Old 02 July 2004, 03:52   #21
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Gamebase 1.1 is out
Old 02 July 2004, 09:34   #22
Runey
Survivor

Haven't played with the new version yet, but the list of new features certainly addresses some of the problems we were having with GameBaseAMY

I think Mangar is going to have some fun figuring out what to do with all these new toys
Old 04 July 2004, 21:00   #23
lostfriend
Zone Friend

nice work.
some questions about it.
How to you get the infos about the games?
Do you read them out of the tosec name, or do you have a database for them?
Is the size if the gamelist and Info screen resozeable?
If you have an own databse for the games, maybe you can write an import script for the HOL database.
Will zip files be supportet that include more than one file,
if you have zipped all 3 disks from chaos engine into one file and named it chaos enginge 2 the.zip

so far looks nice, looking forward to more updates.

greets
Old 04 July 2004, 21:18   #24
lostfriend
Zone Friend

one thing i forgot.
When i manualy rename one of the pictures than it replaces an empty place with an _ ,
and the others dont display anymore, can you fix this in the future`?
Old 05 July 2004, 11:36   #25
Runey
Survivor

Lets see if I can answer all those questions

I have written a script to import the TOSEC dat into Access. This gives me things like game names, filenames etc etc, but no game info

Unfortunately I don't have access to the raw data of the HOL database. Only what is online. So I can't write a script for that at this point. With luck this might change. Most of the info is coming from HOL though, but is being entered manually as a game is tested.

Zipped files will almost certainly be implemented. The function is already there just has to be tweaked.

As for picture names the format is like this. The first picture can be called whatever you like as long as you point to it. e.g. Snapshot.png All other pictures for the same game must be name like this Snapshot_1.png, Snapshot_2.png etc etc. If you have changed the name of a picture from what is was set then GameBase can no longer find it. You would need to tell GameBase what the new filename is. Pictures will be supplied in packs in the future so all you will need to do is unzip the pack into the root directory or wherever.

The gamelist and info screens are not resizable. Probably wont be for the forseeable future either. Too many other things to worry about at the moment. But of course once the current (long) list of problems / features are dealt with, who know?

Things are going slower than I would like with further updates New job, going on holidays soon, having to learn PHP, SQL blah blah blah. Though while things are going slower than I would like, they are still going. I'm hoping to have game testing in full swing well before my trip (8 weeks). After that there will be a new release about every 100 games that have been fully tested. New releases may or may not have new features (maybe just new games and bug fixes).

Well I'm babbling again. Hope I answered all your questions
Old 05 July 2004, 12:26   #26
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runey
Unfortunately I don't have access to the raw data of the HOL database. Only what is online. So I can't write a script for that at this point. With luck this might change. Most of the info is coming from HOL though, but is being entered manually as a game is tested.
As you said, this may change when you will have finished your website and will be fully member of all the abime.net projects
Old 03 August 2004, 03:20   #27
Unregistered

Aha I was wondering if there was a database of game info around (apart from BTTR's "use ecs config"). Is there a downloadable version available at all?

Old 03 August 2004, 14:45   #28
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Suggestions for this project:

a) Call it GameBaseAmiga instead.
b) Base it on CAPS Ipfs (better yet Whdload games but i doubt this is possible )
c) Be an official HOL project.
Old 03 August 2004, 20:16   #29
fiath

I think I remember them saying they would use IPF's where possible...
Old 03 August 2004, 21:17   #30
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
Suggestions for this project:

a) Call it GameBaseAmiga instead.
b) Base it on CAPS Ipfs (better yet Whdload games but i doubt this is possible )
c) Be an official HOL project.

Actually, the one I've been working on before I decided to help Runey was called just that. Changing the name would be something that Runey would decide.

I believe Runey's plans were to use IPF's where possible. My only beef with that is that they are not readily available. It would be very possible to use WHDload but I don't think we'll be going in that direction.

From my understanding, Runey is almost finished re-writing his website and once that is done, again from what I've read here, it will become an official HOL project.

However, once Runey has some free time I'm sure he will update everyone on this.
Old 04 August 2004, 11:22   #31
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Fair enough, Ill await what he has to say.
Old 06 August 2004, 11:55   #32
Runey
Survivor

Hi all,

First of sorry for the apparent lack of happenings as of late. I've just changed jobs and that's playing havoc with my spare time. Also the process of creating a new website has been considerably larger than I anticipated. That will tech me for being too optomistic Anyway let me assure you things are happening and it shouldn;t be too much longer.

All right first answer. The name. I too called it GameBaseAmiga at first but wanted something catchier. I also wanted a 'mascot' for the project. I don't know about other countries, but here in Australia (at least with the people I knew) the Amiga was commonly referred to as The Amy. That's Australians being lazy and shortening everthing we can So natural progression, at least for me, was the use Amy the Squirrel as the 'mascot' and call the project GameBaseAmy. So since I'm partial to that name and that I went to the trouble of getting Eric Swartz's permission to use Amy, I am reluctant to change it. Sorry

Initially only TOSEC will be used. But CAPS is a certainty, just not straight away. I want to make sure things are running smoothly with one particular format before expanding the options. Oh and the same goes for WHDloads. I have thought about it, but have not looked at the possiblilty yet. One step at a time.

As for being an official HOL (abime) project. Well I'd love to, but thats not up to me. I would hope that after I prove to the HOL guys that I'm serious that GBA would become another abime project. After all they have been generous enough to let me host the new site on their servers.

Well I'm to get some sleep to recover from my bush trip (work) and start fresh again on GBA tomorrow
Old 06 August 2004, 11:59   #33
oldpx

Amy is just fine. Look at other projects, "back to the roots" or "hall of light". There doesn't have to be "Amiga" word everywhere. People who are interested enough will easily find out GameBaseAmy is about Amiga. They should be at least THAT bothered!

Old 06 August 2004, 17:49   #34
Mangar
Got the fever back

I agree with Burseg. GamebaseAmy is fine. I would have liked to have thought up something more original than GamebaseAmiga but couldn't really think of anything. Well, originally it was called C.A.F.E. shot for Commodore Amiga Front End but that was before James Burrows rewrote Gamebase64 and made it a universal frontend for all emulators. Although, it would have been sweet if some of the C.A.F.E. code was incorporated into it because it had built in mod support. I never did like using external programs. Mainly because they weren't written with my needs in mind.

Don't worry about being busy. We all get that way once in a while. Take your time and make sure things are done right the first time is what I always say.

Drop me an e-mail, Runey, when you recover from the bush trip.
Old 06 August 2004, 18:35   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Good luck with the project then!
Old 26 December 2004, 21:02   #36
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

*bump*

So how is this progressing guys? Don't mean to be pushy but is it still being worked on?

Old 27 December 2004, 08:54   #37
Runey
Survivor

It's progressing (slooooooowly)

A new job and a couple of rapid promotions have meant little time for anything else. Luckily I have this week off So I'm frantically working on Amy right now.

Watch the web site and expect a release BEFORE new years (Oz time).

The release will include the following:
1) Database file to use with Gamebase frontend
2) Script and config files
3) Dat file to use with ClrMamePro (to convert existing ADF libraries into a GamebaseAMY one)
4) If I get time an Installer to make life easier

This will be for approximately 5000 games.

No images or niceties this release. Concentrating on the database and configuration. Screenshots etc will come next year.

After this release I will be concentrating on the following:
1) Changing ADF images to more suitable ones (via user feedback)
2) Changing config files for individual games (via user feedback)
3) Making it easier to install and setup

After that will come screenshots, music, manuals etc etc

Will better get back to work.