English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 January 2013, 07:58   #21
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Copying will not work if the drawer icon you are copying over does not have an actual drawer to open. I tested your icons and it failed for me too until I made a drawer with the same name in the directory. Then it worked fine... If this is not the problem then something is messed up in your installation.
Let´s see, if i can get this right:

"the drawer icon you are copying over" = old icon to be replaced ?

"Copying will not work if the drawer icon ... does not have an actual drawer to open" = Hmmm, i dont understand the meaning of it.

Are you saying, that the old icon must be a folder and must have files and/or folders in it?

I be sure, that the old foldericons are real drawers and there is something inside them.

"until I made a drawer with the same name in the directory" = I dont get the meaning of this, too.

Are you saying, the drawer must have the same name as the new icon?
Old 25 January 2013, 12:20   #22
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
"the drawer icon you are copying over" = old icon to be replaced ?
Yes.
Quote:
Are you saying, that the old icon must be a folder and must have files and/or folders in it?
Not quite the old icon must be attached to a real folder, the folder does not need to have anything in it.
Quote:
I be sure, that the old foldericons are real drawers and there is something inside them.
Then as I said above it appears that something else is wrong with your installation.
Try copying the old icon you put in the Zone into your Ram Disk. If you attempt to change it there it should still fail. With the Ram Disk window active select Window - New Drawer from the menu. A requester will open up -type the name of the icon into the box, remove the tick next to Icons and click on create. Replacing the icon image in the Ram Disk should now be possible...

Quote:
Are you saying, the drawer must have the same name as the new icon?
If you are referring to the icon you are copying from then no.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:37   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@elowan

I gave you only the the .icon files so you must make the drawer as well, just an empty folder with the same name as the .icon folder.

So in your directory for Icons that are a Drawer you need to have two files like:

System (this is the empty folder)
System.info (the Icon file)

Then CopyIcon should work for you.

Hope that helps

Steve.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:38   #24
elowan

"the old icon must be attached to a real folder"... hmmm, to me all folders are real folders. Like "Prefs" or "System". They´re the original ones, created on OS3.9 installation.

It seems, these are the ones, that i can´t replace with new icons. That applies to some of my "Work:" folders, too.

New created drawers (the ones who get a green standard drawer icon) can be changed.
All executable programs, also.

Just some "original system folders" can´t.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:39   #25
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@elowan

I gave you only the the .icon files so you must make the drawer as well, just an empty folder with the same name as the .icon folder.

So in your directory for Icons that are a Drawer you need to have two files like:

System (this is the empty folder)
System.info (the Icon file)

Then CopyIcon should work for you.

Hope that helps

Steve.

Aaahhh - that could be the solution, i guess Will try it tomorow
But - some folders (drawers) were there already, like "Commodities", "System", "Internet" - but not empty, of course.. ?!

Sorry, but i still dont get the system behind it

Or maybe... if i create a Folder (let´s say in windows explorer), named "Test" in my Work-folder.
When starting up FS-UAE and open Work: (with show all files), then "Test" is a green "drawer-box" icon.

CopyIcon or KDEView works for "Test"

When i replace the original "Internet.info" with the new icon, i´d like to have for this folder, the new icon is named the same. I copy it over to my Amiga directory and overwrite the old one. Then the new icon appears in AmigaOS.

And by the way: you didn´t gave me that icons, remember?

Last edited by elowan; 25 January 2013 at 12:54.
Old 16 February 2022, 16:21   #26
mareks

Sorry for the super massive necro.
Just to clarify everything for future reference, and maybe people that will look for this in the future.

In Amiga, Folder = Drawer.
Unlike PC, Amiga has icons stored in .info files that are in the same location as the drawer.
So for example There will be a drawer called "Folder"
and the icon for it will be called "Folder.info"

Quote:
But - some folders (drawers) were there already, like "Commodities", "System", "Internet" - but not empty, of course.. ?!
Now to follow on this confusion that happened here, and got misunderstood.

OP wanted to change icon "Demos.info" for the drawer "Demos",
To icon "Commodities.info". That most likely came in some icon pack.
EDIT: I did word it poorly here, OP wanted to copy the icon by drag and dropping it onto another icon in Icon Info window. Or achieve the same effect with icon copy software, not by actually renaming the icons. END EDIT.

The thing is, that this operation cannot happen untill the "Commodities.info" actually has a drawer called "Commodities" in the same location.

For whatever reason AmigaOS does not allow you to copy icons from drawers that exist only as icons.
If that icon is anything else it is ok, and should work.

But what you can do to not create the drawer and still copy the icon is this (at least in OS3.9):
1. Click on the icon you want to change.
2. Select icon info.

3. Click on the icon you wnt to copy from.
4. Select icon info.

5. with the info window of source icon selected, select copy icon.
6. Click the info window of destination icon, but not on the icon, and select paste icon.

7. Click again on the info window of source icon, this time make sure the icon in it is clicked, select copy icon.
8. Click again on the destination icon info window, and also make sure the icon is clicked, select paste icon.

9. Click Save.
10. Done.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Again sorry for the massive necro

Last edited by mareks; 16 February 2022 at 20:50.
Old 16 February 2022, 18:01   #27
daxb

I don't know what your problem is but I can copy files (also .info) and drawers without problems on OS 3.1 with DOpus 5.82. Copy stuff from CLI should also work. WB might be limited in some cases but I don't know. Haven't used it for about 25 years.
Old 16 February 2022, 20:52   #28
mareks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I don't know what your problem is but I can copy files (also .info) and drawers without problems on OS 3.1 with DOpus 5.82. Copy stuff from CLI should also work. WB might be limited in some cases but I don't know. Haven't used it for about 25 years.
Yes, but the issue was not to copy the icon by physically moving it, but by dragging it over an icon in icon info window, edited my previous post to reflect that, sorry for poor wording on my part.
Although you are correct that this can be done with DOpus

Last edited by mareks; 16 February 2022 at 21:00.
Old 17 February 2022, 14:43   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I got CopyIcon from "the Zone" and another one was included in the OS3.9 install (or maybe from the BoingBags, not sure...) But both versions won´t be able to exchange folder icons - at least on my amiga-system.

Many applications including icon information OS 3.9 do not allow you to change an "orphan folder icon" which is a single icon without a referenced folder.

To replace a single "folder icon" without a folder you must use applications that support this feature, for example IconMaster can do this even though it will not show the destination icon