English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 04 January 2010, 16:04   #21
Marcuz

either dungeon based and/or by some option in a text file inside the package?
Old 04 January 2010, 16:49   #22
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
But there are monster generators out there (especially at level 4) so that you have infinite amount of screamers.
There are also infinite worms on the worm level (worm rounds, yum!) and rats further down in the dungeon (drumsticks, very good for food supply). Screamers (Screamer slices, yum!) are the easiest infinite food source, but they show up quite early in the game, and will be of little use further down the dungeon (same for worms).

Basically, when you know the game a little, it's going to be hard to run out of food. Playing with one character is also an option, but, this is a lot more difficult when you're a beginner, so that may not be an option (although it's certainly not impossible).
Old 04 January 2010, 19:12   #23
skan
Dream Merchant

@meynaf

The new dungeon is damn enjoyable! It's a real pleasure to slaughter all those screamers in the huge hall! ;D
Old 04 January 2010, 19:44   #24
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:

This gives me the idea to make food and water a little bit different. The game never warns you about this and you just weaken and die. What if it wrote a warning message at the bottom, like Evil's doom does ?
Bloodwych has a nice system for this.

when your food level is at zero, your vitality begins to drop.

Once your vitality is at zero (as with, becoming exhausted during a long battle) it will begin to eat away at your hit points, often just taking away 1 HP at a time.

I cant recall if you can actually die from lack of food, or if iy just keeps you at 0 vitality and 1HP at the end. Anyway, you can always 'summon' a monster and kill him for food. Or funnier still, barter with him and buy half-eaten food for 1 piece of gold
Old 05 January 2010, 17:27   #25
skan
Dream Merchant

@meynaf

I talked too much too soon...those mummies are damn hard to kill!!!
The fun has died as soon as I pressed the giga-opener button! ;P
Old 06 January 2010, 10:09   #26
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
either dungeon based and/or by some option in a text file inside the package?
I took some time to think about this. Now the easiest solution would probably be to make an exe with food+water decrease disabled, just for you. After all, who else could be interested by that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
@meynaf
The new dungeon is damn enjoyable! It's a real pleasure to slaughter all those screamers in the huge hall! ;D
This is the start. Enjoyable, sure, but tooooo easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Bloodwych has a nice system for this.

when your food level is at zero, your vitality begins to drop.

Once your vitality is at zero (as with, becoming exhausted during a long battle) it will begin to eat away at your hit points, often just taking away 1 HP at a time.

I cant recall if you can actually die from lack of food, or if iy just keeps you at 0 vitality and 1HP at the end. Anyway, you can always 'summon' a monster and kill him for food. Or funnier still, barter with him and buy half-eaten food for 1 piece of gold
But DM's system is very similar. When characters lack food, this reduces stamina. In turn, when stamina is 0, it's HP that decreases.

Quote:
@meynaf
I talked too much too soon...those mummies are damn hard to kill!!!
The fun has died as soon as I pressed the giga-opener button! ;P
Yes, but if I make something that's just easy like the beginning here, where will the fun be ?
Old 06 January 2010, 10:39   #27
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Yes, but if I make something that's just easy like the beginning here, where will the fun be ?
Damn right, but maybe a couple of intermediate quests/levels between screamers and mummies would be nice!
The whole dungeon would be way more balanced IMHO.

Oh, btw: I managed to force the locked gate and read the final message: bug or intentional?
Old 06 January 2010, 12:12   #28
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Damn right, but maybe a couple of intermediate quests/levels between screamers and mummies would be nice!
The whole dungeon would be way more balanced IMHO.
You don't know what will happen in here later

As long as you managed to get even with it, I'm not sure this is really a problem. Besides, there are ways to dodge them, and even one way to just skip that part (I'm not telling how ). Furthermore, the fights here will give you heaps of experience.

Next release will be on Friday or so. I have several more levels in store.

Btw I'm happy to see that someone finished that starting part - and at least enjoyed a piece of it

Quote:
Oh, btw: I managed to force the locked gate and read the final message: bug or intentional?
You never played EOB, did you ?
Old 06 January 2010, 12:35   #29
Marcuz

Quote:
I took some time to think about this. Now the easiest solution would probably be to make an exe with food+water decrease disabled, just for you. After all, who else could be interested by that ?
I have decided to try it again the normal game to get my bearings and then your levels. if i cannot really get in the game, i will just stop trying, water/food in or out

but i cannot do it currently, too much work. i hope to be able to by the end of january
Old 06 January 2010, 14:30   #30
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
You never played EOB, did you ?
Well, I did - 18 years ago at least!
So memory doesn't really help now, sorry!
Old 06 January 2010, 15:10   #31
Thorham
Computer Nerd

@meynaf:

Could you make your dungeon editor (preferably with source code!) available for download? It sucks to have to use CSBuild, because of the incompatible format (it's a good enough editor otherwise).

Thanks
Old 07 January 2010, 12:47   #32
skan
Dream Merchant

Ok, a quick update/report:

- I killed all the mummies, found secret walls, collected keys, killed every single monster out there, gone everywhere and checked every single wall for secret buttons and stuff, but I cannot open the wooden door in the small room (the one with with pits and buttons/levers to close them). Do I miss something?

-if I cast a Ya Bro Ros spell (Magic Trails) nothing happens and after a few steps the game quits with an "incorrect floor decoration - 15 max 4" (or something...) error.

EDIT:
Ok, it seems I missed a secret wall! Now I managed to open the door from behind! So, did I finish the quest?

Last edited by skan; 07 January 2010 at 14:16. Reason: hidden wall found...
Old 08 January 2010, 14:32   #33
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
-if I cast a Ya Bro Ros spell (Magic Trails) nothing happens and after a few steps the game quits with an "incorrect floor decoration - 15 max 4" (or something...) error.
Thanks for the report, I will check this. It must really work ; I've probably broken something...
Today's update doesn't fix that, but next one will.

Quote:
EDIT:
Ok, it seems I missed a secret wall! Now I managed to open the door from behind! So, did I finish the quest?
Apparently you did. But I've just upped my next version, with new levels. Let's see if you can finish it !

EDIT: I forgot to say that this new release is at same URL as before.

Last edited by meynaf; 08 January 2010 at 14:39. Reason: forgot to say...
Old 08 January 2010, 17:47   #34
skan
Dream Merchant

Oh, sh!t! Must I start d2 all over again? I just can't go on from my last gamesave! ;P

EDIT:
Ok, I started the whole dungeon again and now I'm stuck. Guess where? WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT BUTTON DO!!!

EDIT (again):
Killed other foes, found other keys, pressed other buttons...the usual DM routine, I SOOO love it!!!
Yeah, I solved the "heck button" mystery, gone downstairs and now I'm trying to kill all those monsters in the "object hall" (or whatever it's called...), since I miss some keys otherwise I'm stuck... (one emerald, a Ra and another one)

Congrats anyway: it's damn playable and enjoyable!

Last edited by skan; 11 January 2010 at 10:54. Reason: slowly progressing...
Old 11 January 2010, 19:31   #35
meynaf
son of 68k

You appear to be very good. I have to make next levels before you finish this version

I'm delighted that you enjoy the thing. It's just too bad you couldn't go like that in my other one.
Old 11 January 2010, 23:45   #36
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
You appear to be very good. I have to make next levels before you finish this version
Hehe, thanx but not so fast!
Now I'm stuck at the "key aggregator" gates and I can't find the last missing key!
I killed every single monster in the object hall, been through the "slow/fast progression" part, found a diamond key. Now I'm running up and down every single level so far, but I'm stuck, really!
And I noticed screamers and worms re-generate no longer, I'm kinda starving!

Quote:
I'm delighted that you enjoy the thing. It's just too bad you couldn't go like that in my other one.
I think I'll pick it up again as soon as I finish this one (or so I hope!)

Quick bug report:

-monster make no "steps" sounds. Is that normal?
-"War Cry" makes no sound as well!
-I left many items on the floors around to mark parts of the dungeon for a quick-reference, but almost everything disappeared apart from a couple of rocks and clubs...
Old 13 January 2010, 20:46   #37
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Quick bug report:

-monster make no "steps" sounds. Is that normal?
This is because meynaf ported the Atari ST version to Amiga. This version has doesn't have all the Amiga sounds in it.
Quote:
-"War Cry" makes no sound as well!
This is again because of the difference between ST and Amiga versions. He probably just hasn't added it yet.
Quote:
-I left many items on the floors around to mark parts
of the dungeon for a quick-reference, but almost everything disappeared apart from a couple of rocks and clubs...
This could be because you used non-important items such as Screamer slices. Such items can disappear to make room in the item database.
Old 13 January 2010, 23:45   #38
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
This is because meynaf ported the Atari ST version to Amiga. This version has doesn't have all the Amiga sounds in it.
Oh, I see!

Quote:
This could be because you used non-important items such as Screamer slices. Such items can disappear to make room in the item database.
Thx again for the explanation!

It's a pity I can't progress any longer. I've really been anywhere and double-checked every single wall, button, corridor, everything. I just can't find the last damn key for the "concentrator". It seems there's no monsters left too, it's sooo silent in here! (and I feel damn lonely too! )
Old 14 January 2010, 02:02   #39
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Hi meynaf,

I've been trying your nightmare dungeon again. This time I'm doing it my way, and I'm going solo Guess what? I've found a way to kill the monsters in the hell, err, hall of champions Halk is now Craftsman Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Novice Priest and Journyman Wizard, heheh.

The 'technique' isn't perfect yet, it's my first try with this method, and I've exhausted the food you can find early on (where the monsters don't follow), and Halks food is running in the yellows. However, it works, and I've basically allowed myself to take too much damage, resulting in having to rest a lot more than needed. With enough finesse it's probably possible to clear the whole hall of champions of monsters right from the start.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 14 January 2010, 08:18   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
This is because meynaf ported the Atari ST version to Amiga.
Why port the Atari ST version and not edit the Amiga version? - Sounds intresting though porting the ST version.