English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you buy one GameCube ?
Yes, it rocks !!!! 7 30.43%
No 13 56.52%
Maybe ... 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 May 2001, 21:16   #21
RCK
Administrator

When you'll need one little gamecube to unlock secret level/weapon of your GBA Metroid version, just ask me
Old 17 May 2001, 21:19   #22
Amiga1992

I'd never buy a GC just to unlocksome gimmick, that'd be insane.

The ONLY thing I'd say will make me, nay, FORCE ME, to buy a Gamecube, is if they make a SuperGAmeboy-like accessory, that lets me play GBA games on the telly.

Otherwise, they can stick it up their noses I'll go bother you and your GC then, RCK
Old 17 May 2001, 21:31   #23
RCK
Administrator

Okay Akira

Let's close this thread with one pic of Sonic Advance / GBA

Removed: Screenshots

Last edited by Ian; 08 December 2001 at 00:31.
Old 18 May 2001, 14:53   #24
RCK
Administrator

If You Need a Good Laugh...

(taken from PlanetGameCube)

It isn't GameCube related but I can't imagine any Nintendo fan wouldn't find it at least somewhat entertaining...

OK, people were waiting for it to happen... praying for it to happen... Well, apparently it has now officially happened.

Here's the quote you'll want to see:

Quote:
There were also indications that the hardware is not entirely stable yet - a crash during Nightcaster revealed a familiar looking PC boot screen, and a Microsoft representative explained that the memory configuration on the floor models was different than that of the final version.
Old 18 May 2001, 15:45   #25
LaundroMat

Well, that's M$ for you

The demo of Halo had a guest appearance by the Blue Screen of Death as well...

That tech explanation... Pfah! Then just don't show the game, or show a rolling demo, for God's sake. This just reinforces the idea people have of MS.

I guess MS will introduce the revolutionary concept (sarcastically meant) of actually applying patches on a console system!

Imagine the scene... XBox launches. Retailers are demonstrating the next-next-generation console en masse. Kids gape in awe at Halo which then... crashes! :float

Needless to say, I detest Gates. That's all.
Old 18 May 2001, 19:42   #26
Amiga1992

BWAHAHAHAHA

X-Box is the most PATHETIC piece of console EVER created. It will be the first frigging time a console locks up. I mean, not even overly hacked alpha demos of previous console games lock up. BWAHAHAHAHA that will taech them, but, unluckily, they will sell a lot. Kids just will be blinded by the specs and graphics, and all that shite.

I hope the GC kicks MS ass, seriously. Even the PS2@, while I don't like it, I hope it kills MS for good. SOMEONE must teach Bill Gates a lesson.

And about that Sonic Advance pic.... AMAZING! Shame on the Sonic sprite, his new look sucks arse. I hope it plays good, but I know I will be blindingly buying the game. I love Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPC, and I don't think this version could be any worse.
Old 18 May 2001, 20:04   #27
RCK
Administrator

héhé

Here is one special GC metroid pic for my friend akira, also knowed as the GC killer

Removed: Screenshots

Last edited by Ian; 08 December 2001 at 00:32.
Old 18 May 2001, 22:11   #28
Amiga1992

OMG, blasphemy! Poor Samus

I just checked Sonic Advance's video... looking good, again, pity about the Sonic sprite. The levels of parallax are excellent. I don't think this game will play exactly as teh odl ones, so I won't be so fond of it, but I surely think I will like it.
Old 19 May 2001, 12:05   #29
Burge
Get ready, Agent

In answer to the topic, yes I will probably buy one Gamecube. Seems quite silly to buy 2 dont u think? Unless you get the normal and the one that plays DVDs.

Finally, is parallax scrolling when you have different levels of backgrounds moving at different rates to make the impression of foreground and background, or am I on crack?
Old 19 May 2001, 17:59   #30
Amiga1992

Yep, that's parallax, when you have different background levels moving at different speeds to give the impression of depth. The more levels, the most cool it looks
Old 21 May 2001, 10:35   #31
LaundroMat

Parallax scrolling

FYI, check out Shadow of the Beast and its sequels for some of the sweetest parallax scrolling encountered on the Amiga...

I've always wondered how they managed to create more than two "playfields" of scrolling... I've even messed with asm, and still I couldn't fix me something up that would give the impression of several layers fast enough..

Thinking again: anyone knows of technical docs floating around (on game development, gfx tricks etc.) specifically for the Amiga? (Not the ROM kernels please, I copied those books by hand a long time ago. With "by hand" I mean pressing the buttons of a coying machine )
Old 21 May 2001, 22:12   #32
Amiga1992

Kid Chaos had one great parallax scrolling effect. Many, many planes of it, I bet they nicked the routine out of their Lotus games.

About tech docs, yes, I have a couple of resources, however I have it at home, so when I go back home I'll post the link here. Unless Twistin', beats me to it, he gave me the links It's damned good stuff.
Old 22 May 2001, 18:19   #33
RCK
Administrator

Nintendo announces details regarding GameCube's hardware and software pricing.

Quote:
Today Nintendo announced pricing information for GameCube's hardware and software. The company will sell GameCube for $199.95 in the U.S. This doesn't come as a surprise at all, as Nintendo has been touting its focus on a mass-market price, using this philosophy as a reason for not including DVD movie playback in the console. The price is a sharp contrast to Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox launch prices, which were announced to retail at the $300 mark. Nikkei English News reports GameCube will sell for 25,000 yen in Japan (about $204).

To compliment this mass-market hardware price, Nintendo will sell GameCube software for around $49.95 in the U.S. Again, this is an effort to maintain a mass-market price on software, where production costs are drastically rising. All three next-generation systems -- PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube -- will retail software at this price. Again, Nikkei English News cites an anonymous source reporting that GameCube software will sell for 6800 yen (about $55) in Japan

"The response to Nintendo GameCube at E3 was phenomenal," says Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Game developers expressed over and over that our games are of unmatched quality, especially Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II. Pikmin also spiked interest for its incredibly unique game content and approach. This is all very exciting."

Nintendo plans on launching the system with six exclusive games of its own on top of third-party endeavors. One problem the PlayStation 2 faced, and the Xbox could possibly face is a shortage of consoles at launch. In the case of the PlayStation 2, Sony failed to deliver almost half of its promised quantity. Currently Microsoft is facing hardware design issues that could jeopardize the availability of the Xbox console at launch. In Nintendo's case, though, final hardware development kits are in the hands of many developers and production facilities are gearing up for manufacturing. According to Nikkei English News the Big N plans on selling 2.5 million units to the U.S. and Japanese market combined by the end of the year. It can meet these high production volumes via its ability to produce 600,000 GameCube systems each month.

Nintendo is planning on issuing an official press release on the matter at noon today. Even more information will be detailed in Nintendo's financials report, which is scheduled to take place in Japan on May 24th.

More as it breaks.
Old 22 May 2001, 22:48   #34
Amiga1992

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Specs mean nothing
Old 24 May 2001, 04:06   #35
Amiga1992

I got da GBA!

Grrrr.... but I forgot to buy a game :P Anyway, has anyone, like me, taken the plunge already? I recommend you to do so, at least when it gets officially released in your country or near. I imported one from Japan, and I should get F-Zero in a week. Just can't wait

Here it is, isn't it lovely?
Old 24 May 2001, 11:55   #36
RCK
Administrator

So I suppose it is one japanese version, I know that games are all compatible, but you must have paid it a very high price !

Importation in Paris / France is very expensive, the day of the release of GBA in japan (one month ago), we can found the pack one GBA + three games fo arround 390$ !!
Old 26 May 2001, 01:27   #37
Amiga1992

I paid 98 dollars, plus shipping. The japanese street price. I imported it myself, local prices range from 290 to 380, without games. Can you say fuck thaT! I got my GBA for a hundred, delivered to my door. It's an asian version though, same thing. Box changes a little, and the manual is in english and chinese.

I checked GT the otehr day, amazinG! This machine it's little only physically

By theway, RCk, do you happen to have the pictures IGN did of the back of the GBA (US vs JP, they did a comparison), I want to check some serial number stuff going on , but I cant find the article.
Old 27 September 2001, 00:59   #38
Ian
Global Moderator

Re: Hmmm .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I voted no, but I don't think it sucks.
I have changed my mind, it DOES suck
Old 27 September 2001, 01:07   #39
RCK
Administrator

hey, are YOU looking for war with me ?
you have the right to say those kind of thing, but please post at least some arguments.
Old 27 September 2001, 01:41   #40
Ian
Global Moderator

War for what, reviving an old thread with a joke. I thought the tounge out smiley always indicated a joke, how wrong was I

Well I will back my statment up though

I hate all Nintendo hardware except the GBA as it is more often than not technically inferior to any thing else on the market of the same generation, fact.

So the Gamecube does infact suck, however the games don't infact I'd bet my vast ammounts of money on the evil gaming genuis Myamoto wowing us all on the Gamecubes release with some instanly playable and annoyingly cute must have game, the Mario 64 of the new generation if you will.

Once again I must say the first comment was a joke and you have proved the point I was making in another thread, thanks

Last edited by Ian; 27 September 2001 at 02:01.