec 1996, your column became one huge rant against the mag, the staff, the publisher and the company and it somehow got through the proof-readers (if there were any to begin with) and into the shops. A shame I didn't get to read it back then, and I bet not many others got to either!
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I believe I finally have an answer to this old mystery, or at least I think I do. The final Amiga Action was apparently in September '96 (Issue 89), which is now available in its (extremely short) entirety here:

https://archive.org/details/AmigaAct...tIssue/page/n1

Boggit's Domain (or rather "Son of Boggit" as I think it was known then) seems to be a feature long since jettisoned by the magazine, but the "instructions" on how to play the cover disk does indeed include a very revealing and enjoyable expose on the state of the magazine. I wonder if this is what was being referenced in AP2?

Edit: Ah no. It was issue 85, the beginning of Son of Boggit went a bit mad... https://twitter.com/ashens/status/1164610329495650304

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 04 September 2019 at 17:49.
Old 09 October 2023, 22:10   #33
jraclarke

Resurrecting (not re-incarnating) this old thread. I guess you may have long gone, but I have about 20 of the articles that could be scanned if you're ever interested.

Turns out my Mum kept a lot of them, being a bit of a fanatic Dungeon Master, and Bane of the Cosmic Forge player, she offered up written help via newsletters etc. under the pseudonym Queequeg for BoTCF (I have the old letters). She wrote to Boggit's column, but I couldn't find the specific article.

Unfortunately she passed away a couple of months ago, but have lots of happy memories of Amiga Gaming with her, and tons of old Amiga stuff to go through now.

"How do you get a one-armed Atari user down from a tree? - Wave at him".