English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 27 March 2016, 00:22   #21
jotd
This cat is no more

New image here, made with ISOCD, no more strange read/boot errors: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zclhpo7vxx...isocd.zip?dl=0

Isolated the games reported as non-working: not in the menu anymore (I'm not saying that ALL games on the menu work perfect, check spreadsheet by all means)

Patrik I have checked layout of CDs using mkisofs+your fixes vs ISOCD and the first entry seems different. binary "0" on MKISOFS side and binary "1" on the other (ISOCD)

PathTable size: 4940
00000-00009(1): (binary 1 vs binary 0)

Could this cause the problems on real HW whereas undetectable on winuae?

Last edited by jotd; 27 March 2016 at 08:06.
Old 27 March 2016, 16:00   #22
Amiga1992

I am glad that I was right about this being a CD authoring issue. It was too strange!
I'll be happy to test more game with the new image. I'll have to start from zero so I can discard any strangeness created by the bad disc authoring.
Old 27 March 2016, 17:31   #23
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Patrik I have checked layout of CDs using mkisofs+your fixes vs ISOCD and the first entry seems different. binary "0" on MKISOFS side and binary "1" on the other (ISOCD)

PathTable size: 4940
00000-00009(1): (binary 1 vs binary 0)

Could this cause the problems on real HW whereas undetectable on winuae?
Ok, so the name of the root dir is 0x00 when made with mkisofs and 0x01 when made with ISOCD. Had missed that difference, might be worth looking into. However, it is very strange that it should affect only real hw, feels like a data difference that the hw should not care about. One thing that will affect the hw though is the different order of the files, but that should only make it create make a lot of seeking noises and be slow, unless there it causes some strange bug or timeout or something.

There are also some other minor differences between the Images that could cause different behavior:
- ISOCD creates two identical iso9660 volume descriptors, while mkisofs just creates one, don't know why ISOCD does that
- the TM file cannot be located in the same place as ISOCD actually makes space for it, while with mkisofs plus the syx script it is put in a place where enough room just happened to be left by mkisofs =)
- there are also more parameters apart from the location of the TM file which ISOCD writes. The syx script just writes the TM location. Have not mapped those.

Can take a look tomorrow, I am out in the wilderness right now.

Last edited by patrik; 27 March 2016 at 18:30.
Old 28 March 2016, 22:52   #24
patrik

@jotd:

Found some things regarding the CDFS options in make_cd32_iso.py that were not correct. I have pushed a fixed version of it, please see if it makes any difference.

If it doesn't help, I could try changing the root dir name also even if it is not incorrect to name it 0x00, 0x01 or whatever. What makes it the root dir is that it points to itself as parent.

Btw, what game from the RUGCD should I try if I want to recreate this issue?
Old 29 March 2016, 00:02   #25
Amiga1992

The whole compilation has issues throughout and they are random. Not the latest one jotd remade with isocd, the old one.
Notably for me it was Cannon Fodder 2 which fucked up more (doing the mental CD grinding shit that scared me to death)

[edit] new compilation made with isocd runs great! It's really fast to boot unlike before too starting to test games from the top again to give proper feedback.

[edit2] unfortunately, Cannon Fodder 2 still doens't work for me, it did that nasty cd head grind after trying to load the first level again. I guess that's not an issue of the compilation then And it isn't random either, I am experiencing it with the same game at the same point every time.
I found the same issue with Mega Lo Mania when trying to play the first isand. If I remember these games correctly there's a very short disk read at that point in the flopy games, almost as if the game parked the head. Could this be something thatneeds to be fixed on the install? Is this a Sensible Software games issue?

Last edited by Amiga1992; 29 March 2016 at 05:07.
Old 29 March 2016, 08:18   #26
Amiga1992

OK guys, I went through every game in this compilation and wrote my findings on the compatibility sheet.
A LOT of games working great, thanks so much jotd for your fantastic work on this tool!

Maybe it's time to make a second CD with the titles that weren't in this one?
Old 10 April 2016, 12:36   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

Hi,

New version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhomsnemvf...RUGCD.zip?dl=0

Grinding still possible (like some official games as I witnessed on official lotus 3) but a lot more things working.

In the menu, there's a description. I have added the 3 categories:

(NW): not working / to re-test
(U): untested
(OK): working

Good news: Global Gladiators / Cool Spot / Twiddy stuff working now.
Bad news: still lockups at start with Z-Out, Elfmania, ... but now I can (anyone can) investigate using debug mode/hrtmon.

Toni, you can use this image if you want to see what's going on with Cool Spot with those special steps:
(if you prefer a specific image let me know, but there you get a great games compilation and games to investigate on in the future )

1) keep LMB clicked during startup: an alternate menu will show up (amigaguide): quit it
2) will install HRTMon on quit
3) go to CoolSpot
4) type "cd32load coolspot.slave d"
5) when screens turns green press "\" or RMB
6) put breakpoints where you see NOP zones (HRTMon/CD32 enter bug workaround)
7) put breakpoints on JMP (A0)
8) continue until reaching slave start (shows "TRAP #0" at the top of hrtmon screen)
9) break around $17B898 (approx, depends on alloc) on JMP $1500.W instruction, continue
10) break on $AE7C (level 6 handler), notice the nice checkered screen shit
11) when reaching $1CEE (move #2000,SR), interrupt is activated. You can then inspect the contents of the CIA/Akiko registers

Runnning CoolSpot with MASKINT6 param allows to skip the problem.

I think the grinding can be investigated on on games like Double Dragon II. Just have HRTMon installed, and interrupt when grinding occurs - I had it during the start scoller (interrupts are on) -, and see what's going on with Psygore/RN code.

Last edited by jotd; 10 April 2016 at 16:00.
Old 10 April 2016, 20:57   #28
Amiga1992

Time to get testing! Thanks for this new image.
Unfortunately I can't do any of the keyboard stuff, my kipper adapter has a problem with the keyboard controller and I had to remove the chip, it was causing issues with audio and who knows what else. Vampire development has put investigation of that issue on the back burner, it seems
Old 10 April 2016, 21:03   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

You don't need the keyboard to play any of the games, except a few that wouldn't accept joypad remap. So you're good to go.
Old 11 April 2016, 16:44   #30
Amiga1992

No, I meant to do the HRTMon stuff.
Old 11 April 2016, 22:36   #31
jotd
This cat is no more

ah yes, it is definitively a problem!
Old 23 April 2016, 08:25   #32
jotd
This cat is no more

New version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhomsnemvf...RUGCD.zip?dl=0

containing CD32load v0.24

Thanks to Toni, a lot more games work (Elfmania for instance)
Old 30 April 2016, 19:40   #33
jotd
This cat is no more

New version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhomsnemvf...RUGCD.zip?dl=0

containing CD32load v0.25

Thanks to Toni, even more games work
I have also patched some slaves so keyboard is not needed anymore

Categories:

(NW): not working / to re-test
(U): untested
(W): working but not 100% (gfx flickers, cannot load/save, cannot pause/unpause ...)
(OK): working perfectly with all features

If someone can try Burning Rubber, Second Samurai, Chaos Engine 2 (all AGA games). I think they work on real HW now, but I also think my CD drive is dying: cannot load them to the point where I can play them!

Last edited by jotd; 30 April 2016 at 22:11.
Old 01 May 2016, 15:26   #34
Amiga1992

I'll give this a try later, jotd! I've been really busy and haven't had time to test any games from the previous RUGCD.
Old 01 May 2016, 18:23   #35
jotd
This cat is no more

no problem. I've tested them for ya

The ones that trigger the grinding for sure:

Double Dragon 2
Great Courts 2

stay away from those ones. I'm bravely running them with HRTMon to report the Akiko register values to Toni when it happens.
Old 01 May 2016, 21:15   #36
Nobby_UK

Still can't get player 1 (PAD) in game
before player 2 (Mouse)

Surprisingly got a Red Screen...

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 12 April 2020 at 23:42.
Old 01 May 2016, 21:21   #37
jotd
This cat is no more

I just removed latest ISO because CD32load v0.25 has a big problem with cd read. Most games I have tried fail miserably. Sorry about people who burnt the CD (like me!) but it just doesn't work properly.
I have added features in v0.25 which help some games to start, but on the other hand one feature (DMA start/stop) seems to kill proper reading.
I have removed the file from dropbox. Will post another one soon, but will test it a bit first (and will add some more enhancements)

Edit: Gauntlet 2 is tagged as "untested" because I have trouble starting the game using the pad. Are the screenshots from WinUAE or real hardware?
Old 01 May 2016, 21:30   #38
Nobby_UK

WinUAE

Also 'Ghosts and Goblins' just resets...

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 12 April 2020 at 23:42.
Old 01 May 2016, 21:59   #39
jotd
This cat is no more

GNG was previously working on WinUAE...

WinUAE is not very representative for tests. but thanks!
Old 02 May 2016, 19:32   #40
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I just removed latest ISO because CD32load v0.25 has a big problem with cd read. Most games I have tried fail miserably.
Oh no, that sucks. Looking forward to you fixing this issue.